A bard or an sk....

Discussion in 'The Newbie Zone' started by Brumski, Dec 22, 2012.

1. Brumski Augur

In all the times I've come back to EQ, I've always played tanks. The last sk I played was on Test and got him up to 76 with around 3k aa's. I eventually got bored due to the lack of people in general and not much going on.

Now I'm thinking about giving the game a try again, but perhaps on Live where there is more current raiding going on. However, I'm torn between going with my tank-mentality and a bard. I love both classes but being a tank always has a laundry list of requirements before doing anything current. Granted, I may never get any toons to raiding but its an option I'd like to have.
    I was thinking the bard since they used to be just plain awesome to have in groups when you needed pullers for everything. Is that still the case or is being a bard not the boon it used to be (I would not be boxing, fyi).

I dunno what I'm really asking here. I guess, what do you folks feel would be better. Another sk so I could pretty much do what I want, or play a class that other people would want me around for?
  2. Brumski Augur

I should elaborate a bit more: I don't really know what my goals in game would be. I wouldn't mind trying raiding someday if I got to that point, but that's a big "if". Most of the times I've come back I don't get that far along to participate. For now I'd say raiding would probably not be in the forseeable future.
  3. silku Augur

Both are good for raids. Both are good for xp groups. If you want to be a puller, bard. If you want to be a tank, sk. If you want to solo stuff with ease, sk. If you want to charm kite, bard. Bard is still very powerful as a puller and still very welcome in groups. "Pullers" aren't as needed as they used to be, but it's still welcome to speed things up.
  4. Yther Augur

I really like bard myself. They keep you busy, although it's a lot easier now-a-days with /melody and other tools to save yourself from self-inflicted carpal-tunnel syndrome. Definitely, if not tanking with the bard, will be be less dependant on gear (athough, imho, bard should keep gear up as much as possible) and won't need as many tanking AAs, but I'd still keep CA maxed out and at least the first 6+ ranks of CS.

Their versatility is amazing, and if you can master many of the options, you'll be a desired and exceptional player. Main thing for groups, is pulling, and alternating / selecting appropriate songs to give the most benefit to the current group. Many ways too solo / molo and learning some of the better ones will make exp-ing much smoother and faster.

I didn't cover SK, as you seem pretty familiar with them, and they too are a good versatile tank.

Yther Ore.
  5. YAZZ New Member

Since you spent so much time being a tank, getting buffs and heals from other players, more so that any other class type, perhaps you should pay the community back, role a priest.
  6. Tegila Augur

that's kinda silly. a tank may take more heals and buffs but they also take all the damage and pay their buffers and healers back by keeping the mobs from killing those poor squishies.

if you enjoy playing a tnak/melee you probably wont enjoy playinga toon taht CANT do either
    Vouivre likes this.
  7. Vouivre Augur

If you want to tank in group choose SK. If you want to tank in raids choose a Warrior (not that knights don't tank, but you're more likely to tank often as a warrior).

If you don't want to have to focus most of your leveling time on the gear you need or the AAs you have play a bard. Tanks are far too gear/aug and AA sensitive. Bards need good gear and AAs as well, but can still do a decent job without the best of the best. Tanks are always expected to go above and beyond.
  8. Kirbane Augur

Bards are a blast ive been playing 1 for a long time, we dont tank quite like an SK would but we dont always fold over either. its tough staring out but once you get a feel for all the things at your disposal you can really do a lot, bards are still spoony but every 1 loves them.
    SK's not so much every 1 has an SK laying around some where not every 1 has a bard :D