Added a new laptop to my box setup and having UI issues ... can anyone suggest how to fix this?

Discussion in 'Player Support' started by KimchiGoddess, Jun 12, 2023.

1. KimchiGoddess Augur

I got a new laptop to add to my box collection and I'm having some UI issues I can't quite figure out. I have two other laptops that I didn't experience this issue with though the screen on this one is smaller than the others. I tried the UI scale slider and all it did was make the inventory window huge but none of the others.

I've tried changing the resolution and of course that just makes windowed mode smaller, of course.

Not sure what else to try.

[IMG]
  2. Velisaris_MS Augur

I'm confused...what exactly is the problem?
    CatsPaws likes this.
  3. CatsPaws No response to your post cause your on ignore

Agree ^. The only thing I see are windows close or over the edge which can be fixed by making them smaller or move them then lock in place
  4. Metanis Bad Company

Close EQ on all platforms.
    Right click on the empty Windows desktop and select Display Settings.
    Scroll down and find the Resolution and Scale settings.
    Compare to your working laptop(s).
    Copy the character and UI files from the working laptop that has the exact same Resolution and Scale setting as the new laptop over to the new laptop.
    Alternately and/or additionally adjust the new laptop's display settings to match one of the working laptops.
  5. Fanra https://everquest.fanra.info

EQ is in the process of updating the UI. Right now the slider only works for Inventory, Quantity, Selector, and Story windows.

All other windows will be added eventually. It is a work in progress.
    klanderso, KimchiGoddess and Skuz like this.
  6. KimchiGoddess Augur

I can see that the image is harder to see the issue than when I'm looking at the laptop. The laptop has a much smaller screen so all my windows and all font are absolutely tiny, to the point where if I'm staring at it for an extended time and then look at another window, everything looks way too huge.

Basically I'd like the UI pieces for the chat windows etc to be bigger so they better line up with my other screens. I have 3 32" monitors, then a laptop with a 21" screen and this new laptop is only a 14" screen, so I'm looking to somehow scale up those UI pieces to be bigger. Making the font larger doesn't help because it just makes the font bigger and you can see less words at a time.

I'm not sure how to otherwise explain it.

So I took a look at this and my main PC is set to 100% scale, 1920x1080 while the new laptop is at 150% scale and 1920x1080.

I also always set up my initial Namehere_serverhere.ini and UI_Namehere_serverhere.ini on my main PC and then move them over to the other PCs.

Pretty much every other PC/laptop in my setup is at 100% scale and 1920x1080 with the exception of the new one.

If I'm stuck with it, I'm stuck with it I was just hoping to find a workaround to make the UI pieces slightly larger on that screen.

Putting the new laptop to 100% made everything in windows smaller, of course.

ETA: I just tried putting it to 175% to see if it made a difference. I logged back into EQ and the chat windows were the same, but my task bar and browser are bigger now, lol.
  7. Metanis Bad Company

My laptop solution is to use a much larger external monitor and mostly ignore the laptop's built-in display panel.
  8. Iven the Lunatic

The problems seems to be the synchronisation between the screen resolution and the entry in the ini file. I am wondering why one screen is set to 100% scale and the other to 150% even that they do have the same resolution. Where do you adjust the scale and why not use 100% for both ?

You should just use the native screen resolution and 100% instead, which should be 1280x720 for the 14" laptop. You then would have to fully re-adjust the UI for all toons on that machine. Most of the layout could be just copied from UI file to UI file after the first one is done so you should start with a hybrid class as a template.
  9. Wulfhere Augur

Take a look at the application (eqgame.exe) properties page. Specifically the Compatibility > Change high DPI setting.