Add a delay to /pick abuse

Discussion in 'Time Locked Progression Servers' started by oldkracow, Jun 6, 2017.

1. AgentofChange Augur

LOL. Invis drop in guk? Get kid! You can't pick for 23 mins now say goodbye to that group you finally got after being lfg for an hour.
    Sumonerr_Tunare likes this.
  2. Wowjustwow Elder

It could be if you kill a named or a named PH that you get a long pick timer. Not many named just roam around where you would just happen to randomly agro and kill.
  3. AgentofChange Augur

This is true but also very difficult to implement. I am loving the circular arguments this thread brings about. We should just copy/paste pages 1-2 & make this a 300 page thread.
  4. Accipiter Old Timer

The PH maybe. The named, probably not.
  5. AgentofChange Augur

Ya the named too. That is a ton of work, not sure why you would expect Prathun to be able to do that quickly or easily.
  6. Accipiter Old Timer

LOL, how could you possibly know? "That would be a lot of work" is your answer to about every thread where someone suggests a change. I've been a software engineer for 30 years. You?
  7. daffie999 Augur

It wouldn't be difficult (or it "shouldn't" be). Based on the changes Verant, SoE, DBG all made to EQ over the years it is likely an easy change. The boats would of course break for a few days since every bit of code seems to be tied to them... Just ignore the repeated derailing from the above poster.

As for why there is no change? It's a question of how bad it actually is vs perception and the risk of making things worse. The idea that someone innocently LFG would be harmed by a change is almost laughable... but possible.

This thread all ties to the one overlying issue, RMT/Chrono farming. The real question is does it benefit or hurt DBG. The RMT folk will circumvent DBG and make money w/o buying anything. But Joe Blow buys the Chrono off the DBG site so he can get an item. It's a complex issue, it hasn't stopped this TLP from being successful'ish. But basically it's just nice people vs the heartless.
  8. Wowjustwow Elder

Honestly all DB would need to do is buy 1 or 2 krono from these big sellers, get the IP and trade logs on the guys selling the krono and perma ban the sellers. That really doesn't seem that hard to me and a couple of sweeps would mitigate a lot of this krono farming for a bit.
    Immagine if DB found someone selling krono and they were sitting with a stock of 100 krono on them. If that person gets banned, the krono is gone right? DBG loses nothing from these 100 krono going into ban right? They actually remove some of the krono saturation from the market which would drive people to go directly through DBG to get their krono instead of going to one of the sites.
  9. Accipiter Old Timer

Don't they have to meet up in-game to trade the krono? The guy's standing right there. No need to go all Detective James Gordon. ;)
  10. Rhodz Augur

Obviously you do not understand it is not against the EULA to sell a krono nor buy one.
    From the DBG website:
    When used, this magical Krono adds 30 days membership time to the account of the
    consuming character. This Krono can be used only once.
    • Adds 30 days of game time to the account of the consuming character
    • Fully tradable and saleable
    • No expiration date

Definition of salable
    1. : capable of being or fit to be sold : marketable
    salability
    play\ˌsā-lə-ˈbi-lə-tē\ noun

Now do you understand?
  11. Ghubuk Augur

Only supposed to sell for plat or trade for other ingame items. NOTHING gotten ingame or bought from DBG is allowed to be resold for real life money.
  12. Rhodz Augur

Well, there it is so suit yourself
  13. Sethiroth Augur

Yes this absolutely needs to be done to stop those who pick spam for nameds. Often to the detriment of groups who have been at that camp for hours. I can legitimately say I've never once picked more than twice, and usually only once before I've found a suitable zone to camp in.

My thoughts are: first pick 5 minutes, if you pick again within half an hour, the next one will go up to 7.5 minutes, pick again within half an hour 10 minutes, then 15 minutes, then half an hour. Capping out at half an hour after that, resetting after any half hour period. This still gives most people a few reasonable chances at new pick, but effectively stops a pick camp group from monopolising a series of spawns.

Another issue I find particularly annoying regarding picks, is when the bloody things close down with people in them. I've been in groups where we have fought like champs to secure our camp only for the pick to close and we lose it. This simply is not acceptable. If picks are emptying out, don't close old ones with people in them, simply don't open new ones. People will leave these zones eventually or they will repopulate. I'm not seeing an issue here.
  14. Kahna Augur

Stability is the issue. These zones were never built to have multiple instances open for ages. It was causing server instability and frequently crashing Phinny. Phinny hasn't crashed since the changes.
  15. HoodenShuklak Augur

I had the pick close on me too and i thought it sucked...
    But then i realized the alternative was to sit in a packed zone and get nothing. I figured the trade off was worth it. Its unfortunate sure.... but we both still got to play.
  16. Barudin_Phinigel Augur

Basically this. We went through the same thing on Phinny.
  17. Ghubuk Augur

18. Rhodz Augur

And yet it goes on openly every day.
    Glad I don't fool with the things as mixed messages seems to be their forte.

Legalities are a complex matter to be sure but it could be said in order to sell as many as possible making the device and advertising them as useful as possible would be high on the agenda. That includes selling them. One cannot market as fully salable only to then restrict it as it suits. Things like that tend to blow up in faces.

People ask why they are never restricted on any special servers and why this business of trading in them goes on apace. There it is.