I know one way EverQuest can regain its status as a Franchise

Discussion in 'The Veterans' Lounge' started by Koveras, Apr 11, 2024.

1. Nennius Curmudgeon

There has to be some low rent YouTube dweeb that could do it on their iphone. It would be good for laughs that way. Get someone without much talent and a desire to live in an AutoTune world to record a song for it and you might have a hit.
  2. Brontus EQ Player Activist

The very best way for EverQuest to get on the map is to make a new chart-topping EQ MMORPG. Once that happens, then a film would be an appropriate way to expand the potential of the franchise.
  3. OldTimeEQ1 Augur

Forget getting the name wrong. Stop watching movies at 3 AM! :p
    Rijacki likes this.
  4. OldTimeEQ1 Augur

You sure you want magazine Ad like this one from 2001/2002 or so? :p Guildmate posted this a bit ago in our Discord !

Check out the tag line "You never know who's playing"! Someone at some ad agency actually got paid for this :)

[IMG]
    Rijacki and Nennius like this.
  5. Flatchy Court Jester

I thought "WIllow" was the pinnacle of fantasy movies....
  6. Razorfall Augur

When I think of Up All Night I think of Class of Nuke 'Em High and that amazing theme song

7. jeskola pheerie

When typing about advertising, ad vs add should be easy. I'm glad you and your colleagues were able to overcome your issues with not being to spell a 2-letter word tho. Grats!
  8. JetZeppelin2h Augur

I guess I didn't realize being a dev means you can't double hit a character on the keyboard and you know add and ad are both words so spell check doesn't tell you it is wrong. I normally type a post then go back and fix all the red underline misspelled words.

So technically it wasn't miss spell but more of a keyboard error which when you are typing thousands of lines a day on more than one keyboard it can lead to hitting a key more than once by mistake. This is an issue for devs or your average person so I don't know what your issue is with a dev miss typing something is. And there is a good chance I will miss spell other words because spell check doesn't always tell you the word you spelled correctly isn't the word you were trying to type.

Lets not even get into all the issues with english, not that any language is perfect but english is pretty bad but it is funny how common it is used but when you work with alot of people who english isn't their primary language you see how bad english really is and how hard it can be for people coming from other languages.
    Brontus likes this.
  9. Rijacki Just a rare RPer on FV and Oakwynd

I do software testing on routers for a living. The misspelling of variables and text in UIs is bread and butter for us to find. The bad thing is that some misspellings become monolith or legacy code that no one is allowed to correct for whatever stupid reason (sometimes even in customer facing UI text). If someone accidentally spells it correctly in the code (vs a UI text display), it can really foul things up and be very difficult to find.

Long long ago when I was in college and working in the computer lab as an equipment babysitter, the programming students would come to me all the time with their code in hand tearful about it not compiling and not being able to figure out why. I would use proofreading skills to scan through to find the elusive syntax or inconsistent spelling mistakes, all super easy to miss when you're the one who wrote the code.

Always have someone else proofread what you wrote, code or anything else, 'cause you will see what you meant to write and not what you actually wrote.
    Corwyhn Lionheart and Nennius like this.
  10. Andarriel Everquest player since 2000

When was the last time you heard someone say that D&D movie was great!
    Corwyhn Lionheart and Rijacki like this.
  11. KarmaKitty Augur

Willow! :eek:
    Can we fast track that dislike button please.
    Flatchy and Andarriel like this.
  12. KarmaKitty Augur

I can't say that last D&D movie was great, but I have seen worse.
    Including the previous D&D movies :(
    Tyranthraxus and Rijacki like this.
  13. Bilderov Augur

That advert nowadays would have the tagline... "He's not even allowed to grind!"
    Flatchy, Bobokin and OldTimeEQ1 like this.
  14. Bilderov Augur

As someone who is English, I prefer it to have a capital. I'm assuming if I posted u.S.A I'd get similar responses.

I would never say you're a developer on these forums, as most of us are Managing Directors of blue-chip companies, Chief Executives of our own multi-national businesses, billionaires, rock stars, Navy SEALs, or in my case, most of the above....I opted for the SAS instead :)
  15. OldTimeEQ1 Augur

All that and you left out the key skill we all have: top of the field when it comes to programming, or anything tech related.

We make Bill Gates and Elon Musk look like that homeless guy who can't spell his banner right "will wrk fur fuud!"
  16. Andarriel Everquest player since 2000

Its definately not good looking girls lol
    Bobokin likes this.
  17. Brontus EQ Player Activist

A dislike button would not be a good idea in my opinion. It would most certainly increase the toxicity of the forums because it takes absolutely no effort to dislike a post and there is no guarantee that a person disliking a post has even read the full post they are disliking. If you don't like a post right now, you have to formulate some kind of reasoning and post it and that takes effort.

Disliking posts is not always done for the right reasons. There are people on these forums that hold grudges against other people. So if someone hold a grudge against you for whatever reason, it would be far too easy for them to give your post a dislike out of spite and not because your post lacked merit.

The forums are very factionalized and tribal right now. I've noticed that guild members tend to stick together too and like each other's posts. New ideas and outside the box thinking from new players or old returning players is discouraged on these forums because of a powerful hegemonic status quo on the forums.

Another thing to consider is that having a dislike button is an intrinsic expression of negativity like seeing a glass half empty instead of half full. Having the a dislike feature would encourage groupthink, discourage viewpoint diversity and increase polarization. Within a few months, the forums would be transformed into an ideological echochamber.

For the very same reasons I don't think the "like" feature is good thing either.

We do have a secret dislike button right now. Here's how it works: someone posts something. Another person replies and disagrees with that post, then people who also disagree come out of the woodwork to like the post that disagreed with the post. This happens all the time on these forums and we all know it.

Both liking and disliking posts can be abused because people can log on their other accounts and like their own posts and dislike posts they don't like.

The best way to like or dislike a post is to reply to it and state your case in a polite, considerate, and constructive manner. While a dislike button seems like a cool idea, I believe the unintended consequences would be disastrous for the community. Be careful of what you wish for.
    Iven and KarmaKitty like this.
  18. OldTimeEQ1 Augur

Very true. I don't think Verant told the Ad Agency that we EQ players are mostly models and stunningly good looking people...:p
  19. Bobokin Augur

No Way Out was a great thriller with Kevin Costner, Gene Hackman, and Sean Young.

If Daybreak did it, we'd get the crappy 2022 film with the same name and rotten tomatoes, or a remake with the Sean Young part being played by some guy in his parents basement. Worse yet, like her part in Ace Ventura Pet Detective with the reused tag line, "You never know who's playing."

Be careful what you wish for.
  20. Vumad Cape Wearer

Everyone always talks about EQ graphics as if MineCraft is not one of the largest franchises in the world. Graphics sell games. Content makes game successful.

My kids are begging to play EQ. They don't care about the graphics.

EQ is already free. EQ should launch educational servers with modified gameplay for age appropriate content. Keep it safe by regulating access code through the schools. Split typed chat into a separate log easily monitored by parents and school administrators. How cool it would have been if my typing class was playing EverQuest instead of "copy this nonsense into word".

Maybe it will fail, but maybe high schoolers will sign up when they head out to college. Maybe some of the parents will sign up. And maybe they will make absolutely no money beyond a tax write off but some kid will learn to read and type when otherwise they would not have.

Join EverQuest and help support educational servers that teach children to read and type. Your child can learn to type too. Click here to learn more!
    OldTimeEQ1 and Angeliana like this.