Admittedly lost

Discussion in 'The Newbie Zone' started by Giuseppe, Jul 13, 2013.

1. Giuseppe New Member

So about a week ago I decided I was interested to give EverQuest another spin after a great deal of years. I never really played another video game in my life and EQ was pretty much the only one. Thing is I never managed to get past level 35, if I remember correctly. I was a very bad player, apparently, and also quite young. Now I see that this game is incredibly....tricky. The first 15 levels I was duo'ing with my brother so there wasn't much of a problem. But he, being younger and impatient and not knowing the great history of EQ, dropped out fast. After that I got lucky and managed to find someone who power leveled me all the way to 29 on two separate occasions. Now, however, I am completely lost! I know pretty much the basics, but I did admittedly skip all the Gloomingdeep quests (was far too eager to go exploring when I logged on) and so I have all terrible gear. I have every single last spell necessary, and a Tier II merc, but I can't seem to find a single good place to grind, and the second I think I've found one ...I'm killed 5 minutes later. Should I just give up? Was I never meant to finish EQ? I think in the past it was easier for me because I could always find a group and just kind of tagged along. Solo'ing is very hard. Thnx.

Edit: Please note that despite the fact I never made it past 35, I played many, many characters. I've been thru the 1-20 levels in the game numerous times, but I never really saw the high end stuff because, as I said, I was very young back then and lost the time to play it when I was around 15. Now I'm 24, and quite determined to see that high end stuff I never had the chance to see all those years ago. Cheers.
  2. Borek-VS Augur

If you haven't already, roll a new character just to run through Gloomingdeep - paying attention to all the walls of text. When you have done that, feel free to switch back to your preferred character. If you are level 29-35, I suggest you try Blightfire Moors; there's a camp of sporali just north of the crossroads, and some silverfur rats north and east of there. You can also try the Hot Zone quests to get some gear upgrades (belt, cloak and shoulders) - see Franklin Teek in Plane of Knowledge, he will send you to Frontier Mountains or Dawnshroud, which are both decent zones.

Tank merc, I hope?
  3. Zakor Elder

Hire a mercenary, hire a tank, and the tank will help you very much in your leveling. Take Borek's advice, it is good.

Let us know what server you are on, I'm sure that you'll find someone to help you.
  4. Jezzie Augur

You missed out on a bunch getting PL'd. Try the Hero's journey quests, Crescent Reach is easy and it'll give you a full set of simple defiant by the time you're early 20's, then you can do the quests in Blightfire, Stonehive etc. and upgrade as you go. Also speak to Secalna by the Crescent Reach stone in Plane of Knowledge. She gives you quests that'll help explain some aspects of the game (bit of reading, how to set up mercs is a must have).
    Couple of her quests you'll get rewards such as a free bag and a free house, slow down and enjoy the scenery a bit. You can race through it when you reroll or alt it up.
  5. Gonzo Joe Apprentice

It's not too late to go back and do the Hero's Journey quests on your current character. Type /ach in game and go through and look at what's available. Yes, you'll be doing some level 1 quests and several others well below your level, but if you don't have level appropriate defiant gear from the bazaar, the rewards from the quests and completing the achievements will help out greatly.

Also, since you mentioned T2 Mercenaries, I'm assuming you're F2P. That's fine, but if you can't afford or don't want to pay for gold to get access to Journeyman Mercenaries, strongly consider paying the one time 500 SC for a silver account. The T5 Mercenaries, even as apprentices, are much much better than the T2.

-Gonzo Joe