Full screen

Discussion in 'The Newbie Zone' started by GnomeGnomeGnome, Feb 15, 2024.

1. GnomeGnomeGnome Elder

Hi
    There used to be a way to hit a key and switch to full screen without having to go into options. What key is that? ... anyone?
  2. Dre. Altoholic

alt enter
  3. GnomeGnomeGnome Elder

thank you so much, i knew it was something simple like that.
    Roxas MM and Dre. like this.
  4. Iven the Lunatic

Close, but in fact it is Alt-Return.
  5. CatsPaws No response to your post cause your on ignore

Return keys are used on typewriters. Computer keyboards have "enter" keys, at least the most common ones, but considering you use German it may be different.
    Metanis likes this.
  6. Iven the Lunatic

Interesting, I never noticed a difference to them until now. I do wonder if both enter keys on the american QWERTY layout do have the same function for EQ. Only the big centered one does work on a german QWERTZ layout to toggle fullscreen/windowed.
  7. Gialana Augur

This discussion made me curious because I thought Enter and Return were different words for the same key and function. An article I just read in fact said Windows treats the keys the same, but applications can treat them differently. It turns out that EQ does treat them differently for toggling full screen mode.

The Return key can be considered the button to the right of the ' (apostrophe) on a standard US keyboard (but I still call it Enter), and the Enter can be considered the key to the right of the 3 and period keys on the 10-key pad. On my two keyboards, the Return key has the word Enter and a left-facing arrow. The Enter key on the number pad doesn't have an arrow.

To toggle full screen mode requires the Return/Enter key to the right of the apostrophe. The Enter key on the number pad doesn't work. But both keys work for entering commands or sending messages in EQ.

So the distinction isn't very important. I just found it interesting.
  8. Goranothos Augur

On my Keychron keyboard, both of those keys are labeled Enter, but the one to the right of the ' has the left facing arrow.

I would be interested to know how many of us learned to type on an actual typewriter, rather than a keyboard. I'm 57, and I learned to type in high school on an IBM Selectric typewriter (the one with the round metal ball with all the letters and numbers on it). Playing EQ did help me increase my typing speed considerably, however.
  9. Dre. Altoholic

Similar experience 10+ years later except we would alternate between typewriters and monochrome computers with cheap membrane keyboards. Everyone preferred the typewriters because boy those keyboards were trash.
    Goranothos likes this.
  10. Goranothos Augur

All membrane keyboards are trash, IMO. Love my mechanical Keychron. I bet it weighs 10 lbs, lol.
  11. Iven the Lunatic

They can be as good as mechanical keyboards, but might be more vunerable to fluids. I destroyed a great membrane keyboard with a cacao drink, and never found out why it ceased to work correctly, after everything got cleaned and dried. The electronic might got damaged by a circuit. I heavily used that keyboard for more than ten years and it survived many smaller fluid attacks.
  12. Penuche New Member

One of my laptop keeps reverting to windowed mode whenever I log out and back in. I need to alt+return enter each time. Anyone know how to fix that?
  13. Iven the Lunatic

Playing in windowed mode is the only workaround I think. What you describe is not the windowed mode, it just does look similar.
    It is the fullscreen window being out of focus.
  14. Cassiera MOAR DoTs

Well. I've finally found the most pedantic argument in EQ: enter vs return

::Slow clap::

I'm almost proud of us.
    Metanis and Dre. like this.
  15. Aiona Augur

Ahh yes, "return carriage" <CR>! I almost forgot I took Typewriting 101. Ha-ha.
  16. Yinla Ye Ol' Dragon