Does Truebox actually solve anything?

Discussion in 'Time Locked Progression Servers' started by Varyk, Mar 13, 2024.

1. Risiko Augur

The only thing that truebox actually accomplishes is getting the average EQ player to not box.

Does it get rid of the bad actors? Absolutely not. It actually makes it easier on them because they don't have to compete as much with you.
    Muramx likes this.
  2. Ddezul Augur

If they do another server without True Box it will be dead quicker than any server before it.
  3. NuffanTuit Nuffan Tuit on Innoruuk Server

ONLY if there are two and one is true box. true box server is where the farmer will go every time.

This goes back to the krono being a double edged sword.

the multi-box crews have gotten around true box and they have a much larger customer base on true box servers.

As someone else already stated true box only effects the casual boxer who does not want to use two machines.

The BAD APPLES thrive in a true box environment.
    Kaenneth likes this.
  4. Tinklepee New Member

The software can work on multiple machines over LAN. The ones who know what they're doing just use VMs.
  5. NuffanTuit Nuffan Tuit on Innoruuk Server

VM's are creating Virtual machines on a single PC.

LMAO
  6. NuffanTuit Nuffan Tuit on Innoruuk Server

Players use VM's to get around the true box mechanism.
  7. jeskola pheerie

I think his point was there are two branches of cheating. Both involve some level of cheat detection circumvention. Both are so googleable and widespread in 2024 that truebox is now a joke being played on the remaining hardcore good guy or naive customers.
  8. AnonFrog01 Journeyman

It helps. It would help MORE if DPG would actually enforce said rules.
  9. NuffanTuit Nuffan Tuit on Innoruuk Server

There are players using PC's for each character and 6 boxing so that is not against the rules.

I really think the idea of true box was to force boxers to use multiple machines because of a particular 3rd party software. They got around it using VMWare.

But not every 6 box group is violating the rule and there is no real way to determine otherwise.

A no you can not just assume they are breaking the rules.
  10. itiswhatitis Elder

Even without VMware they are still using 3rd party software to control there mouse and keyboards. That is still cheating according to DB.
  11. Bewts Augur

Boxers will find ways around the limitations imposed by Truebox rulesets. However, the rule set does constrain the amount of people who box and how many accounts they run at one time.

Its sort of like getting the flu shot: It should help keep the case count down, and may minimize the severity of the symptoms that one would experience if they got the flu - but it won't outright prevent the flu from going around.

There are arguments to be made if this is bad or good for a server in general, but experiencing the Lockjaw / Ragefire TLP set where there were maaaaaany people running box armies because of how easy it was to produce - the Truebox certainly helps mute that experience. Heck, I didn't know what I was doing and with a single app I was running 6 accounts with relative ease from a single computer. Multiple that across hundreds of subs and you'll quickly see a server without Truebox rulesets today turn into those who run box armies of various sizes, and those in the minority who do not.
  12. FadedshadeTLP Lorekeeper

I dont think anyone wants to get rid of Truebox entirely - WE just wanted Relaxed, so we can play 2-3 toons. That hardly counts as an army :) Gotta try a middleground when people both hate normal Truebox and hate no Truebox.
  13. itiswhatitis Elder

I will take a relaxed truebox at start and removed completely in POP. Truebox doesn't get rid of the botters it is so dumb.
  14. Indigo_Quarmite Augur

The cold hard truth:

If they don't convert to relaxed truebox as being the normal starting point they are just losing out on subs. So sure, Truebox solves the problem of having more revenue and the ability to actually do some of the stuff the fans want from AMA. They can now keep citing lack of funding.

Reality is the boxers just VPN and DPG can't figure out how to catch them and/or (more likely) doesn't want to shut them down. So Tbox only hurts regular randy and rachel.
  15. Ddezul Augur

ragefire on line one
  16. NuffanTuit Nuffan Tuit on Innoruuk Server

The software will only work if all the characters are on one machine...They use VMWare to get around that on a true box server...

the large crews use several machine to run multiple groups each..
  17. NuffanTuit Nuffan Tuit on Innoruuk Server

There is True Box
    There is relaxed box

and there is non box. (not limited)

While I agree most would prefer Relaxed Box me included.

But to move to relaxed box is getting rid of true box entirely...lol
  18. FadedshadeTLP Lorekeeper

Which is good, they honestly should have gotten rid of Truebox as soon as they implemented Relaxed Truebox
  19. fireworks Journeyman

Truebox is trash and I hate it. Increased energy costs, hardware costs, setup complexity for an ancient game. All it does is gatekeep boxing from people who don't have the means to support multiple PCs/higher electricity bills. It's incredibly ironic that a super liberal company like Daybreak is pushing high CO2 gaming in 2024, but whatever keeps the plebs from 3boxing I guess.
    itiswhatitis likes this.
  20. itiswhatitis Elder