Did we get changes, who left?

Discussion in 'The Veterans' Lounge' started by Veteran_BetaTester, Mar 27, 2024.

1. Vicus Augur

Weed being legal or not doesn't change that it is against the law in those states to drive and work at specific while under the effects of weed. Why would any employer want to take that risk, though at these salary ranges, I am sure they are going to get some get some very poor candidates.
    Nennius and Rijacki like this.
  2. Febb Augur

Do you have a medical condition that requires you to smoke it during business hours?
    Nennius and Herf like this.
  3. Mesc No $$$ Until the Experience is put back on Mobs!!!

Who are you to ask about ANYONE'S Medical Condition???
  4. Febb Augur

Who are you to ask ME ANYTHING?
    Nennius and Herf like this.
  5. Waring_McMarrin Augur

I think it is more along the lines of only listing states that they have already gone through the process of setting things up to employee people there. All the places they list are ones that they have offices in.
    Rijacki likes this.
  6. Mesc No $$$ Until the Experience is put back on Mobs!!!

Its none of your Business what problems he may or not have. And i am not asking, I am telling you.
  7. Mesc No $$$ Until the Experience is put back on Mobs!!!

What kind of Idiot asks about someones medical condition on a game message board????
  8. Febb Augur

I am telling you that you cannot prevent me from asking a question regardless of your feelings on the subject.
    Nennius likes this.
  9. JetZeppelin2h Augur

I am a diabetic and I don't normally smoke because smoking is bad for you. I used to make oil with it but I found sugar is much better and can be used easier vs using oil. Weed is known to be good for diabetics if you can fight the munchies.
  10. Rijacki Just a rare RPer on FV and Oakwynd

Adding new employees is not necessarily the result of someone leaving but can often be the result of budget being opened up to expand the team, especially if the team was "compacted" in previous years. I am hopeful this is because they have gotten more budget and are putting it into expanding the team. Enter level positions, even in tech, rarely pay higher salaries.
  11. sforzando New Member

50k for a SE role in 2024? Bruh you can make ~45k working an entry level gig at Costco and don't even need a college degree. Add to that needing to be in a High COL state like CA/NY. 60k was what you could make out of college with a CS degree back in 2005. Add to that you're looking for entry-level/associates that are proficient in C++ when that language is barely taught these days unless it's strictly in academic CS. Completely out of touch company from top to bottom.

Who are they hoping to attract with these salaries? Geriatric retirees? No fresh college grad is gonna think "oh yeah i REALLY wanna work on a 25 year old game with spaghetti code, and an engine that can barely run on modern hardware!"
    Metanis likes this.
  12. Herf Augur

I'm sure DP would much rather have non-spaghetti code written in a modern language, but the code base is in C++. It is what it is.

I'm one of those "geriatrics" who was sort of curious about the programmer position, but between the low pay and the sort of generally odd job description I was deterred.
  13. Herf Augur

The way the OP described it, "getting stoned", seems to suggest recreational use rather than medical use. I believe that is what the other poster as getting at with their question. It came across no different as "can I have a 4 martini lunch?"
  14. Bernel Augur

I'm just about to retire and looking for part time work. I haven't done C++ in a while (I was doing a lot of C++ when EQ came out), but I could see some retirees in a similar situation considering a job like this if it was part time. It would be fun to work on EQ as a way to stay busy.
    Herf likes this.
  15. Tuco Augur

Genuine question, how hard would it be for DBG to add the other states to remote work? Is it likely a taxation or license barrier or related to having offices in ny, ca, tx, wa?
  16. Fanra https://everquest.fanra.info

An internet search shows that DGC can hire from any state in the USA. However, they have to comply with the employee's residence's state employment and employee tax laws. This will cost additional time and/or money.

As for a physical office, it does not appear necessary to do so in each state you wish to hire from. Although you may have to register with each state, a physical presence there seems unnecessary.

Like everything else, there are companies that specialize in handling all the details of this for corporations, they just have to pay them.

Since the cost of living in California is higher than most states, DGC should be able to offer lower salaries in some states to offset the extra costs of hiring there.

