90% rez

Discussion in 'The Veterans' Lounge' started by eqMath, Mar 27, 2024.

1. eqMath Journeyman

I'm curious about something that's been a thing for a while, and have never really figured out.

Why do some people not want a 90% rez? And only 96%. I feel like the answer should be obvious - it's less exp back, but... isn't the difference really small? How did this come about?
  2. Lyyfe New Member

Maybe it's a holdover from when the difference was much larger in terms of time lost. If you spent hours and hours killing mobs and were barely able to see if the little blue bar in the yellow bubble had moved at all, it was hard to give any of that back with a lesser rez. Even with a 96% rez back then, you had to spend time climbing back to where you were before you died.

- a cleric who traveled all over Norrath responding to tells for a clicky rez
    Nennius likes this.
  3. Silvae Apprentice

For simple math, let's say you lose 10% of a level when you die.
    With a 90% rez you lose 1% of a level every death.
    And a 96% rez you lose 0.4% of a level every death.

So sure, it's only 0.6% different but say your guild is still learning the fights or bad rng or you're really trying impress people with your parse and keep pulling aggro. You die 10-20 times a night, most raid at least two nights a week so that's 20-40 deaths. With 0.4% difference, that's an actual difference of 8%-16% xp per week.

You have people that already struggle to get max level and their core AAs, and asking them to endure let's say 10% xp drain every week is a weight around their shoulders. They now need to keep getting normal xp, AAs, and the xp deficit from raids.

Grinding xp really halts after level 90, where you get 0.03% a kill so that 10% might be 2 hours worth of grinding. And that's all the time the had outside raid.

Or.. they could wait an extra minute and get a cleric rez (or pally out of combat rez), now they have 10% more xp, and they can use those 2 hours outside raid to actually catch up on AAs/etc.
    Nennius likes this.
  4. CatsPaws No response to your post cause your on ignore

Different classes got different rez %. And at different levels.

Cleric (96% or 100% with AA)
    Paladin (90%)
    Shaman (90%)
    Druid (90%)
    Necromancer (93%, requires Essence Emerald).

Around level 60 all of these classes are able to provide the listed percentage; at lower levels they may be unable to, or only provide a lesser resurrection.

Apprentice mercs are 90%
    Journeyman are 96%

Back in the day, we died a lot on raids and it would add up. And just doing missions etc. We would die 10 times a session!!! Its not all marshmelloy like it is now. So it would take a toll on your leveling and exp was much harder to get then.

Now not so much. So easy to get exp back so the % isn't that big of a difference now
  5. Fanra https://everquest.fanra.info

Druids and Shaman get a 96% rez at higher levels with an AA, however it only works if out of combat with no timer.
    Corwyhn Lionheart and Hiiro like this.
  6. Jack Elder

People who won't take my call or my 90% rez can just stay dead until someone else can take time out of their raid duties to rez them with a higher % rez. In a raid setting, anything that gets you back on your feet should be acceptable.

.... All I got for this is this has got to be directed at TLPs and very casual live guilds. If this is for current expansion raids more than a couple of weeks into an event, you're out of your depth here if you're dying this much. I have nights I might have 3 or 4 deaths. Usually AE or add related. Occasionally I end up with myself on target and dot myself.... lag sucks :p But if you're dying this much every week and losing this much exp, you gotta start asking yourself why? Is it your gear? Your healers? Your play style? Also, most guilds have people running missions for AA and lost exp throughout the week...
    Celephane likes this.
  7. Silvae Apprentice

100% my answer was directed to TLPs, especially after DoN or so when raids start to have gear checks and punishing mechanics where your chill people aren't used to managing multiple things at once.
    Jack likes this.
  8. fransisco Augur

it might just be me, but I think the death penalty has been significantly lessened. I feel like exp loss from death is alot less than it used to be, so that 6% used to matter alot more
  9. Corwyhn Lionheart Guild Leader, Lions of the Heart

Plus there are the 96% res tokens out there. All my non rezzing toons carry some... one of the things I spend my loyalty tokens on when getting near the limit.

Plus you would have to eat a lot of dirt before one session of Overseers wouldn't make it the whole loss go away.
    Jack and Nennius like this.
  10. Strawberry Augur

The time it takes to find someone who can give a 96% rez instead of a 90% rez is generally far lower than the time it would take to claw back 6% of XP.

Finding a 96% rez is also a low-effort and low-risk affair, clawing back XP entails risk (might have changed a bit with Overseer).

So you naturally go looking for a 96% rez. It is the path of least resistance.
    Nennius likes this.
  11. kookoo Augur

those using overseer don't care.
    KarmaKitty and Tatanka like this.
  12. Cadira Augur

Kinda off topic but I just want to say if you're on live and don't take 90's, you're a scumbag.
    alanus, Bigstomp, minimind and 9 others like this.
  13. Knifen Augur

Thats a good way to get your corpse dragged into the middle of the zone and left during a raid.
    minimind, Cadira and Rijacki like this.
  14. Strawberry Augur

There are casual players who level at a rate that is so slow that a 6% loss in XP would be a serious setback.
    Vumad likes this.
  15. Knifen Augur

Youll never convince me of that if they even know what overseer is.

-Granted Im more referring to Live Servers/Raids/Current Level Toons. But if they are the ones you are referring to are that slow playing (as is their right) overseer would still level them faster.
  16. Karhar Dream Crusher

they need to do overseers
    alanus likes this.
  17. Strawberry Augur

Overseer is only available at lvl 85+.

And not everyone enjoys Overseer, it's a mindless clickfest.
  18. CatsPaws No response to your post cause your on ignore

That only works if your level 85.

I personally have a few alts that I keep at level 70 ish in an attempt to get the TLC HF drops.

If they die while they are getting above the TLC that is fine cause then they drop back into the TLC bucket. But if they die and drop too far below the TLC then they need that 96% to get back up. I use rez tokens

It a see saw that's for sure. Maybe someday enough of us will speak out and they will get rid of TLC
  19. Karhar Dream Crusher

I dont know what a tlc hf is, but if you're on a raid, and someone offers you a 90% res, and you decline it to wait for better, then you're wasting time.
  20. Knifen Augur

I dont know of anybody that enoys Overseer, but if your losing xp faster than gaining its worth the time to do it. Thou your reference im just guessing is your referring to an issue with TLP over live servers.
    Corwyhn Lionheart likes this.