Essential skills for 100 SK?

Discussion in 'Tanks' started by Bamp, Mar 17, 2024.

1. Bamp Augur

Hi all. Just got the 25th anniversary boost for a 100 character and boosted an SK up. I had played SK to 63 recently on TLP so I know the basics, but after boosting my SK on one of the older servers I see there's just a huge amount of AA and combat abilities and I don't know which ones are really key skills.

I'm sure every ability probably has some use, but anyone able to tell me what the essentials are for 100+ please?
  2. Quatr Augur

There is a "Heroic Level 100 Shadowknight Getting Started" guide on YouTube in case you are not familiar with it.
    Bamp likes this.
  3. Szilent Augur

That youtube fella has a whole lot of "guides" linked, but doesn't appear to have talked to anyone about them. His first step with every character is to delete all the default buttons that actual players arranged to be there, then he puts back only the buttons he knows about - which is sometimes half of them.
    Toni and Bamp like this.
  4. Xyroff-cazic. Director of Sarcasm

Honestly, this is kind of like trying to fly a rocket ship, but you've ridden a bicycle before so you know the basics. Playing any class at level 63 is a very different experience than at 85+, let alone at 100.

I'd suggest doing a lot of practice on easy content to get used to the abilities, and then dropping into the SK discord https://discord.gg/EgPguUXvTd to ask specific questions.
    Bamp likes this.
  5. Brickhaus Augur

And get your epic 2.0 asap. At 100 (I assume the gear is at least okay for 100), should be able to blow through it easy. Many good writeups all over the web.
    Ozon and Bamp like this.
  6. fransisco Augur

Why isn't alcohol tolerance ever considered an essential skill?
    SirSarcasm and Bamp like this.
  7. Bamp Augur

Yeah, I actually watched that up to where he was fighting some stuff before posting here and it's basically useless. It's not like he knows what an SK should be doing. It's just him starting from where I am and guessing what to do.
  8. Bamp Augur

I'm sure there's certain abilities that a high level SK uses all the time. That's what I was asking to find out about and then I would go forward from there on my own. The game set up about 50 hot keys for me when I upgraded the character to 100. I don't think they're all used in every fight.
  9. Szilent Augur

that's a great way to approach, well, EverQuest. Not just Shadow Knighting. All the buttons aren't supposed to be used in every fight, but they are all supposed to be used. Roughly according to their reuse times. Like Harmtouch is the famous biggie, so it can be used as a baseline, 20 minutes. If Spire of the Reavers with 7.5 minute reuse isn't being used roughly 3x as much as Harmtouch, you're probably not using it enough. One thing that can be super helpful is holding right click on a button, once you've figured the button out, to change its label. In this example, you might change it to "Spire 7.5"

Xyroff-cazic. got your back already with the shd class Discord link. It has lots of active players:
    https://discord.gg/nPvJqUq7tD

Lil' bit of a spoiler warning, they're definitely going to tell you to take your Touch of Falsin (100), Touch of Urash (95), and Grelleth's Skin (100) spells for a walk as you work on epic2.0 :p Doing that and collecting a set of 30ac Heroic augments from the Feerott & House of Thule - Lower zone will give some good time, without wasting time, to figure out additional buttons & ask more directed questions in the Discord
    Twelvestrings and Bamp like this.
  10. Bamp Augur

Thanks for the replies.
  11. Ozon Augur

Bamp likes this.
  12. Vumad Cape Wearer

I had a similar experience. https://forums.daybreakgames.com/eq/index.php?threads/sk-writeup-for-120.285175/

TLDR...
    SHD has just an absolutely overwhelming amount of abilities. To manage this, ask experienced SHD the order they use abilities for a job, then setup a hotbar that is for that job, then just click through that hotbar.

Here's a few options for jobs to setup a hotbar for
    Disc tanking
    Burning
    AE hate
    Snap aggro
    Pulling
    General Spell spam / maintaining aggro

------

Note, I am not a great SHD still, I am a SHD box to support my raiding ENC main, but this is how I am managing it.

I managed it by organizing my hotbars ahead of time and clicking them in order.

We have defensive abilities and the order of using them is pretty well laid out by some other players. I just started on a hot bar going left to right. I believe my order is Carapace, Mantle, Unholy. When I need the extra tanking, I click them left to right as they wear off. We have a few defensives that stack, reavers bargin, and there are some defensive advantages to spire, so those are next to the Disc order I laid out. If things get real hairy, I work my defensive discs left to right AND I click bargin. We also have some defensiveness built into other things, like our BP and our epic, so again, I just put all that stuff in the hotbar and I click through them as they wear off. You wont be super efficient in their use, getting some overlap and wasted abilities, but you can't click mantle until carapace wears off, so just having them in a hotbar in an order makes a big difference. Remember that deflection only works with a shield equipped.

We have numerous AE hate abilities. I also have these on a hotbar together. We have 2 targeted AE AA, a beam AE AA, a AE disc, an AE spell and if you want to include it, an AE lifetap. Again, these are just on a hotbar together.

We also have a number of single target hate. Again, have a snap aggro hotbar.

We have some burn abilities, again, a burn hotbar, preset in the order I use them. Typically I use spire with the zombie melee illusion when I can, and the decay illusion when I am burning with my ENC.

We do have some debuffs, Tyvls, and 1 that reduces accuracy by 75%. I just click both of those when I pull a named, or otherwise cycle them.

For pulling, put hate's attraction next to the perfected FD.

For spells, you stack a bunch of life taps, just make sure repudiate (its a rune with like a 15s recast delay) in with you spam buttons.
    Bamp and Quatr like this.
  13. Bamp Augur

Hey, thanks a ton for the reply. I hadn't logged on here for awhile.

That info is very helpful! I really appreciate it.
  14. Madinye New Member

Honestly with autogrand I would just focus on levels for the most part, otherwise your going to be buying AAs that would be free up to 120. Then I would max out CS/CA then go into the finer points.
    Bamp likes this.
  15. Wulfhere Augur

CS is cancelled by 2H weapon stance. So let that auto grant too.
    Bamp likes this.