In any case, while some of DGC career postings say which states are authorized, others do not. If DGC is going to restrict all hiring to certain states, all postings should say that up front. Instead, some say, "Location: San Diego, CA / Daybreak Approved Remote Locations", without actually listing the states that are "approved locations".

Some career postings do say, "Location: San Diego, CA / Daybreak Approved Remote Locations (CA, WA, TX, NY)", and based upon the replies in this thread, it appears that even though some do not say this, all postings require the employee to reside in CA, WA, TX, or NY.

It appears that at this time, DGC feels they can find the employees they want in only CA, WA, TX, or NY. So regardless of whether or not the "best" employees for the position reside in other states, they seem to feel the effort to extend beyond those four states does not offer enough incentive to do so.
  17. Metanis Bad Company

So I'm pretty old and jaded so take that into consideration with my feeling that the salary range is much more negotiable than listed. It's partly just a head fake to keep existing employees on the reservation. Because you know if they hire someone new at a higher salary than an existing employee then that existing employee is NOT going to be a happy camper.

Now the other possibility is that they really don't want to hire people but they need to make the appearance. This is of course to calm the feelings of the existing staffers who feel overwhelmed and overworked. It's nothing more than a show so the middle managers can say that they "tried" to get some help.

They're all pointy-haired bosses in the long run.
  18. JetZeppelin2h Augur

Honestly, I would go more of that route of not wanting to hire anyone. Where I work I manage a single software as the only dev which I was one of the leads who built over 15+ years ago. I know they don't want the software anymore and would love for it to end but it makes them over 10 million in revenue every year so they don't want to just fire me and end the software (some of our clients have said they will leave if they have to change the sofware system). This means as long as we have a few million dollar customers saying they will find another company if they end my software. It also means even though I have asked for 1 real QA full time person and maybe a better product owner to manage changes that are asked for in the software I have not gotten anyone new hired for me in over 5 years.

It is just unspoken that my company wants my software to die but you know it still makes over 10 million in revenue every year and you only have 1 full time dev and 1 part time QA person keeping the software going so getting rid of it much like EQ isn't ideal but paying more for people to make it better isn't something they want to do.
  19. uberkingkong Augur

Thats the game designer, https://www.daybreakgames.com/careers?job=7277035002
    looking at it, I'm guessing they write down stories and what not.

Then this one is slightly paid more, 50-58k
    Guessing you just use their sandbox software and drag and drop npcs and maybe color things.

So basically game designer says
    yellow turban enemies they do yada yada
    they go take an already made orc model and put some yellow in it.
    oh those are both designer jobs one must be entry/intern but paid,
    designer associate vs designer I?
    must be an intern type role but paid I assume

https://www.daybreakgames.com/careers?job=7293006002
    thats the actual coding job 59-76k, not bad for
    associate,
    just like associate designer vs designer I
    associate maybe its an intern but paid.

59-77k for intern like job, coding, thats good.

talks about stress of new hires, entry level people.
    seniors lose their time, and trust, is it gonna be beneficial later on or what. they make the team better they get tasks done, they do quality work? they accountable?

So anyways, probably 100s of people going after those jobs, its a saturated market. those are real entry level jobs too.
    If you don't really got a good job, you probably should go after those jobs, because I'm sure they value EQ knowledge a lot.
    Theres not that many with EQ knowledge.
    They probably going to train you anyways
    think the minimum you'd have to know is can you do blackjack as OOP project, calculator, and your technical skills like fizzbuzz. If you can do that and you have vast EQ knowledge and very motivated I'm sure you'll make it far. That just shows you can do coding and its not gonna be like they teach you coding, its more read code and figure it out, you can do basics you understand what is going on, start using AI start talking to the senior dev.
  20. Lodestar The Undefeated

I'd be very interested in seeing the reactions of those who do actual work at Daybreak, and their reading of what UBK thinks they do. Intriguing assessment.

I am also questioning the value of this, to anyone.

If they're only going to make $50K then I guess all they may be able to do is put some yellow in the orc model and yada yada.