Adding a Enchanter to box group looking for advice

Discussion in 'The Newbie Zone' started by Mattnaik, Nov 29, 2016.

1. Mattnaik Lorekeeper

Hello. I am currently in the process of PLing an Enchanter to add to my box group and I was hoping someone would have some pointers on how to use them during fights. The main reason I rolled one was to help out with big pulls, CC and also for mana buffs. I'm curious what else to add during the fight or what other roles they have that can be helpful.

My current box crew is SK, ranger, mage, shammy and healer merc. What's a typical set of macro's I should setup to use during combat for my Enchanter especially during longer fights with named mobs? I really don't know much about the class other than it's CC abilities and buffs so any and all advice is appreciated.
  2. moogs Augur

Ah, cool. I box an enchanter on my second account and I'm heading home for the day in 10 minutes. Will be glad to share a few macros and spell lineups in a little bit.
  3. moogs Augur

I think we have similar goals. This is not expert advice, and you're going to learn a whole lot more - if you want to - from people that play the class as their main in the class discussions section. I went from "YES! Level 60!" *log in enchanter to KEI Moogs, log out* to having my enchanter be an indispensable part of whatever I want to do in EQ. There are more efficient and more effective ways to do things. This is what I am doing today. I am willing to learn from others and change up my ways and I hope you will be too.

Mezzing and Pulling: The Not So Advanced Guide. (You said you know how CC works so I've posted this for other readers' benefit.)

Most will say that the Enchanter should pull for your group. They are one of the most effective classes performing this role. I'm very comfortable pulling on my Druid, and I have the Enchanter there to assist when I feel that things could get dicey. (Spells and abilities referenced are for level 105.) Get the 4 ranks of Mezmerization Mastery if you haven't already, or if they haven't been Auto Granted. This extends single target mez spell duration by 24 seconds. Does not affect AoE mez abilities!

If your SK is a beast that can take hits from multiple mobs, you might like to just grab a bunch of mobs and mez after the fact. You can do this in a number of ways.

1. Pull a bunch, have a macro to assist your SK and cast Deadening Wave. It's a targeted AoE mez, so it will mez mobs in a tight group around the targeted mob. This lasts for 54 seconds on each mob. Alternatives: Beam of Slumber, Scintillating Beam AAs.

2. Enable 3D Target Ring in your options. Before the pull, have the enchanter drop Anodyne Stare (for example, in a tight pack of 3 static mobs). Pick one with your SK and pull it. This doesn't last that long. As you're fighting, you can single target and single mez each mob by overwriting Anodyne Stare with your bread and butter single target mez, Bewilder. The resist rate on Anodyne Stare is not as good as with Bewilder so be careful of that. Probably the same with Deadening Wave.

3. Maybe you want to split 2 mobs. Maybe one of them is unmezzable. What I like to do is target the mob that I want on my main, switch to the enchanter and target the one that I want to mez, and quickly cast a debuff to aggro the main mob on my druid and cast Bewilder on the add with my enchanter at the same time.

4. Let's say you don't like how mobs are placed and you want to change their position. Or you have a roamer that adds on you as you're in the middle of a fight. Beguiler's Directed Banishment AA will punt a mob in the direction that your enchanter is facing, root it in place, and also have a pretty good chance to mem blur it. If you want that mob to stay in place semi-permanently, use your ranger's Entrap AA to snare it before you do this...otherwise it will walk back to its spawn point after mez and root wear off.

5. Pacify is great for avoiding adds on incoming in the first place, if you want to take the time to cast it quickly on individual mobs. You probably have a hotkey to cycle between nearest NPCs. Mine is mapped to 'K' but whatevs.

Yesterday I tried something a little different. Just experimenting so this is bound to change. I set up a horizontal hotbar (4 wide, 3 tall) with the top 4 buttons:

/pause 3, /xtar 1
    /cast 4 (Bewilder spell)

/pause 3, /xtar 2
    /cast 4

/pause 3, /xtar 3
    /cast 4

/pause 3, /xtar 4
    /cast 4

In one click, it will mez adds from my Extended Target Window. I use /pause 3 to account for latency. On the same hotbar I have hotbuttons for:

Bewilder spell, Anodyne Stare spell, Beam of Slumber, Scintillating Beam, Beguiler's Directed Banishment, and 3 more abilities to memblur: Fog of Memories AA, item: Unearthed Belt, Blanket of Forgetfulness AA for AoE memblur. I had pretty good success with this yesterday.
  4. moogs Augur

My two main buttons for boxing and clearing trash mobs. I use the enchanter animation pet and I like him a lot. I'm too much of a noob to babysit a charmed pet.

"Engage" - For beginning a semi-long fight.

/pause 4, /assist main
    /pet attack
    /pause 26, /cast 1 (Decree of Tashan)
    /pause 38, /cast 2 (Undermining Helix; some people would prefer to /alt activate 753 for Dready Deeds and use the spell slot for something other than slow but I like Undermining Helix's built-in cripple debuff)
    /cast 7 (Chromatic Blink) - this is a nuke that places a rune on the target's target so it's nice to do near the start of a fight to help the tank

"Nuke" - For when I want to assist clearing trash but don't need to debuff/slow the mob because it's really weak.

/pause 4, /assist main
    /pet attack
    /pause 38, /cast 8 (Mindsunder, your biggest nuke)
    /pause 35, /cast 9 (Mindcleave, next biggest nuke)
    /cast 10 (Polyrefractive Assault, third biggest nuke...I think)

Can make a variant of "Nuke" without the first two lines, freeing them up for more DPS spells, stuns, or abilities (whatever you like). Repeat that until your Named is dead.

