3rd party tools and 3-boxing

Discussion in 'The Newbie Zone' started by IblisTheMage, Jul 26, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. IblisTheMage Augur

Hi, returning player here

Is it legal to use 3rd party tools to help me 3-box, while I am at the computer?

Are some tools ok while others nogo?

Is there a good guide for legal tool-based 3-box that you can recommend?

Thanks in advance.
  2. kookoo Augur

I don't know about 3rd party tools , but I am playing 4 accounts on same computer and same screen and doing pretty good ( others say I am very good at ), anyway , when I want to be at a toon or switch toons , I only click the little eq button on the taskbar .

I play on windowed mode ( full screen ) and always play on 3rd view so I can see all around me .

I play casters toons , ( mage , shaman , chanter and druid ) ..
  3. Aghinem Augur

The only 3rd party tools you are allowed to use is GINA and I.S.Boxer
  4. CatsPaws No response to your post cause your on ignore

Same here, just alt tab between them. I have ranger, chanter, and whichever 2 others I choose from the stable. Don't use any programs, not even gina or I S Boxer cause those look harder to learn than just clicking the icon on taskbar. :D
  5. eqmule New Member

Troll bait but I'll bite before this thread ends like the rest of its kind, this has been answered multiple times if you search for "third" or "unattended"
    Here is a good one on this topic:
    https://forums.daybreakgames.com/eq/index.php?posts/3245775/
    IblisTheMage likes this.
  6. Reht The Dude abides...

To remove any potential confusion, GINA is not boxing software and shouldn't be mistaken as such. It's a 3rd party parsing program like gamparse, gamtexttriggers, yalp, xalp, etc., which are also legal.
    IblisTheMage likes this.
  7. Aghinem Augur

No its not troll bait. I have not once ever given advice that would jeopardize someone's account. I.SBoxer multiple times has been considered an allowable 3rd party program for boxing; as long as you don't do anything with it such as AFK farming. What is not allowed is m.a.c.r.oquest.
    IblisTheMage and Reht like this.
  8. eqmule New Member

Since you can't "afk farm" or do anything at all afk with is boxer (it has no such capabilities or a macro engine) I'm 100% sure that the post I linked to was not referring to it but instead referring to third party tools which DO have that capability. I provided a link to an official statement, and until you do, you might as well have said Microsoft office is not allowed cause that's just as valid an argument... I really wish we could stick to what's known facts when arguing a topic like this on this forum instead of pushing personal agendas, you may not like it but links to official posts or it didn't happen...
    Raptorjesus5 and Ethereal like this.
  9. Raptorjesus5 Augur

The main key is automation is not allowed. As always it's better to be safe than sorry. Depending on how intense you play the game, I think most people agree that additional software is not really needed for 2 or 3 accounts in most cases.

The main thing I S Boxer allows you to do is allow you to complete actions on different characters without tabbing over. So 1 click in game still equals 1 action in game. (Never actually used it but that's my understanding of it.)
  10. Tvarian Augur

One thing I read on IS Boxer (correct me if I'm wrong) is that it allows one click to do something in all instances at the same time. So, for example, is my "1" key is set up on a 3-box, pressing it would activate whatever is set at that key for each toon at the same time, so a healer could cast, warrior could auto attack, and ranger could start firing arrows all at the same time.

I've only ever briefly true boxed, but I was looking to start boxing 2 toons, and was told IS Boxer was okay to use, but then I read where someone got banned for using it. I did download it, but seems it costs around $80 to use, so I never did anything with it.

I'll stick to windows mode and alt-tabbing.
  11. Numiko Augur

I think it's more unattended gameplay they frown on, if it was just "automation" why did they add things like advanced loot, /autofire, /melody and the Make all and auto inventory button to TS? .. not to mention things like /follow and the giving us the ability to make small in game macro's.

As for the original question, no third party program is "needed", I four box on live on one PC and just use alt+tab or the windows task bar to switch and I have beaten just about all group content in live EQ playing this way.
    Xianzu_Monk_Tunare and eqmule like this.
  12. Corwyhn Lionheart Guild Leader, Lions of the Heart

As a boxer I can say GINA is very very useful for boxing though. I never knew it did parsing though. I use it for audio triggers so I know when nuke or heal socials end.
  13. Mjod Journeyman

Thanks for the direct question Iblis. Thanks for all the direct responses.

All the “he who shall not be named” nonsense EQ-style has gotten a bit annoying...

That being said, here’s a related, somewhat less direct question. This (old) thread:

http://everquest.allakhazam.com/forum.html?forum=1&mid=108022180127562806

is referencing the [Unmentioned Third Party Software] Roshen referred to?
  14. Aghinem Augur

That has to do with a forum filter. No one is purposely typing out [Unmentioned Third Party Software] text (if this is what you are referring to). When the forums detect IS.Boxer, Macro.Quest, Macro.Quest.2 or anything else that is part of their filter system, it automatically returns the [Unmentioned Third Party Software] text.

