One Hobby Dev + EQ + Unreal Engine 5.2 =

Discussion in 'The Veterans' Lounge' started by I_Love_My_Bandwidth, Apr 8, 2024.

1. Iven the Lunatic

This guy is awesome and should be hired as a freelancer dev.
  2. Strawberry Augur

He did a fantastic job.

My only critique would be the wide FOV that causes the view to be somewhat distorted, but that is just preference, I'm sure he's able to alter this.

Anyway, great job.
  3. KushallaFV Playing EverQuest

I don't like it. The art style of EQ defines it, and that just doesn't look right. It's a blend of PS1 with modern day and it just doesn't have any charm to it.
  4. I_Love_My_Bandwidth Mercslayer

Keep hope alive.
  5. Waring_McMarrin Augur

You really expect Daybreak to give up 5%+ of its revenue on top of the costs needed to convert to the Unreal graphics engine? Maybe if Everquest was a much newer game it might be considered but I don't see how they would consider throwing away that much money on a game this old.

Remember it isn't free to use the graphics engine in a commercial game
    Rijacki likes this.
  6. JetZeppelin2h Augur

Most big games these days have built in player creation sets that go with them. Some of them are all private made and others now are part of the game itself. This has been going on for I don't know how long, but as long as games have been made. I used to love making custom levels for dark forces 2 and doing some crazy RPG style games with age of empires 2, and even going back to early red alert and dos games like tyrian (one of the best 2d flying games ever).

EQ wasn't setup for it but at some point the game is no longer going to support the cost to keep it up and it will go to private servers at that point. The question is do they think it would be worth it to build in some player made custom stuff in hopes that it keeps more people paying to play if they are required to be paying to access the custom mission etc stuff.
  7. minimind The Village Idiot

Without making any implications about what Daybreak can or should do, I'll simply say, "Gosh that's pretty! I wouldn't mind playing EQ in that environment!"
  8. I_Love_My_Bandwidth Mercslayer

Gotta keep moving forward.
    Iven likes this.
  9. I_Love_My_Bandwidth Mercslayer

Nice. Same here.
    minimind likes this.
  10. Vumad Cape Wearer

I've been wishing for an EQ remastered TLP for a long time.
    I_Love_My_Bandwidth likes this.
  11. DeadRagarr Augur

Nuke every cosmetic <Mounts/illusions/hero's forge/Dual Models/etc> from the game -> Start over -> Then upgrade -> Probably the easiest way.
  12. Waring_McMarrin Augur

No matter how many times you say that how do you think they are going to justify a 5%+ hit to their revenue? Given that revenue is calculated before costs are subtracted that makes it a very expensive move to use Unreal engine in a game this old.
  13. Waring_McMarrin Augur

And you are talking about games that are much newer then Everquest is. Why do you think they would be willing to give another company 5%+ of the revenue from Everquest for better looking graphics at this point?
  14. Rijacki Just a rare RPer on FV and Oakwynd

Single player and/or small group co-ops are vastly different than an MMOG. A zone in the former has a significantly different kind of support system on the server side than the later. Name persistent world massively multiplayer games that have custom levels made by players.
  15. I_Love_My_Bandwidth Mercslayer

The possible is where the dream starts. Not where it ends. :) May Tunare bless you and your journey.
  16. Waring_McMarrin Augur

You keep claiming that it is possible yet you fail to explain why you think they would be willing to give up 5% of their revenue for this switch in addition to the costs involved in the switch. Sure it is nice to dream that we have a nice shiny new graphics engine but it is unlikely to ever happen.
    Nennius likes this.
  17. Andarriel Everquest player since 2000

Reminds me of spock talking about logic and wisom in star trek 6. My favorite star trek movie behind only wrath of khan.

I_Love_My_Bandwidth likes this.
  18. Iven the Lunatic

Exactly. Without destroying the nostalgia of existing zones. Selling franchise titles (permission contracts) could be a good concept for the future. New EQ projects could be made while DBG could boost its revenue. Even TLP projects could be made which are based on the Unreal 5 engine.
  19. Iven the Lunatic

Waring does not have any dreams beside nightmares. All he is about is blocking everything that would change his world.
    His deity is CT.
  20. Iven the Lunatic

Fascinating.