4th group member

Discussion in 'The Newbie Zone' started by Survilius, May 13, 2015.

1. Survilius Journeyman

Hey guys. I;m currently boxing a war and rogue, and my friend is boxing an enchanter and cleric. We're having pulling problems, and neither of my chars is especially valuable atm, although the war should be eventually. I'm thinking of swapping out the rogue for some utility. My current options would be wiz, necro, ranger, shaman or bard. Since the war doesn't really require a whole lot of attention, I'll probably be focusing on the other guys more.
    Any advice as to what would eventually prove most beneficial would be appreciated. We're sitting in the low 70s atm.
  2. Crystilla Augur

Who do you currently have pulling? It should be one of your friend's characters (enchanter or cleric). Enchanter is the best of those 4 at pulling, with cleric 2nd, but well ahead of the warrior or rogue.

(As a cleric, I've pulled all 105 levels and enchanters can do it so much easier than I can.)

What zones and what mobs are you trying? What tactics are being used?
  3. Endless Augur

I use to pull with my rogue all the time. One of my other boxes that can cast a "calm" spell would just /assist my rogue and calm his target. Can pull singles all day long that way. Provided those mobs can be calmed. Calm has a very long range. Not sure if things have changed or I've just been lucky, but it use to be a mob agros when calm is resisted. So I use to park the chanter away from the group so if he gets agro, it ends with him. But now even when a mob resist, no agro. So far anway. Sure I could mez with the chanter, but it was simpler, safer and faster to just pull singles.

I pull that way now with my warrior, just a little harder to see everything in the area without being able to sneak.
  4. Rykard Augur

I understand your issues. Boxing and swapping over to other characters while pulling is hard. At 70, you get self stasis which helped on deaths but not really help on pulling. Not only that, I felt the enchanter pulling tools were limited until level 73 where they get Beguiler's Banishment(knockback/root with a fade at end) and Beguiler's Directed Banishment(directional version of BB). Additionally, the AE mesmerization spells were also level limited. I thought it was tough but will get better after the 70s. In the mid to upper 80s, the enchanter pacify and mezz lines gets higher level restrictions allowing for better pulling.

From the 70s to mid 80s, I would pull with my tank(paladin) and crowd control in camp with the enchanter. The enchanter's mezz lines are in the 54 second range allowing for many mobs to be on "hold." This really worked well for me in practicing CC techniques/timing.

If you are tired of trying to pull with the enchanter, you could try a Bard. Being a plate class helps and, they get Fading Memories pretty early on at level 63 which is pretty much a feign death minus the falling down. I beleve that the bard benefits melee classes more than casters which may also entice you; however, they take little bit to get used to at first as they play a bit different than other classes.

My thoughts,
    Rykard

P.S. I play or box four toons: paladin, enchanter, druid, and wizard. I initially started out with a bard vice enchanter but switched due to DPS improvements that the enchanter gives to casters are better than the bard(stacking issues with wizards familiars). I am still working on pulling with the enchanter so, I may not be the best reference for enchanter pulling.

Dandin made a really good thread earlier this year going over pulling techniques. I thought I would link it just as a FYI or learning tool.

https://forums.station.sony.com/eq/index.php?threads/enchanter-basic-pulling-tactics.723/
  5. Survilius Journeyman

Right now my friend has been trying to pull with his enchanter, but frequently gets multiples. We're currently in OGH working on the zone achievs. I believe he is using calm on the surrounding mobs, and then pulling. Maybe we're getting resists on the calm and that's why hes aggroing as Endless mentioned. I know we both have work to do on learning our characters better, so perhaps that part of the problem.
    As far as the rogue goes, will he be as valuable to the group as one of the other classes I mentioned? I'm just not sure if he brings anything especially useful to the group, even the wizard seems like he would do similar damage while adding ports and some utility, even if he didn't help our pulling problem.
  6. Survilius Journeyman

Great info, thank you. His enchanter is only 72 atm, so maybe things will change in another level. I'll also have him maybe focus more on mezzing than worrying about singles, so that should help.
  7. Rykard Augur

I can't really talk about rogues as I have never played them. I have grouped many times and think they have some nice DPS and desirable skills/abilities.

As a boxer, I personally liked the wizard because he is easy to control using macros. I tab/move to his EQ version mouse click/click a macro and move on to the tank, healer, or enchanter. I am 4 boxing but it makes it so easy that I am almost three boxing. It gives me more time to slow multiples and CC. Additionally, the wizard has porting which saves me so much time.

Rykard