A new PvP server ?

Discussion in 'Time Locked Progression Servers' started by Rooksmirk, May 16, 2023.

1. code-zero Augur

Here's the thing, the current players on Zek are the only genuine PvP players currently in the game. So you want to just wipe those players characters? Smooooth!!!!!
  2. Rooksmirk Journeyman

Did they develop it ? it seemed they just nerfed/corrected everything from blue servers that would make the game totally unacceptable for players. Like charming a character and sending him attack the guards of a city with exp loss, etc.

I am not quite sure i understand your point but It has been said a few times, that the devs expected players to show their interest in pvp by logging on a server, turning in the book , etc. Well, that argument isn't convincing. When everquest was originally created, was it because tons of players wrote to the devs and asked for this game OR was it for a few devs that decided out of their guts to make a game they would like, inspired by AD&D without knowing if it would be a success ?

If the devs were to be thrilled in that way and be willing to make pvp work , it would be a success i am sure( assuming they have the skills of the original creators) .It is clear they are not interested, unfortunatly.

Why wouldn't you play it if you re 100 % behind it ? A statement a bit contradictory .
    The reason of making one is passion. Thats a great motive.
  3. Rooksmirk Journeyman

Thank you to all that read and/or participated on this topic.

Whether you are for or against a pvp server, we all share the love of this game . Lots of us put a whole lot of time and ressources into this game with a love /hate relationship sometimes.

A new tlp this year, i am all hyped to play it be it DOA or surprisingly ok.

Cheers.
  4. Waring_McMarrin Augur

When there doesn't seem to be any player support for a PVP server why would they be wanting to work on one?
  5. Rijacki Just a rare RPer on FV and Oakwynd

Not everyone likes playing PvP even if they support that others do like playing it.
    TheRealMuramx likes this.
  6. uberkingkong Augur

No lie but EQ/EQ2 pvp isn't there compared to other MMOs.

Other MMOs do PvP a lot lot better than EQ, that pretty much the PvP population which is millions and millions, they do not play EQ.

EQ if they do PvP and want it to be successful they need to put time and effort into making it successful.

Approach to make another PvP server and no effort into making it success will lead to another extremely low populated PvP server.

1. Maps need to show swords where enemy players are at, EQ maps are hot garbage so this is outta thw indow
    2. Teams and objectives, EQ needs to set up objectives and team based mode, capture the flag, too much work for these developers who struggle with current tasks, UI update delayed and lots of bugs apparently? Struggle is real.
    3. PvP rewards, PvP system lots of improvement needed

This game doesn't invest much into PvP thats why there is no PvP presence people that PvP are in other games. They are in the this other game has decent PvP has room for improvement, keep playing it.

EQ PvP, horrible, has room for improvement but a ton of effort will be needed due to neglecting it for 20+ years.

I like PvP, but if its Rallos Zek 2.0, no thanks. Rather see Vaniki 2.0 and never see a Rallos Zek 2.0, Rallos Zek 2.0 is hot garbage, I wouldn't even show up to a "show up, to show interest in Rallos Zek pvp ruleset so they make a 2.0" event. Nope no thanks in Rallos Zek 2.0.

EQ decides to improve Rallos Zek pvp ruleset, well it failed right away. The failure is with the foundation of Rallos Zek pvp ruleset.
    People like teams, 80v80, 80v80v80. Not FFA in 40 instance zone.

EQ PvP isn't even really open world either anymore because instances, 30 people in an instance and new instance. Instances take away the open world feel.

Open world raids. AoC takes away the vibe. Sure you can do both, but since people can do AoC, the OW bosses don't feel that special anymore. Same with PvP.

Other games do 80v80v80, way more than fake open world 30 people than new instance of zone shows up, never reaching 240 players in a zone going at it with each other like other MMOs with millions and millions of PvP players are enjoying.

No to PvP server if they are not going to seriously think about going for a successful run of PvP. I don't want a just do a Rallos Zek 2.0, so we can say we did a PvP TLP. Thats just proving point of you did it and failing on purpose to say to community told ya it was failure, we did it though.

Quit failing on purpose, you going to do it, do it right or don't do it at all.
    You a person told to make it happen, well try and make it a success, don't secretly sabotage and make it failure so you can tell everyone told you so.
    Rooksmirk likes this.
  7. TheRealMuramx Elder

They tried to develop it, but the game was never based on PvP. eventually they just gave up on polishing everything. Why bring balance when 90% of the players aren't playing that aspect of the game?

Again what? This has nothing to do with the topic or what I said. I am not sure if this was some "gotcha moment." but it is so far off the mark I have nothing to say.

It's a business, this game has swapped hands many times now. They aren't looking for ways to reinvent the wheel. they are looking for what brings in the most money. PvP is not it and never will be. It doesn't matter if the head at DPG was the biggest PvPer ever.... the amount of people that would play on it would probably barely pay for the power for the server....

