Achievement Hunting

Discussion in 'The Veterans' Lounge' started by Straha, Nov 25, 2014.

1. Straha Journeyman

Saw some of this covered in an archived thread while searching around but nothing recent so thought I'd post here. I enjoy the achievement system, even with having to go back and redo a lot of things for achievements I've already accomplished and have been slowly whittling down old content I never got a chance to do back in the day. While working on all this achievement hunting I've run into several stumbling blocks in various areas that don't make much sense nowadays so thought I'd bring them up for discussion and suggest fixes to make them more enjoyable and attainable for the OCD crowd like myself that sees all those unchecked boxes and starts twitching.

First of all the raid/mini-raid/large group requirement achievements for older content is a real pita, you can't complete the Hero's Journey set of achievements without doing quite a few raids from some pretty old content. For the most part this is stuff no one has any reason to want to do other than achievements, the drops are outdated and the events are easy to do, the main hurdle is gathering people willing to join up and for content this old the roadblocks don't make any sense. Basically anything Seeds of Destruction or lower should have the requirements reevaluated like allowing mercs and minimum numbers to let people experience the content without being forced to gather and tie up a gaggle of people. Some examples:

MPG Group Trials- If you're not flagged as a heroic character these are worth doing for the resist bonus and should require 2 people at most if not just make them soloable, also remove the lockout timer so when players do decide to do them they can knock all of them out at once rather than be forced to keep coming back to the maze that is the Proving Grounds.
    BiC/Assistant Researchers symbol- These should require two people at most with adjustments to the raid mechanics to allow for less people where needed, there's no good loot or reward for these so the only real reason is the achievement.
    Serpent Seeker's Charm of Lore- 2-3 people minimum for these, you can get like 75% of the series done solo but the final raid drop pieces stop you dead and I believe some of the raid drops only come one at a time so you're basically asking to do these for one person at a time to benefit as again no real drops or reward for others.
    Dragons of Norrath Progression- Some of the special AAs from these are worthwhile but the minimum to do this should be 2-3 people for everything.
    Timeshear- Stardouser mini raid should be requestable with 2-3 people to be able to finish up this series.

Another major annoyance with doing all these achievements has been having to go back and redo content just for the achievement. In some cases I accept there's just no helping it as there's no way to really track if you did the achievement or not before it was implemented like the 10,000 or more orcs, gnolls, kobolds, etc I killed doing faction as an Iksar back in the day. However in other cases it wouldn't take much to give credit for things a player has definitely already done, for example:

The Nights of the Dead Achievement- Pernicious Puppets, I saw a lot of people having to look for others to redo the monster mission portion of this achievement. The reward for the quests from that year was the Bone Mask of Horror Skelly Illusion, you can only have that mask if you did all of the quests required for the achievement so if I have the mask I should get the achievement automatically instead of being forced to redo it.

The Frostfell Achievement that results in Santug's Stocking is the same way, if I have the max version of the Santug Stocking I have the associated achievement already so add a tag to the item.

Explorer Achievements- Some of the annoyance in these can be taken out with just a few flags on items, keys, other achievements, i.e. if I have the epic 2.0 you know I've been inside Anguish. Though not that big a deal as the worst hurdles were removed from the required list like the light and dark chapel a few flags for some of the more annoying to revist zones would be nice. As long as I'm on the subject why in the world are things like all 3 guild halls required for the Classic Everquest explorer achievement when they weren't part of Classic EQ?

Finally the Slayer/Hunter achievements, I've run into a few problems and weird choices with the Slayer achievements mainly certain mobs not counting as something they should. Classic Frogloks for example only count as Frogloks for the kill 100 and kill 1000 achievements if they're a model that is wearing chainmail, shirtless old frogloks don't count as frogloks for some reason. Minotaurs using the Warden Hanvar model don't count as minotaurs, banestrike says you haven't mastered this race. Xulous only count from the Dead Hills but according to lore the tall oddly dressed undead in Crypt of Decay/Ruins of Lxanvom are in fact Xulous brought there by Bertox, granted this achievement is optional and meant to get people to kill new Xulous in CotF but CoD Xulous should count or the achievement info should be more specific. Same thing with the Witch Mount kill 100 brooms achievement, there are broom model mobs in the HoT Library but they don't count as brooms since it was put in for Arx broom models, the dinosaur achievement is similar since Raptors don't count as dinosaurs but I understand that one better. Fear Shardlings in RoF East Wastes don't count as golems or Elementals so banestrike won't work on them either, not sure if it's the model or just that version.

Since I'm just posting my thoughts and hopes here I'd be remiss if I didn't end on asking for Hunter Achievements in older content too as I've seen in other threads. Most of the old expansion tabs are pretty bare and having hunters to work on in those would be enjoyable nostalgia, especially if there was some kind of decent reward. I'd be interested in what others think as far as what mobs should be on the kill lists and what kind of goodies should be granted. Personally I'd like things like Iksar furniture or ornaments for doing all of Kunark, like a Hero's forge version of classic Iksar plate, the cow and batskull helms, maybe a classic froglok healer merc, etc. Similar stuff for Velious, Velious type furniture/building materials, a coldain or othmir merc, and so on with other expansions.
  2. Vlerg Augur

it's likely on their ''to-do'' list... near the bottom of the list, but on the list.