4 monitor setup question

Discussion in 'Player Support' started by Tutmir, Aug 22, 2014.

1. Tutmir Journeyman

So I finally got around to hooking up my old 21" monitor on a wall mount above my 3 27" monitors and I was having an issue with getting EQ to actually display after it opened from the launch pad. It would open for a second, then minimize to the system tray. If you mouse over it you can see the server selection screen and it appears to be running, but you can't bring the window up to select servers.

I originally had my monitors set up in the window's display function like I had them IRL:
    ~~~~~~~21" ~~~~
    ~~27"~~27"~~~27"~~
    (sorry for the bad drawing, but you get the idea)

Everquest would not display unless I moved them to a straight line like:
    27"~~27"~~27"~~21"

This makes it a little awkward to use because the 21" monitor is above the main screen but to get the mouse to move to that screen i have to slide all the way to the far right. So my question is: is there a setting somewhere that I need to adjust that will allow me to open EQ on a ~3600 vertical center display? Or am I just wasting my time
  2. Nennius Curmudgeon

And to think I've been struggling with only one monitor for all these years.
    complexication likes this.
  3. Nennius Curmudgeon

That was a bit snarky. Apologies.
  4. Sarkaukar Augur

Are you running EQ in Full screen mode? If so, try switching to to windowed mode then stretch it across the bottom 3 monitors.

I should ask, which monitors are you trying to get EQ to show up on?
  5. Tutmir Journeyman

That's ok, Its a first world problem for sure lol

No full screen mode on any of the accounts, I use GTT for raiding so I've gotten use to playing in windowed mode at all times. I 4 box a bard/warrior/shaman/wizard and I wanted to put the shaman's screen up on the 21" monitor above me since she gets the least attention while I'm fighting. But I would like it to work like it looks, where if I take the mouse cursor past the top of the middle screen it will move to the top screen. At the moment the only way I can get it to open EQ is to have the top screen act like its linked to the far right or far left screen. So if I was on say the left screen I have to move my mouse across 3 screens to get to the wizzy instead of just moving up from the center. It just feels awkward.
  6. Sarkaukar Augur

Does your mouse move from bottom to top when the game is not running?
  7. Sarkaukar Augur

Okay, if you have not resolved this I THINK I understand what is happening. You are attempting to extend your display on two rows of monitors, but your top row is missing two monitors. Try moving the top monitor with the computer settings to one of two missing spots. Even though Windows has not detected those displays, it assumes they may be turned off/etc

Just to add, you can set your taskbar with the following setting..
    • Show taskbar buttons on main taskbar and taskbar where window is open. In this configuration, the main monitor has a special taskbar that contains all the windows across all monitors. All the other monitors have unique taskbars, as with the first option described above. This option offers some of the cleanliness of the taskbar where the window is open model, but also offers a consistent and efficient way to get to any window via the master taskbar. People who think in terms of a primary monitor will probably prefer this option.
    Vs below setting which is the default setup being used. The above would let you know if that session of EQ is on that window.
    • Show taskbar buttons on all taskbars (default). In this configuration, all windows are available on all taskbars. This configuration is designed for maximum mouse efficiency because you can always activate any window from any monitor. Of all the options, this works the best for ad-hoc windows management, as there is no need to keep track of where windows are located. While some users indicated a preference for one of the other options, this was the only option that was efficient for the vast majority of users, which is why this is the default setting.
  8. Sarkaukar Augur

http://sourceforge.net/projects/dualmonitortool/?source=typ_redirect

As I was not able to get Windows 8.1 to move any of my windows except Metro windows, this will allow you to move the active game window (click on the taskbar to make it the primary window (even though it is on the monitor section that is not visible, the Cntrl + F12. This will allow you to move the active program window from one screen to another til you get it to the one you want.....