115 enc review of the TOV expansion

Discussion in 'Casters' started by Fian, Dec 23, 2019.

1. Fian Augur

I am amazed at how many of our abilities are level capped. Everyone knows that your mez and charm spells increase their target level by 5, so instead of mezzing up to 113, you now mez to 118. The mob con in the early zones, though, aren't that high, so it wouldn't surprise me if a 110 enc could mez a fair bit. In fact, at 115, I have yet to find a yellow con zone. My guess is that level 7 in Tower of Frozen Shadows will count, as level 6 is white cons. However, it isn't just mez and charm that is level capped. Our tash spell bonus is also level capped. So casting a level 111 nuke on a mob tashed with our 108 spell will not get a damage bonus. All of these level restrictions put a premium on leveling the enchanter quickly.

Most of the zones are undead, but there are segments that are live. So bard double invis is highly prized. Enc can double invis their group, but are stuck with just ivu. Still, a creative enc can usually get by with just ivu.

It is concerning about the number of unmezzable mobs in the expansion. Kael Drakkel is awful. As far as I can tell, not a single mob in the zone can be charmed or mezzed. Even the wolves are immune. I get the giants being unmezzable, but couldn't they have made the wolves mezzable? Root does seem to work some, so I could try to punt/root as a form of cc, but I just can't bring myself to do it. Basically, I hate the zone, and would never set foot, except all my friends are asking for help with the merc and partisan tasks, merc being especially difficult in the zone.

Tower of Frozen Shadows is the zone where enc shine. High density of mobs, with almost every mob mezzable (I think I have found only one non-boss that wasn't). It seems to have the highest con of mobs in the highest levels of the tower, making it a prized place to hunt with an enc.

I am not a fan of the experience approach they implemented in the expansion, but that is not something that is enchanter specific.
    RPoo likes this.
  2. Genusii Journeyman

My take from this post.

Enchanters get to use their unique abilities in one zone: ToFS. This is not "shining". This is playing an enchanter. Something you are not required to do at all in all other content.

All the others, you are a buff-bot- for the rest of the caster group; useless in a melee group.

But still, have fun in ToFS.
  3. Fian Augur

Some more notes:
    tentacle terrors in velk's lab are unmezzable

The list of AA/spells that stop working until you get the next rank is even longer than I expected:
    pacify upgrade
    Chromatic Haze only affects 110 and less spells
    gift of mana
    bite of tashani
    slowing helix
    tashan's lingering cry (which seems to be capped at 110, a bug)
    Glyphs
    All spell focus AA don't work on next level spells until you buy a rank

The above list is longer than it really should be.
    Wulfhere likes this.
  4. Tucoh Augur

tbh I didn't upgrade a single spell or item until I hit 115 on any of my characters. The increase just isn't worth the effort to manage it. I'd pay more attention if I was solo/molo grinding mobs and couldn't just blitz the progression that brings you from level 110.999 to level 114.5.
  5. Petalonyx Augur

Same. Not worth the effort to change anything prior to 115. Any time i tried, i felt punished, either with lower performance, or excessive overhead, or the worst - surprise, T2 gear provides 0 stats until 115!