So... *attended* automated gameplay IS allowed?

Discussion in 'The Veterans' Lounge' started by coltongrundy, Mar 14, 2024.

1. fransisco Augur

So how many accounts has the OP had banned over the years I wonder
  2. NatazzEvoli Elder

Bulk this with some of the people that want currency from merc kill quests because "my auto bot group can do that too"... Cheaters in EQ are pathetic. There is a guild on Luclin vastly full of them. I just don't understand it..
  3. Nennius Curmudgeon

Am I the only one who is amazed at the number of EQ lawyers there are?
  4. Flatchy Court Jester

Better Call Saul!
    Hobs, Roxas MM, Rijacki and 1 other person like this.
  5. Tuco Augur

minimind likes this.
  6. Tuco Augur

Yes. Their stance could not be clearer.

"Discussing third-party software is not permitted on the forums."

[IMG]

Additionally,

REDACTED
  7. code-zero Augur

8. Lothar Journeyman

Apparently the post was removed. The link is now dead.
    Corwyhn Lionheart likes this.
  9. silverj New Member

Would it be possible to see this potentially new policy somewhere?

As someone who has boxed before and was looking to come back for the anniversary, it would be interesting to me to gauge whether I could expect to enjoy a bit of an eq box in the following weeks.

I have not been banned for boxing before, but will it be different now? I would not like to subscribe six accounts for just a day of level 100 fun...
  10. Vumad Cape Wearer

11. I_Love_My_Bandwidth Mercslayer

And DPG doubles down on radio silence. :D
  12. Veteran_BetaTester PIZZA!

According to this, there are favoritism. 15:25 of the video. At 16:20 it is interesting about Daybreak somewhat agreed to allow the software.
    So it is absolutely BS when they say they won't say what software is allowed when behind your back there is agreements... to cheat. BUT you do get suspended for cheating.

GM alert GM alert.. when a GM is near you.. omg have to jump to the pc to reply to a tell.
    That sort of stuff.

So think about this next time you want to buy something from DB store.
    If you only play your charactor and earn everything yourself.. don't use hack maps, hack programs or allow others to log in your toon to help you progress, hunters, partitian or mercenary... You have 100% rights to .

See, SOE wouldn't allow that.

This is eventually why the game will fail.
    I sent a petition asking about this, I got no reply.

Remember, he only shows cheating for educational purposes :D
  13. Beimeith Lord of the Game

That's a really, really dumb and bad video.

1) The rules are quite clear they're not vague. No automation. Nothing that modifies the client and/or directly reads the game memory/data stream.

2) Gina/parsing is not now, nor has ever been, considered cheating by anyone. It is not "ambiguous." It only reads log files. It's fine, and has always been fine.

3) Using multiple computers is not "getting around" truebox. That was the entire purpose, to make it harder and thus less likely to be done, but without blocking boxing entirely. It's literally in the name.

4) Screen sharing / remote access / broadcasting etc. is not "bending" the rules of truebox, it is breaking them.

5) Interstellar space is not cheating outside of truebox ruleset servers. Broadcasting and/or using something simple like keyboard software that maps a combo to a programmable key is allowed on non-truebox servers.

6) Macaroni is the same (or worse) level of cheating than the one that automates via reading log files and harry potter maps. Placing it at level 3 and the others at level 4 alongside active hacks (which should be level 5) is laughable.

Here's a real list:

1) Not cheating:
    Things that read the log files and outputting that as text.

2) Questionable, technically not allowed, but shouldn't catch a ban:
    Magelo, Item parsers, AA Parsers

These read private data which is against the rules, but is generally ignored.

3) Not technically cheating, but also not allowed and can catch a ban.
    VMs

VMs are not cheating themselves, but they are primarily used by cheaters, so not allowed.

4) Cheating
    Any automation*, any broadcast/remote access/KVM/Screensharing** software on Truebox.

*Including ones that read log files.
    **Anything that allows you to control multiple instances of EQ from a single computer.

5) Super duper nuke them from space cheating
    Active hacks
  14. Spacemonkey555 Augur

It's been almost a decade, let it go. SOE is a memory, like 9 raid/4 mission expansions and high EG7 stock price.
    Fenthen likes this.
  15. code-zero Augur

Here's a solid tip: If you think you have to ask then don't do it

Here's another solid tip: if you think you've found a loophole that will allow you to legally do something then it's not legal and there's no loophole
    Captain Video and Rijacki like this.
  16. CdeezNotes Augur

Key broadcasting shouldn't be allowed. It's automation's dirty little cousin. 1 button press per char. Not one button press for all 6.
  17. Velisaris_MS Augur

If you have to use a 3rd party program to do something you can't do with the EQ client alone, it shouldn't be allowed.

You can't use EQ's client to press one key on one toon in one instance of the game and have that command go to every other instance you have running, so if you're using another program to do that, guess what...you're cheating.

Nobody will ever change my mind on this.
    CdeezNotes and Rijacki like this.
  18. Angahran Augur

100% completely wrong.
    [IMG]
    Eaedyilye likes this.
  19. CdeezNotes Augur

There opinion is wrong? How does that work? Yes, it's allowed, but they are of the opinion it's cheating.

My opinion of your reply? Silly.
  20. Velisaris_MS Augur

Can you do what you do with the boxing programs with the EQ client alone? No, you can't. I don't give a flying F what a dev says is acceptable based on the time of day, the month, or the year they happen to get asked the question, because their answers are always fluid depending on if they're talking about FTP players cheating or paid TLP players cheating.

Being able to do things you can't do with EQ alone is cheating...period.