Some players prefer to multibind their best damage spells and this is generally best practice UNLESS you are boxing without 3rd party software and you want to push one button and be able to switch to another character for 15 seconds.

For named mobs or just for the hell of it, you can make a hotkey that has a mix of some damage boosting AAs (some may not time well with others but I've not investigated), such as:

Chromatic Haze
    Calculated Insanity
    Improved Twincast
    Illusions of Grandeur
    Ethereal Manipulation
    Third Spire
    Robe item clicky

Silent Casting and Forceful Rejuvenation are good to have at your disposal.

With boxing, my preference is to use two long lasting auras. They're good for, I don't know, an hour or more and they refresh when zoning. When I've finished casting them I switch back to a /spellset that makes better use of those spell gems (group rune or short-term buff, etc.) I usually run with Twincast Aura and Enticer's Aura. There are no conflicts with my druid damage aura.
  5. Caell Augur

Careful with Deadening Wave AoE mez if you are too close you can self mez yourself. The targeted AoE mez Anodyne Stare won't do this.

Boots of the Mosquito is a nice fast clicky memblur.

Keep your Runes up. Veil of Mindshadow AA. Rune from our 1.5/2.x Epic. Spell Casting Subtely AA enabled if you aren't trying to aggro, disabled if you are.

Setup GINA to trigger off of mez, runes, charm, etc dropping, makes it a lot easier to be aware of what's going on.

Chaotic mez line will twincast your next two DD's. Either mez your target and then DDx2 or mez another target then switch back and enjoy the twincast.

Keep Twincast Aura, and Augmenting Aura up.

Mez pulling - mez aggro is different from normal aggro. Say you have some mobs near each other in a line. aggro one and they all come, (only applies if they aren't linked, but just normal aggroing, YMMV.) target the far left or right and then only next closest will come, then blur the one you mezzed. This also works to pull a mob through one or more other mobs, AoE mez the group of mobs and then mob behind the rest comes through the group, then AoE blur the group.(be prepared for resists.)

Don't forget to Tash everything, and slow what you are fighting. Haste and clarity your group (I know obvious, but thought I'd say it.)
    moogs likes this.
  6. Mattnaik Lorekeeper

Wow fantastic info here! Lots to digest. This is more than enough to get me started. Thanks for the info guys!
    moogs likes this.
  7. Caell Augur

Ack, bad memory. :eek:

Boots of the Mosquito is an invis vs animal great for breaking charm.
    Unearthed Belt is the memblur clicky.
    Gorilla Wrangler's Staff, clicky DD for pulling.
    Blue Ceramic Band, clicky DoT for pulling.

Eldritch Rune AA - keep up all the time
    Illusions of Grandeur AA - short term spell focus
    Chromatic Haze AA - groups next 2 DD's 375% damage and will critical.
    Color Shock AA - chance to stun any mob hitting you
    Reactive Rune AA - keep up all the time
    Glyph Spray AA - keep up all the time
    Self Stasis AA - enchanter Fade

Ethereal Manipulation was morphed into the passive AA Tashan's Lingering Cry, good to get.

Enchanter's tend to draw aggro easily and quickly, max CA/CS AA's.

I try to focus on HAGI+ and AC gear/augs. Not as important if a bot/alt, but as a main that Rune Tanks often I find it beneficial.
    moogs likes this.
  8. Caell Augur

Actually, Eldritch Rune will overwrite Enticer's Rune from Enticer's Unity that casts both Polyrefractive Rune and Enticer's Rune. So I usually keep it in reserve, unless fighting something big and you want the extra protection of Eldritch over Enticer's.
  9. moogs Augur

I keep that one ready to click in an emergency when there's no time to cast the Unity spell.
  10. iVALADYANx That's a Necromancer

my 105 hotkey:
    /cast tash
    /pause 30
    /cast und helix
    /pause 47
    /cast bewil con (accuracy debuff/dot

when charm is cast i use tempting aura, the other auras i goto are mana regen and runic.

i keep single and aoe mez spells, aoe is good for split pulls. u can mem wipe single or aoe with the aa hotkeys.

i give pet haste item and weaps.

always keep rune refreshed the dmg taken adds up...there are 2 grp rune aa (melee is reactive, magic is glyph spray_)

the dicho chanter spell is grp spell dmg mod.

phantasmal opponent and mental contortion aa are situational.

best advice is aa charm a roamer when u want to pet tank a namer
    moogs likes this.
  11. SevrinSevendust Elder

Awesome post responses here, making notes of all the great input.
  12. Corak Elder

I am 3 boxing War/Ench/Wiz at 105 in EoK. One of the Ench benefits I have been pleasantly surprised at is just plain dps in a routine single pull environment, where I am seeing my Ench out parse my maxed out Caster DPS merc on auto-assist burn. The EoK mobs live long enough to use the two biggest DoT's (Mind Storm and Drown), and to get in one cycle of the twincast nukes (Chaotic Bewildering-->Mindsunder-->Mindcleave/Poly Assault). You can trigger all this, plus your Tash/slow, off two macro buttons.

That said, the Ench really earns his keep on a multiple pull with AE Mezz, like trying to break into the Drachnid caves in Lceanium. War/Ench is really powerful and fun for stuff like that, and EoK seems to set up a lot of 3 and 4 pull situations.
  13. IblisTheMage Augur

Not much to add to all this good advice, other than I also have a setup that I can bring out if there is a dificult mob, where the enchanter is chaining runes on main tank (normal and agro increasing, possibly also reverse nuke/rune), as well as group rune. When getting a 53k group rune every few moments, it is quite hard for people to die, and the healers job gets a lot easier. It also has some deaggro benefits. In most situations it will be waste of a good toon, but I can imagine if you are low AA and not good gear, it might be a viable alternative.