Give Teek Selo Exp

Discussion in 'Time Locked Progression Servers' started by Protocol, Apr 5, 2024.

1. Protocol Dragon Defender

Consider giving Teek the slightly boosted Selo exp rate. This is lore friendly given that the server is named after the Hot Zone NPC and it falls in line with FV which has an exp bonus on live.
  2. Foaming I Drank Bleach IRL Once

Agreed!
    AzzlannOG and Vlahkmaak like this.
  3. Demetri Augur

This kind of screws all the non-raider types though - I'd suggest IF such was done that Tormax be a full Mischief clone instead or similar, so you can have the raider and non-raider versions.

Remember, for those that do not raid, XPing fundamentally is their content max - so when you reduce XP rate drastically, you reduce their total time before they're spinning their wheels if they don't alt/persona.
  4. Ograk New Member

Once AA's come in, many people start to fall behind, and main swaps get rougher and rougher as time goes on. On Mischief, exp is the most common reason I see people quitting, especially as we get into the year-long (in era) expansions that we get 12 weeks to do.
    WeCameWeConquered and Klucifer like this.
  5. Darkrend New Member

This is an interesting take. Somehow, better experience rates are worse for people with less time to keep up with the server. I assume this is a Kunark/Velious mindset? What happens when we introduce AAs to the mix and these non-Raider types have to grind AA’s. Is it still screwing them over?
    AzzlannOG and fransisco like this.
  6. Demetri Augur

You think non-raiders have less time? Starting off with a very false presumption there. Most of the non-raiders I know have truckloads more time than the raiders - it's typically the raiders that are the ones that try to minimize their playtime down to raids + a few hours...

Most of my non-raiding friends would cap out on AA before I did, lol.
  7. MichaelPants Journeyman

Your take is absolutely wild. I've never heard of someone complaining about bonus EXP events. They only complain when they haven't started on time, or when they end. There is a ton of non-raid content to consume, and an exp boost wouldn't hurt. Max level will never stop me from grinding more levels. I've got alts to start, personas.. lots to do.
    WeCameWeConquered likes this.
  8. CdeezNotes Augur

How about changing names and making Teek bonus exp with evolving ruleset? If you want to use lore friendly as a reason, it makes more sense having both random loot servers be velious based.

Then add pvp to tormax with random loot. All the chaos.
  9. Darkrend New Member

Thank you for this follow-up. I am now even more convinced this hot take is on fire. No, other people should not be limited for this hypothetical large population of extremely high play time non-raiding players who also does not take part in playing more than one character to grind XP on. I’m not advocating for any rule that will hinder them, but this obstacle you’ve created is Santa Claus-level imaginary.
  10. Klucifer Master

Then how does it kinda screw non-raiding types? I feel like it would be an amazing addition! Just because something benefits one group of people doesn't mean it automatically takes away from another group of people... let's not gaslight anyone.

The teaser interview Jchan did with Fading mentioned different rule sets of the most popular servers, and from what I see, their data people didn't take into account pandemic lock down giving people more free time thus participation in Aradune was up, so they kinda screwed that one up. Let's not miss the mark with both servers!

What was super awesome about another popular server? The accelerated xp of Selo. As it stands now, Teek won't make it to live until what 2030? There needs to be something to keep the player base invested and playing. The big thing would be the accelerated exp. Why would you name a server Teek if you didn't intend for it to be a higher exp rate? Seems kind of bait and switch, don't you think?
    Crymea likes this.
  11. Arclyte Augur

since when has the name of a server ever meant anything?
  12. Ravanta Suffer Augur

Are you serious? The very same server it is emulating is just one example.
  13. Demetri Augur

I didn't say they were a majority or anything like that, I - as a raider, only know a handful - but they actually do exist, and a majority of the handful I know are active EQ Live forumers - so I'd imagine they'll pop their head in IF it's still accurate for their impression of things soon enough.

Regardless, the key fundament I said wasn't to nuke the idea of extra XP on Selo (I personally like the idea of faster XP, as I intend to raid and make a bazillion personas) - the idea was to make Tormax be the "difficult XP" version for the people that prefer that so that both servers have some degree of actual appeal and potential viability.

Heck even with this idea being a callback to Selo - remember that Selo was partnered with Mangler at launch, which had intentionally stunted XP rates (old LJ/RF rates, rather than the bonus that Phin+ have had) - and was (and remains) surprisingly popular
  14. Appren Gnomercy

Selo xp sure, but selo unlocks and raid schedule? NO thanks :)
  15. Imdead Augur

Definitely agree with Bonus xp!
  16. kain200 Augur

When we heard the name was "teek" I assumed this was a no brainer to have some sort of exp bonus function to some degree. Or something new and cool like a rotating set of new hotzones just for the old classic zones. I would have loved the idea of trying out some underutilized old school zones if they were suddenly made worthwhile.

I knew the latter was unlikely due to dev time involved but for there to just be...nothing at all? It seems like as big of a swing and miss as picking aradune as the second most popular ruleset without understanding why it had those numbers. Also it isn't even really aradune's ruleset. Its a phinny/yelinak clone.
    Tharvog likes this.
  17. coltongrundy Augur

Yes, please. At the very least I'd like to see GoD, DoD, or TSS exp rates at launch. For me it doesn't necessarily have to be an exp multiplier that carries through the whole life of the server since 70+ exp is pretty fast anyway but classic through ldon exp rates are a little painful, especially having an extra 10 levels to get on top of the normal tlp launch
  18. KobalWR Lorekeeper

We already have massive loots bonus on Teek. There will likely be a double XP bonus soon after launch. Do we really need to make everything faster and/or easier?
    Let's not make things more trivial than they already are. At some point, if everything is given, why even play the game?
    Ragnoruk and Ogamuk like this.
  19. coltongrundy Augur

The solution to easy game is not bigger time sink
  20. KobalWR Lorekeeper

That's not what I said. Faster XP doesnt make the game easier, I agree. More loots does, tho, and I was talking about both loots and XP. Easy AND fast trivialize games in my opinion.

I may not be with the majority here, but I do enjoy the leveling part of the game. If it is faster, I know I'll lose interest more quickly.

That being said, I like the idea to make XP faster later in the server's life to help people willing to catch up with AAs.
    Ogamuk likes this.