Not contradictory at all. I support my community even if they like stuff that I don't care about. I want people to play the game and be happy. You have to be a pretty miserable individual to be angry at everyone and wat to see the game fail because you didn't get what you wanted....
  8. Britans New Member

I don't get it, why doesn't anyone want to play on the existing pvp server? *fumbles through notes* Says here it's last pvp patch was just a short 19 years ago, sounds playable to me. Sorry, there's just NO evidence that PVP is a profitable, desirable game type, and if you take out World of Warcraft, Warhammer, Elder Scrolls, Fortnite, PUBG, League of Legends, Ashes of Creation, Dark & Darker, V-Rising, Sea of Thieves, Destiny, Apex Legends, Overwatch, Rust, and MAYBE some game called Diablo, you'd see my point. PVP is too niche a genre obviously.
    Rooksmirk likes this.
  9. Waring_McMarrin Augur

No one is making any claims that PVP isn't a desirable aspect of some games, just that it isn't something that is going to draw in players in Everquest. Many of the problems that people complained about when we still had PVP forums such as balance and cheating are still problems in Everquest and they will still be problems if they make a new PVP server.

Just because some games are are designed around PVP and can do it doesn't mean that all games can or should do it.

Remember the PVP game died before they stopped doing updates just for PVP.
  10. Hdizzle Augur

The primary flaw with EQ pvp is simply there is no objective. The only semblance of an objective "back in the day" was zone control/content control.
  11. Waring_McMarrin Augur

And the PVE game had similar goals when it came to raid targets.
  12. Britans New Member

Your argument makes absolutely no sense. Do you think the literal dozens of successful pvp games came out with perfectly balanced and no cheating? EQ was one of the first games out of its type, so saying it was or wasn't designed to pvp is conjecture. I had the ability to attack another player when the game came out via /duel, so by that logic it WAS created with pvp in mind.
    Secondly, saying a PVP game died before they updated it is hilarious considering at its height, 2004, EQ only had 550k active subscribers. Mind you 2004 was the LAST time any pvp balancing was patched. EQ PVP didn't "die", it simply became unpopular to a small niche of players who, at that time, realized Sony showed no interest in working on an aspect of the game that not even a year later, the 10 MILLION subscriber hit World of Warcraft, managed to pay attention to.
    People on the forums are going off very dated and inaccurate information to form a conclusion that 1. the game doesn't work for pvp, 2. its not profitable to have a pvp server 3. its a niche game style.

If I were to tell you that texting was pointless and takes too long because back in 2012 we had blackberry's and noone wants to do that, you'd laugh. However Iphone is to WoW PVP, what Blackberry is to EQ PVP; we're all using smartphones because someone thought to put effort into something that has obvious demand.

TLDR: EQ PVP can have demand if effort is put in, but no effort has been made in 19 years.
    Rooksmirk likes this.
  13. Waring_McMarrin Augur

Just because there are some successful PVP games out there doesn't mean that every game can be successful with PVP. There is a reason that PVP died off in Everquest and it wasn't the lack of PVP patches. You are wrong about the fact that the last PVP patch was 19 year ago as they have done balancing since then.

The fact remains is that Everquest has never been good as a PVP game and that shows in the fact that the PVP servers dropped in population enough to be merged into a single one almost 20 years ago.
  14. Britans New Member

Please provide the most updated significant PVP patch notes after the 2004 significant pvp patch balance, I'd love to see it. Mind you its very easy to ctrl f "PVP or Player Versus Player" on their publicly available patch notes. If you don't want to waste your time, I can tell you because I did and it was August 11, 2004. Here is the link if you want to see what I'm referencing https://www.everquest.com/news/imported-eq-enus-63142.
    Also, saying "some successful pvp games" when the "some games" mentioned literally DWARF EQ playerbase, 550k to 10 million in 2004 EQ to WOW, shows that PVP even as early as 2004 was FAR more popular than PVE if correctly patched and balanced.
    Your argument that Everquest can't be successful because 20 years ago it wasn't to a player base that was 1/10th the size of another game holds no merit.
    Rooksmirk likes this.
  15. Waring_McMarrin Augur

It isn't my job to provide you with patch notes not that it is easy to find them from that long ago. Regardless that doesn't change the fact that PVP has always been broken and unbalanced in Everquest and it just isn't a game that PVP will ever be good in.
  16. Britans New Member

Debates work when two people have conflicting sides of an argument. You present your findings and I present mine. We have a spirited debate based on facts, findings, and hypothesis. I presented my argument and supporting facts, while you just said "trust me bro", so yes it is your job in elf court to back up what you say. Its how Elf Law is conducted. PVP wins. I rest my case
  17. Waring_McMarrin Augur

No matter how many other games you point to that have PVP it won't change the fact that Everquest has always been bad at PVP. From the bad balancing with some classes being unable to do anything and others being able to solo groups to the fact that cheating has always been rampant in the game.

No matter how many times you try to claim there hasn't been a PVP patch in 19 years (which isn't true) it won't change the fact that even when they patched it there was still plenty of issues with it.

Unless players are willing to show that they can do the minimum of logging into a PVP server nothing it going to change.
    code-zero likes this.
  18. modsiw Augur

A new PvP server?

No.

/thread