Info Needed Universal Chat service issue

Discussion in 'Bug Reports' started by KakleTT, Jan 6, 2024.

1. Sapranno New Member

can we fix this already! every day cant stay in a channel for more than 10 minutes.
  2. Herf Augur

Even when it's 'working' I'm seeing multi-second lag sometimes. Makes CH chains on raids somewhat interesting.
    Ftalten, BoldarBlood and newc322 like this.
  3. Warpeace Augur

General chat can never decide what its maxed allowed really is before denying access.
    Svann2 likes this.
  4. Cairbrae Developer

Please list the server that you're playing on when universal chat is not working for you. Thanks.
  5. Celephane Augur

Bristlebane, had this issue for months now
    Nennius and Jack like this.
  6. Jack Elder

Bristlebane, /join general. Shows joining general and then immediately not in general anymore and says general chat not found. This happens almost every time I try to join general.
    Kikinu, Celephane and Nennius like this.
  7. Lodestar The Undefeated

This specific behavior is due to a player-cap on how many people can be in General chat. Only so many people can physically join the channel, otherwise you will not be allowed to join it.
  8. Svann2 The Magnificent

This happens almost every day. I have to spam /join general dozens of times. I even made a 5 line hotkey
    /join general
    /join general
    /join general
    /join general
    /join general
    And I still have to hit that hotkey many many times before it gives me general chat.
    edit: bristlebane also
  9. Velisaris_MS Augur

Drinal.

Try to join the channel, you get "channel not found".

The channel cap seems to change randomly. Usually the cap is 400, but I've been able to join it on one account when it was well over 400, but could not join it, at the same time, on my other accounts. Sometimes, I've been able to join it when it was nearly 500.

The overflow channel is NEVER generated.

Been this way for at least a year, maybe longer.
    MiataDriver, Rancid and Warpeace like this.
  10. Velisaris_MS Augur

I've been able to join it when it was well over 400 on one of my accounts, while at the same time, my other accounts could NOT join it.

The channel cap is bogus and fluctuates from minute to minute and, apparently, account to account.
  11. Lodestar The Undefeated

Incorrect. This is provable by spam-joining hundreds of times and being allowed in once the count drops from 400 to 399. You are specifically allowed in upon the count dropping from exactly 400. The inconsistency is that it appears the server will report amounts above 400 in some cases--I'd surmise it's just inconsistency in their backend/code. It could also be related to some overflow mechanism as you mentioned. In these cases, corroboration to this theory is established in that the count will sometimes adjust itself back down to 399 instantaneously.

You will not always get in at 399, but it is repeatable in proving a correlation in the amount of users in the channel and whether you can enter.

My ultimate point here is that this is a "controllable" (intentionally coded) issue that Daybreak likely put into place, assuming chat room size limits. It's not an uncontrolled bug like some seem to be making it out to be. So, it needs to be spoken to in a more precise manner so that Daybreak can adjust their chat-room-sizing mechanisms, rather than looking for some ghost universal chat service bug.

Regardless, it's 2024 and there's no reason for there to be player caps on communicating with each other. Daybreak should fix/remove any restrictions and do better.
  12. Jack Elder

So before this last expansion came out, I was always able to join general. It might not have been the first general chat, but there was always more than one general. Now that's not happening. Something has changed that is preventing the overflow general chats from forming.
  13. Brickhaus Augur

The spawn of multiple generals has been "broken" since before the launch of LS. There were often times on Xegony where nothing beyond the "first" general chat channel would spawn ... well before LS launch.

It just seems like now the extra general channels never spawn (although I cannot say for certain that I haven't seen an instance after LS).
  14. NinjutsuMMO Augur

This happens for me on any server I’m on if I open the game with a VPN on, every time… never had it happen if I turn my vpn off, not sure why, hope it helps.
  15. Stinkur New Member

Oakwynd, all characters. Please fix, you are losing easy money as people can not see auctions in general chat for raid gear being sold for krono. I mean I guess if DB loves to throw away money on potential lost sales then by all means don't fix the issue.
    Regardless this breaks a lot of peoples game, we cant see general chat, or special channels we creat to communicate during raids for class specific roles.
    Kikinu likes this.
  16. Ratalthor Developer

Anyone experiencing this issue, please PM me the following:
    • Character name + Server
    • Which channel(s) is giving you problems?
    • Timestamp (+ your time zone) of the error message
    JohnnyRedLight likes this.
  17. Horse Journeyman

Horselord - Bristlebane
    General
    See log file below for timestamp (MST time zone)

why is the "/join general" not being captured in the log files?
    Warpeace and Svann2 like this.
  18. Lodestar The Undefeated

Bristlebane, 24/7, every day.

I will PM you too.
  19. Rancid Biskits

Drinal, constantly. Seems the more populated a zone is the faster it happens.
  20. MiataDriver Augur

Just logged in a minute or so ago only to find the Universal Chat Service is down, at least for me on EMarr.