Regarding IS.Boxer, I have been told by Roshen and RadarX that it is allowed and the reason it comes up filtered is answered below:

Until Roshen or RadarX comes out and says, "No, we do not allow IS.Boxer any longer" - I would not worry about using it. As stated above, Macro.Quest and Macro.Quest2 is certainly not allowed and will lead to a ban. No questions asked.
    Draego likes this.
  15. AlmarsGuides Augur

That is wildly incorrect it says in their own FAQ it is allowed:

[IMG]

https://www.everquest.com/news/true-box-progression-server-faq-phinigel

We get it, you hate the program - but to say it will get you banned is false and it says it in their own FAQ that the only thing not allowed is Unattended Gameplay.

But neither of them have come out and said "No, we do not allow Macro.Quest currently" so why are you worried about using it? It says the opposite in the FAQ from what my eyes see.
  16. Raptorjesus5 Augur

Seems pretty clear to me that it's not allowed in that picture. Using any method (a 3rd party program is a method) that lets you take actions while not at the keyboard is not allowed.
    Draego likes this.
  17. Draego Augur

Can you not read, or are you intentionally overlooking the clear unadulterated statement:
    "Using 3rd party software"................

It cannot get any clearer than that.......Macro.Quest, Macro.Quest2, zip.zip or any other program that allows one to totally automate and resemble live player activity, falls within the generalized description of "3rd party software" and WILL get you banned.

As a GL that does not tolerate and refuses to allow such things in my guild, I have been the one to report my own guild players when they have been caught in violation of using such 3rd party software..... each time they have been banned.

Anyone who NEEDS TO USE [Unmentioned 3rd Party Software] in order to cheat to play EverQuest is kinda pathetic in my book, and doesn't deserve to play.

To address this Numiko, I seriously believe that there have been numerous arguments by players who have been banned for using [Unmentioned 3rd Party Software], explaining the allure of why they started using it in the first place. The additions of "Make All" and the "ADV Loot" features could be said to be the result of such arguments and Dev's. paying attention to players comments and responses.

As for /autofire, /melody, and /follow, and the ability to make small macro's, these have been very long standing EQ abilities, and it could be said that most fail to know or make use of them simply because, not everyone reads or tries to learn something for themselves.

To clarify my point think about how many times you see people ask how to get to certain zones..... when there is the map and zone feature to do the work for them. Or think about how many times people will not bother to go to known EQ game support sites like Allakhazams in order to look up quest information..... they expect people to just give them all the answers in game, that's my point.
  18. Aghinem Augur

I'm speaking in generalities for most servers that IS.boxer is allowed, you are referencing a special TLP true-box ruleset server FAQ which does not allow that type of software. Way different than what the general subject matter is of this thread. If this were the TLP forums, I would agree with your statement - but its not, so I'm not really understanding what point you are trying to make.

The reason IS.Boxer has been allowed is because the program itself does not attempt to make changes on the client or server side that would produce anomalies such as player porting, invincibility, and other strange effects triggered by the Macro.Quest series. All IS.Boxer does is allow a player to control his/her boxed toons without having to use the tab function. Thats really the gist of it. A matter of adding some convenience to people who box. By all technicalities, GINA is a 3rd party program that sends audio messages and text to your screen when it detects a specific string of text to create a realm of convenience for people who raid a lot. Is that considered unintended gameplay to rely on a 3rd party program because the built-in audio trigger system is archaic in design?

I'm not a boxer, but know a lot of people who do box who rely on that program and they don't do anything out of the ordinary. As stated earlier, the only time someone would get into trouble is if they were doing actual unintended gameplay such as AFK camping - and at that point, that is a AFK camping issue - not a IS.Boxer issue.
  19. eqmule New Member

1. I don't expect much from people who post on this forum but basic reading skills should be a requirement... the post I linked to says unattended not unintended.

2. Keeping the thread on track, how about only responding if you have some actual knowledge of boxing and the alternatives that exist for it. "I'm not a boxer" doesn't inspire much confidence in your abilities to properly assess and constructively respond at all to a thread like this.

3. It's probably pointless to point this out but no one here questions if is boxer is "legal" or not, we know it is (except on phinigel as the picture above clearly shows) the question is if it's "legal" to use other third party tools to help you box if you are using them while ATTENDING, and I as well as other posters that has tried to point this fact out earlier in this thread using links as well as pictures, believe it IS "legal" to use other third party tools if you are ATTENDING (except on phinigel in which case it is "illegal" even when ATTENDING)

4. No one here is advocating the use of any third party tools that "triggers anomalies" like invincibility or porting you places "unintentionally" (if such tools even exist)

5. Please don't reply again if you don't box or at least posess a minimum of knowledge when it comes to the different boxing options that exist, you clearly have no clue about which third party tools we are discussing and what their features are.
    Blart likes this.
  20. Numiko Augur

I know this is getting into Rules Lawyers area.. but I think one could also argue that the "using third party software" in the quoted page only refers to a True Box server.

There is no mention of it under the section below about "any server" .. all it talks about us unattended game play, running virtual machines and circumventing /pickzone timers.
    Aghinem and eqmule like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.