a cheap laptop to play eq on ?

Discussion in 'The Newbie Zone' started by mark, Feb 12, 2019.

1. mark Augur

what specs to play a single eq account without lag (i expect guild hall lobby etc to have lag due to how many people are afk in them).
  2. northstar Augur

A toaster.... Budget wise, don't spend more than $300
  3. Snack Augur

I bought an advanced toaster that could run 1080p for $370ish? It runs two accounts pretty easy. I've actually run more than that with stuff turned down.

...but yeah, pretty much anything that can run an operating system can run EQ at this point.
  4. Buri Augur

It's true the specs aren't very high, today's machines are going to exceed them.
    What I'd look for:
    - a Dual-core or better CPU (no celeron)
    - Windows 7 or 10 (no chromebooks)
    - at the very least 64G storage space. A lot of smaller packages have only 32, and your Win and EQ files will take up half of that. You'll quickly wish you had more space.
    - at least 4G RAM
    - a 15" or better screen size. Not for any runability issues, but the really small screens get cluttered up and it becomes mostly information windows, making it hard to see what you're doing.
    - ideally, a dedicated video card or hybrid. Not a deal-breaker, onboard Intel HD graphics will do, but this is one component that will help greatly with lag. The Athlon A-series (processor with built-in graphics card) has some decent set-ups for the budget-minded.
    eepok likes this.
  5. I_Love_My_Bandwidth Mercslayer

6. Yruc Augur

If you have a job where they give you a computer to use, it will play EQ just fine and it is easy to delete (just remove the folder and its gone...)
  7. xxGriff Augur

My wife and I each have Dell M6600's wSandy Bridge i7's. i got a great deal on them (was $440.00 US shipped w/AC adapters), and while they may be old, they play great and since i dont lug this laptop around, the 17" was fine with us (my Daughter has a M4600 with Quadro 2000m 1gb GDDR5 -15" which i bought atthe same time for $140.00 US). older workstations will have dedicated graphics as well as Dell XPS lines etc, and despite detractors who go on about "Quadro and ATI FirePro.." they do play just fine (my wife M6600 uses Quadro 3000m w/2gb GDDR5 and i upgraded my laptop's video to an ATI R9 290m w/4gb GDDR5 from the FirePro m6100 2gb that came installed. the m6100 2gb was fine, i am just geeky enough to upgrade a laptop). EQ is an old game, and DX9c is not incredibly taxing. fast multi core are you can find, and whatever laptop regardless of "Dedicated Graphics" you will want at least a 128 bit memory interface with the fastest VRAM (not system RAM allocated to graphics). EQ is sensitive to core speed and uses quite a bit of RAM, so if you have onboard video that uses system RAM u can find urself running low. the recommended specs, for me are really min req, and anything above those, you should be gtg.
  8. orionfox Lorekeeper

FYI try this place out:
    https://www.discountelectronics.com/

Its the place in Round Rock where Dell employees would go to get good deals on dell systems/parts. I think they buy Dell surplus (from service stock). Not long after I got downsized and my program was discontinued, all of the 3rd party items we supported starting showing up here :)
    I_Love_My_Bandwidth likes this.
  9. Saura New Member

I just bought from walmart.com a refurbished Dell latitude 6430 for 169.99 after taxes and shipping. I two box on it. 4 when doing sig lines. Plays eq and eq2
  10. Gremin Augur

Check Newegg out for refurbished deals.