Did we get changes, who left?

Discussion in 'The Veterans' Lounge' started by Veteran_BetaTester, Mar 27, 2024.

1. Veteran_BetaTester PIZZA!

2. Mesc No $$$ Until the Experience is put back on Mobs!!!

Interesting. /grabs popcorn
    KarmaKitty and mercury890 like this.
  3. Nennius Curmudgeon

Raisinets ?
    mercury890 likes this.
  4. Tyranthraxus Grognard

Movement toward eq 3, or adding more staff after the AMA seems more likely, but never know.
  5. Mesc No $$$ Until the Experience is put back on Mobs!!!

Sno-Caps :)
    Nennius likes this.
  6. Meeko Developer(Code)

7. KushallaFV Playing EverQuest

Fenthen and mercury890 like this.
  8. Nennius Curmudgeon

Umm I am hoping they are remote work or at a studio outside of San Diego. Reason being that the pay offered won't get you an average apartment in San Diego. I do appreciate the limits of budgets. Ran a business myself a very long time ago, but in the next few days the minimum wage at most fast food joints in California will be going up to $20.00 per hour. And if a person working at a McDonald's can make $41,600 a year assuming a 40 hour week, you may be hard pressed to get the folks you want with the skills you need.

So, questions. Is there overtime? Are there bonuses built in tied to performance? Medical/dental? What is the size of the employee contribution for that? I wish you all the best of luck, but I have lived in the San Diego area my entire life and I know very well how expensive it is to live here. This is one of the highest priced areas to live in, in the U.S. Weather and a gym only carry so far.
  9. jeskola pheerie

Flexin likes this.
  10. fransisco Augur

since its remote work, why wouldn't you accept someone from the other 46 states?
  11. Marton Augur

45k - 55k in San Diego? lol
  12. mercury890 Old Timer from the days of karana.

Yinla and uberkingkong like this.
  13. Strawberry Augur

Regarding wages. US wage growth has exploded over the last few years, far outstripping wage growth in mainland Europe and Asia.

There's a lot of "firings" in the gaming industry lately. But if you look at the data, almost all of those firings happened in the US. In Eastern/Southern Europe and Asia, gaming companies are hiring.

This is a direct result of the US wage growth. You can get 3 game developers in Poland or Malaysia, for the price of 1 in California.

A lot of industries in the US are partly shielded from wage competition through protectionist measures, but not gaming companies. Digital talent can be recruited all over the world, you can't throw up trade barriers against human capital working digitally and remotely.

You can choose to outsource as a gaming company, and Daybreak has done this, outsourcing work to India. But of course these countries realize they can make games themselves now, and increasingly prefer working for local companies, and share in more of the profits.

[IMG]
    Nennius likes this.
  14. Conq Augur

I'm sorry Meeko, I didn't see the job posting for the "Game Experience Assessor" position, Requirements: play Everquest endlessly for 20+ years; Compensation: Free Meals; Remote: Yes. Please link that one? I'll forward you my resume and UberEATS link. Thanks!
    Conq
    Hobs, Ndaara, Duder and 6 others like this.
  15. Nennius Curmudgeon

They do have a decent number of handicapped parking spots. Just looking for the positives.
    Corwyhn Lionheart likes this.
  16. Dargon2727 New Member

It's because of tax reasons, most of the time companies will need to setup a tax entity in that state and it costs them money and lot of time.
    PathToEternity and Rijacki like this.
  17. minimind The Village Idiot

It's very the Assoc. Game Designer position is definitely an entry-level position. They're not looking to head hunt from Blizzard up in Irvine, but likely trying to recruit someone who graduated relatively recently from UC Irvine's game design program.

18. Fenthen aka Rath

Those salaries are about 1/3rd of where they should be.... unless you're hiring in India then it's okay.
  19. Rainbowbright Journeyman

Then why are the states without income tax not included.
  20. Fanra https://everquest.fanra.info

Does this mean you have to live in California or certain states? One job description lists specific states but other two do not. So the ones that do not, can it be any state?