2 Servers To Make Everyone Happy?

Discussion in 'Time Locked Progression Servers' started by ibc93, Dec 3, 2023.

1. ibc93 Elder

What if these were the 2 Servers dropped next year? 1 experimental & 1 traditional.

A) Experimental (mischief+Oakwynd): Random loot, free trade, encounter locking, relaxed truebox at later expansion, evolving bonuses each expansion, DZ lockouts tied to character not account wide, and bonus xp for each alt or persona at max level. The usual quick expansion unlock speed now.

B) Traditional (Rerolling agnarr clone): Slower xp rate, slower expansion unlocks, ends at planes of power/ldon then merges with Agnarr & starts all over at classic ad infinitum. (controversial feature?) Perhaps allow 2 boxing on 1 computer instead of strict truebox or add mercenaries early?
  2. Vanesae Journeyman

No truebox on one server. Rizlona + mischief + Oakwynd clone.
    Kutsuu, ForumBoss and code-zero like this.
  3. uberkingkong Augur

No maps - This kills roleplaying
    No general chat - This kills roleplaying
    No AOC - This makes participation trophy for everyone, everyone gets 1st place trophy
    No boxing - This makes server anti social
    No extra zone copies/ overflow zones - This is what PL'ers use
    No corpse summoner NPCs - makes death more impactful
    Xp rate is 500% slower - this makes people enjoy the content longer

Everquest is really Everstopleveling?
    One of the most frequent questions, leveling leveling leveling.

Other MMORPGs, how do I do, how do I do. How do i do this enjoyable part of the game.
    Not leveling.
    EQ its leveling leveling leveling.

So lets embrace EQs thing,
    nonstop leveling.
    500% xp slower.
    TLP server ends when it reaches UF. No point after UF to keep a TLP going.

Death thats 90% xp loss. True OG EQ.

Has earthquakes in it like P99.
    Fableds are up throughout entirety, of course there is chance to spawn the fableds.
    GM events may occur.
    Has weather. The new thing is weather.
    Weather has impact on the game.

TLP that is active, lots of things going on, you gotta be playing on it to know it.
    Its not no schedule thing like nowdays, pop an AOC and do the scheduled raids.
    No this server its alive you contest things, many many opportunities to do so just pay attention.

Not no typical static boring TLP.
    Static boring expansions we've been having, mobs barely even move.
    10 steps forward, look around for a minute then turn 10 steps back, thats as much movement as it gets in the current expansions. BORING.
  4. pipo Lorekeeper

We can dream but it seems Daybreak wants all the server to be truebox.
    ForumBoss likes this.
  5. coltongrundy Augur

I'm glad you're not in charge, because I would not play on either one of those servers.
  6. Roxas MM Augur

you can start 200 servers and still not everyone will be happy.
    Kutsuu and Dre. like this.
  7. Tuco Augur

As much as I like AB testing where one server is experimental and the other is more vanilla, I think given the size of the player population and number of TLP servers over the years, having a single server that is experimental is better.

2024 is definitely a good year to try to incorporate what worked on Mischief, but I'd hope they try something new in addition. I also am curious to what the EQ population thinks about FTE now that they've enjoyed it for a while on Oakwynd. Personally I think it's the wrong solution to a big problem of easy content with high resource contention and would prefer a solution that made the content harder. ex: https://forums.daybreakgames.com/eq...ntion-youd-like-to-see-tried-in-a-tlp.290004/

My favorite idea to make content harder is to dramatically decrease respawn times and to delay level/AA increases after an expansion's content comes out. Such that, for example, the first few weeks of Kunark you'd be level 50.
    code-zero likes this.
  8. Trevalon Augur

Server 1 is literally a dream server for me.

Mischief has literally been the best server ever released by a mile. Its a testament that it is still the most populated TLP so late in its life. The Double loot and Free trade makes catching up much easier, much faster, and people can start at anytime and be caught up fast. Let's not even talk about how alt friendly it makes the game as well. The random loot is a little more controversial but for everyone in our guild it has been a fun little mechanic that puts a little randomness into an otherwise known quantity. We were just talking about it in our raid last night about how awesome the server has been overall.

Oakwynd's progression bonuses are awesome as well. I wish some came a little earlier (Like double AA should be in TSS+ IMO), but overall Oakwynd will be the best server to go into late game by a mile (even eclipsing Mischief).

So mixing the two would be a really fantastic server that I have 0 doubt will be the top server for many years.
  9. coltongrundy Augur

Never do encounter locking again.
    AzzlannOG likes this.
  10. Vanesae Journeyman

Accurate. Everyone would be very upset to have the playerbase spread across 200 servers.
  11. Vanesae Journeyman

Best for you maybe. Most popular, no way.
  12. Trevalon Augur

I meant that in the long run (TSS+), it will be a very good server to catchup if you wanted to start fresh with later expansions or return to the game. The stacking bonuses will make it very easy to do everything from gearing, to exping, to aaing - that's all I was saying. Not whether someone would or would not want to play there.
  13. jeskola pheerie

in theory sure. but who wants to catch up on a ghost town? also hi trev, i still remember you from Sleeper :)
  14. Irisa New Member

That ship has sailed and FTE has been well received.

Players like FTE, particularly players tired of a couple classes stealing any mob they want any time they want.
  15. Doranur_Aleguzzler Filthy Casual™

We can thank Magefire for that. I used to be all for true box, my situation has changed though, and the ability to run at least a second, if not a third account on the same machine would be preferable.

@OP the only thing that couldn't happen with your slow xp server idea, is the mercenaries. They don't become available until Seeds of Destruction, and Agnarr and any TLP that feeds into it, would never get there.
  16. Yinla Ye Ol' Dragon

This is your view.

Oakwynd is already down to being a medium population server while mischief is still high. There are a lot who don't like FTE and refuse to play on a server with it.
    Slik, Cassiera and Critt like this.
  17. Irisa New Member

It is not a singular viewpoint....it is clearly widely accepted. Even the post on the forums are starting to change. except for a few who were so convinced Oakwynd would never get off the ground, but it did and still has high population,

The vast majority of players on Oakwynd really like the concept of FTE.

We know you want to be able to dictate circumstances on future servers....and FTE kills that for you....GET OVER IT...
    Defenestrated Vase likes this.
  18. Vanesae Journeyman

If few people would play there, no point to the server.
  19. Doranur_Aleguzzler Filthy Casual™

The only thing I've seen that has caused Oakwynd population to dip in a big way was the "0.22% dupeflation" event. We lost several guildies just from that, out of disgust on how it was handled. The holiday slump and the latest WoW thing didn't help, but those are just temporary.
  20. Tranced Lorekeeper

Oakwynd population dip has nothing to do with FTE and everything to do with
    • Economy in shambles from rampant duping
    • Nonchalant response to said event
    • Broken veteran EXP that they essentially tricked us into leveling alts for
    • Non existant response to said event.