Add Marketing to one of your open position job requirements?

Discussion in 'The Veterans' Lounge' started by Vicus, Mar 30, 2024.

1. Vicus Augur

Marketing is nearly free or extremely cheap nowadays and any staff member with a phone can do it. Yet, I see zero new ways any of this is being implemented by Daybreak/Darkpaw and the ways that are being used have been the same for countless years.

Easter, biggest holiday prior to the 4th of July (bigger if you consider outside of the US). Lots of people are home, searching the web, purchasing "gifts", etc.

Yet no flash sales on expansions. No sales on the swag store. No bag sales. No hype videos, no screenshot teases of future expansions, no hints of upcoming events.

Also, this would of been a great time to release TLP news (in conjunction with some type of welcome back or "pre order sale".

When WoW releases a classic server, they create a pre-release bundle you can buy to build hype. Yet EQ does the same bag sale, that has not changed in 4+ years. No new items added, no extra excitement. Just call it something new and move on. Except you didn't even use the holiday to at least promote sales to current old items.

You could of put the bags on sale and stated "gather bags before the release of the upcoming TLP". Even though you haven't announced the rule set, some would bought them assuming they were going to play it.

How about a TLP pack that has items that not only help TLP players, give some perks to live players. Increase sales due to the increase in potential buyers?

This would of been a good time to post TLP Beta sign ups.

How about some new perks or a sale on 6 months/year sub for perks?

The fact there is nothing really reflects on how things are being run. There should be someone on staff whose job is to generate interest and ways to promote sales and revenue, weekly/bi-weekly.

How about a current staff member, gets commission based off increases sales revenue generated by their efforts. This way you don't even pay an employee more unless they have generated the company cash to reflect the pay increase.

This seems to be only happening in EQ/EQ2. The other Daybreak games like DC online have things going on. They launched the game on the PS5 this week (and have sales). Lord of the Rings online released their new Arena Conflicts and have sales this week. Dungeons and Dragons Online released Update 67 two days ago, gave bonuses to VIP players and have a bunch of sales and returning rare items.

Yet there is nothing going on from the outside of EQ. I know there are events and 25th Anny content, but none of this is being capitalized on in my opinion.
  2. Riou EQResource

They didn't even seem to turn on the Easter weekend bonuses either
  3. Smokezz The Bane Crew

I'd hate to see you in charge of marketing at a company...
  4. Fanra https://everquest.fanra.info

CrazyLarth likes this.
  5. Brickhaus Augur

Yinla and Riou like this.
  6. Fanra https://everquest.fanra.info

I see this post by you on another thread.

I get it now, the bonus I mentioned should vary every year depending upon when Easter is and for this year is overdue.

However, we would lose part of the current 50% bonus (sort of) if we went with the Easter bonus now rather than having it happen after the current bonus.

Yes, I do see there is a problem with Darkpaw's calendar with this, thanks.
    Bobbybick, Yinla and Riou like this.
  7. Angahran Augur

Nobody has even attempted to 'market' EQ for at least 20 years.
    The closest they ever get is emailing existing or past subscribers when it gets close to a new expansion release.
    Brontus likes this.
  8. Vicus Augur

Don't disagree, but with their intention of EQ3, even if a long way's off, good time to figure out what does and doesn't work for them.
  9. Angahran Augur

Why do people keep going on about some mythical 'EQ3'? We have a game here that has over 2 decades of history! Why scrap that for something that probably has pretty graphics that people will be bored of in a week?

How about work on how to make EQ better? Get some actual new blood into the game? Keep it going for another 2 decades?
    Ndaara likes this.
  10. Vicus Augur

I don't think anyone on this forum would disagree with you, but that is not the world we live in. It was pretty clear in the presentation that a "remake" wasn't in the works, and EQ3 was in the early planning.

I actually have no doubt this game will be around for another decade. Not because Daybreak is going to keep it up, but because if EQ3 is not successful, the rights of the game will be sold at that point.