Absorbing an alt as a Persona

Discussion in 'The Veterans' Lounge' started by Rylak, May 1, 2024.

1. Captain Video Augur

A persona >IS< the main character. No, an alternate persona does not get a separate housing quota.
  2. error Augur

If they let you merge an alt into a persona then the best way to level a persona would be to level an alt :confused:
  3. Velisaris_MS Augur

And if all No Trade gear was made Heirloom and they made achievements server specific (like Overseer achievements) instead of being character specific, there would be no need for personas.
    Ozon likes this.
  4. JetZeppelin2h Augur

If what you just said was true then there would be no difference between alt and persona except the names to contact them would be different. So if you want to play a toon on your account that other players don't know who it is an alt would be the way to go. If you want an alt that others will auto know who the player is then make a persona. So really alts are pointless with persona unless you want 2 of the same class or want to hide who you really are. Persona would be the way to go if you want to play a different class but want everyone to know that class is the same as your main toon's name.

The one issue with what you are saying would increase how many houses you can have per toon since if all no gear becomes heirloom that means you can create 3 houses per toon and just move all the gear to different toons once your main's house gets maxed.
  5. Waring_McMarrin Augur

There is still the issue of needing to transfer items from alt to alt as you needed instead of having everything all in a single place.
  6. error Augur

Could take it to an extreme and add shared achievements for all notable items so your alts on the server would get a quest reward popup for their own archetype's version of said item. Solutions exist, but it's all kind of moot since personas are already implemented.
  7. Galvanize Lorekeeper

Personas definitely have a use case for wanting to make an alt that maintains all your main's tedious progression (Hero AA/Max Artisan Prize, Clickies, Trophies) Darkpaw has them in a state where they are 90% complete.

Gear storage issues aside, personas would be at least functional if they gave them a levelling path to max level. Currently they cannot be used on live servers without sitting and waiting for overseer or a horrific level of grinding that the Devs said they wanted to get away from. At this point them coding anything dedicated to personas is probably out of the question, so why not just a flat huge % XP buff for personas?

If MainChar == Maxlevel grant personas a 500%? 1000%? XP buff. To keep it from interfering with the TLP cashcows set a minimum level that this effect kicks in at?
    Bernel likes this.
  8. Velisaris_MS Augur

Dude, that's how it already works. I make an alt...boom...I now have 3 additional houses of storage space for all of my toons on that account.
  9. Waring_McMarrin Augur

There would still likely need to be a lot of items that would be transferred from alt to alt such as market place, expansion claims, and various items that can be used by different classes. If people are looking to share gear between classes personas still have the edge as it eliminates the need to move gear around when switching classes.
  10. Flatchy Court Jester

11. Flatchy Court Jester

Sorry timed out then double posted....
  12. Lluianae Elder

Personas are pretty much the same concept as being able to switch jobs on the fly in FFXIV as you don't have to repeat an inordinate number of quests, trades, achievements and some gear can be shared.

"Augs" do exist in the form of materia and some jobs may want different statted ones (think heroic Type 3s), but the end result is pretty insignificant vs base gear. The game lets you save gear sets for seamless job switching. EQ could really benefit from being able to save gear sets like an extended bandolier, but the issue then becomes one of class specific spell augs, or having to go out of your way to get more gear to mitigate that issue.

XIV does have the armoury +100% exp bonus for any class/job that is a lower level than your highest levelled job. You don't see people grinding in PvE (aside from FATEs), but what the game has that EQ lacks at current end-game is bonuses for doing daily objectives. They could consider expanding hot zones and hot zone quests for later levels, reward actually playing in content instead of typing /over.
    Raccoo likes this.
  13. Galvanize Lorekeeper

Yea I'm pretty much picking the lowest effort option for any suggestions because that trainwreck of an AMA where the devs got to answer "No" "We physically can't" "If only we had money" to every other question was really bleak.

FF14 has decent systems but those are based on other events/options/questlines/automatic dungeon queueing, all of which EQ really has none of. Because of that I picked a much higher XP % number, it wouldn't really be a great compromise but at least grinding would be somewhat effective, especially with fellowship XP etc factored in
  14. fransisco Augur

I think the best way would be a new heroic to 115. Its more than time enough to update heroics.
  15. Drencrom Beimeith's Supervisor

85 heroics was in 2014
    100 heroics was in 2022
  16. fransisco Augur

Thats meaningless. Heroics should be based on how far they are spaced from live. 115 would put it still squarley in the FTP and autogrant region.
  17. Waring_McMarrin Augur

Level 85 was released between the last expansion with a level cap of 100 and the first with a level cap of 105.
    Level 100 was released right before the second expansion with a level 120 cap.

Based on that I wouldn't expect a level 115 heroic until after we get an expansion with a 130 or 135 level cap. If the concern was only around the auto grant they could have made the level 100 heroic a higher level.
    NatazzEvoli likes this.
  18. fransisco Augur

Thank you captain obvious once again for that nonuseful response.
    Heroics are about catching up, and I'm sure everyone not named waring can agree that 100 is WAY to far back for someone who wants to catch up on live.
    Raccoo likes this.
  19. Alnitak Augur

I do not agree. I can easily make my level 100 alts into level 120 in a couple of weekends.
    It may take a month for personas (give or take). It shall not call it "WAY to far back".
    For someone with instant gratification sickness and participation trophy craving that may be too slow, for for anybody enjoying playing EQ is actually quite quick.
  20. Waring_McMarrin Augur

If it was so obvious you would know that we are nowhere near the point that they would be willing to add a level 115 heroic to the game. While heroics are about catching up that doesn't mean that the devs and the players are going to agree on what level those heroics should be.

The fact is that when they upgraded them there was still a 20 level gap between them and the max level and they are not going to change that to a 10 level gap less then 2 years later.

Also I never said anything about what level they should be and I am just pointing out what the devs did with the product they released.
    NatazzEvoli likes this.