4 box, possible 5th/6th?

Discussion in 'The Newbie Zone' started by FJ_EQ, Nov 14, 2018.

1. Zamiam Augur

^ This !! couldn't have said it better myself
  2. I_Love_My_Bandwidth Mercslayer

Over the years I have been called "selfish" and "loot " for not helping others get gear with my box group, even though I have given literally hundreds of items away in General Chat. I choose not to bring up loot as a benefit because it may incur feelings of envy and ire among people who choose not to box.
  3. Dreadmore Augur

I never understood this type of argument in any context. You aren't selfish because you got something; you're selfish because you want something. And in this case, the person who didn't get something still wanted something. So that's worse; it's selfish and envious! :confused:
  4. I_Love_My_Bandwidth Mercslayer

It baffles me to no end. It won't stop me from boxing, but it helps my ignore list grow. And that's not bad.
    Pirlo likes this.
  5. Silver-Crow Augur

I still stand by the... why play a MMO?

A lot of the arguments above are easily addressed by having a good guild, and a close group of friends who you play with on a regular basis.

I can see your points, but I would liken this to going out for a beer. Would you prefer to go out with some friends, throw caution to the wind and have a great night, or would you rather go out yourself, talk to no-one have 6 beers and then go home.

The EQ mechanics/graphics are ancient and for me isn't the draw of the game. People are :)
  6. Dreadmore Augur

Ah... I see the nature of your question now and I guess I went overboard or in the wrong direction with my previous reply. My answer to the much simpler question: Why play a MMO?

There's no other game with as much breadth as EQ that I am willing to put up with to learn all over again. The world, the lore, the quests... There is just so much content in EQ, and I am already so invested.

Likewise, I like the Black Keys, but I like the Black Keys because of their music, not because I like garage, blues, and indie rock. A lot of garage, blues, and indie rock is pretty bad. They're just labels and won't determine whether I actually like an artist or not. Heck, there are Black Keys songs that I don't like.

And film? I can't even say I like or hate any specific genre. I hate it when I as the viewer know something that the protagonist doesn't know, and it takes the whole film's length for them to finally learn it. Like I said, I am impatient, and that's really frustrating to me. But there's no genre label for something like that.

So I guess "MMO" means nothing to me. I don't think of it as playing an MMO at all. I think of it as playing EQ, and there is nothing else around that is EQ. Just like there is nothing else around that is the Black Keys, or nothing else around that is... uh, I guess I didn't give a film example... I guess The Office (US) is pretty awesome.

I'd liken it more to going on a road trip or some travel rather than going out for a drink. You still get to experience everything along the route whether you go alone or with friends. Having friends will surely spice it up, but you might get sick of being around the same people for days straight. I know I would, but that's the great thing about EQ. Different draws for different personalities.

There's this crazy post in the Veteran's Lounge from some guy who's been playing EQ for a year. He said he loves the game because there are races that are derived from animals, and because the character models are so numerous and varied. It's the most innocent thing I've ever read here, and it's awesome. Amidst all the complaints about the game here, from service to hardware to game design to bugs, this guy comes along and says he loves it because you can play a cat and fight a giant tree. It's endearing.
    bravoquest42 and Pirlo like this.
  7. Dreadmore Augur

8. I_Love_My_Bandwidth Mercslayer

The people are the best and the worst of the game. Like life. Just because a game is granted the MMO moniker doesn't make a game mutually exclusive to multiplayer. I enjoy both sides of this coin. Grouping with other people, and I also enjoy boxing. My time is split about 50/50 between them. I raid with my guild but I don't count that as grouping.

Why play an MMO if I am going to box? Because I want to.

Now that we've slaked your curiousity, Silver-Crow, why do you care what other people do in the game?
    Pirlo likes this.
  9. Old_Pepper New Member

I run sk,druid, ench, cleric, mage and wizard. This is so fun. I actually pull with the enchanter, I seem to go faster than with FD pulling. Playing all these classes is what keeps bringing me back to EQ.
  10. Dreadmore Augur

Do you mean single pulling?
    'cause if you're running that group... a real SHD and a real CLR... why even bother single pulling!
  11. Daedly Augur

Add the wizard. With two real dps classes, mobs should die quick enough healing shouldnt be much of an issue between the cleric, druid, chanter runes, and SK lifetaps. I have a tendency to forget to heal on a pull myself as with my melee group i am usually more focused on positioning. After a few deaths, i got the hang of it...
  12. Alqui New Member

this is like when someone asks "what is the optimal class for xyz?" and people respond "hey don't worry have fun"

it's just wrong headed.

i like grouping, i like the social aspect. i like soloing. i like figuring out optimal box setups. i just like to do that. it's not rocket surgery. sometimes maybe i like to play solo 37-boxing and socialize in guild/general/ooc at the same time. that's a uniquely mmo experience.

the thing is yall know that. It's not hard to get. Yall just wanna come in and tell other people how to enjoy something as a power trip.

i know this because i like grouping and i have friends that play this like single player. i have never once got the urge to go and tell my friends "hey guys this is a multiplayer game stop soloing" because that's dumb and i would be a in that situation.

yall can do social stuff when you want and solo stuff when you want. imma go to my bar by myself or with friends as i so please. yall please don't bring these dumb ideologies into a thread about multiboxing. multiboxing is probably the only reason this MMO still exists financially anyways, so in many ways you owe your social mmo experience to their contribution.
    Pirlo likes this.
  13. Tucoh Augur

I play to play with others, but I also enjoy boxing.

Another way to ask your question is: why box instead of playing the other amazing single player games out there? And one answer is that there really isn't another game that has the kind of gameplay that multi-boxing does. Even squad-based real-time strategy games miss the mark a bit.

One game that does have squad combat that's coming out soon that I'm looking forward to playing is Kenshi. But it's more of a sandbox game than a combat one.