Not a bugg but.

Discussion in 'The Veterans' Lounge' started by Peter_The_great, Mar 4, 2024.

1. Peter_The_great Elder

Please devs.

When we respawn after a death in the game or log into the world, make us start in the Third person view -not- in First Person View.

Simple fix, 5min coding.
    Rijacki likes this.
  2. Velisaris_MS Augur

Just like it was an awful idea to force people who enjoy playing in full screen to start the game in windowed mode, forcing people to log in or respawn in 3rd person as oppsed to 1st person is just as equally a god awful idea.

I play in 1st person for a damn reason...I don't want the game forcing me into a view I despise.
  3. Gialana Augur

Rather than forcing a view that many people don't use, it would be better if it kept track of which view was last used and return to that.
  4. Peter_The_great Elder

Trust me, most players uses max scroll out view and not zoomed in through the eyes view.
    Cadira likes this.
  5. Nennius Curmudgeon

A really bad idea. Forcing folks down a path isn't a good idea. And since you couldn't care enough to put it in the right forum...
    Paladin and Yinla like this.
  6. Yinla Ye Ol' Dragon

In your opinion.

Personally I prefer it as it is.
    Paladin and Nennius like this.
  7. Peter_The_great Elder

What if devs does something like this.

That view you ''die'' in will be the same when you respawn?

Scrolling out every time getting so 1999.

1st person view is so bad for this game, you don't see all around you and the screen is jumping up and down making one sea sick.
    Rijacki and Fenthen like this.
  8. Cadira Augur

Yeap, it's the superior way to play no doubt.
  9. Tatanka Joe Schmo

100%, leave the view the way the player had it before death. There's NO reason to change it to anything else.

And, let me look around (mouse-look) while dead. It'd be nice to see if the rest of the group is winning while I'm sitting there waiting for a rez.
    Knifen, Gialana, Yinla and 2 others like this.
  10. Rijacki Just a rare RPer on FV and Oakwynd

Those who play in 3rd person are more impacted by the change to 1st person on respawn, death save, and log in. Those who play in 1st person won't notice 'cause it is their preferred view and they aren't switched.

The game should know which view you're in when you die, join the purple club, or log out. That view should be the one you remain in.

The worst is when I've gotten a last minute save, having joined the purple club, in the middle of a fight, it's very jarring to be put into 1st person view as a melee since the whole screen sways, etc. with exaggerated movement. It affects my vision and does begin to make me queasy and cause a headache to start. It slows me down as I am frantically scrolling to get the view to where it's not making sick. I will sometimes close my eyes while I am trying to get the view changed. It doesn't happen often, thankfully, but when it does, it's sudden and unexpected. It's also one of the reasons I don't want to play a tank. If not for the impact on the group, I would almost rather be killed than be saved at that last moment. Getting a rez, I'm not immediately in melee so don't have the swinging screen.

An alternate would be to have a way to shut of the screen swing as is possible in other games.

But, I sincerely doubt there will be any change in this way since it hasn't been changed in 25 years and this type of thread/complaint has come up before. The game is not friendly to anyone who has even mild vision or hand issues, but that's not uncommon, sadly, in the whole gaming industry.
  11. Fanra https://everquest.fanra.info

Paladin likes this.
  12. Mesc No $$$ Until the Experience is put back on Mobs!!!

Why is it they are still having a problem with the coding when they have been working on it for literally 20 years. Shouldn't all the code have been updated over the last 20 years? How long should it take to change code over?
  13. Iven the Lunatic

I prefer 1st person view. Death should save the last camera mode so everyone would be happy.
    Fenthen, Gialana and Nennius like this.
  14. Brickhaus Augur

Rezz effects should lock you into 1st person view with no scroll out until rezz effects wear off.

Make death actually mean something to most of you!

I play 1st person view always. It's how I started. It's how I learned the game. It's how I fell in love with the game. Very rarely, and only on raids, will I scroll out to see certain things. But it definitely destroys the immersion for me. I play the game to pretend to be one of my characters. I'm not if I can see the back of my head ... unless I had eyes in the back of my head. Then we can talk.
    Annastasya, Flatchy and Yinla like this.
  15. Andarriel Everquest player since 2000

Usually when im actually playing my ranger or mage i'll use the mouse wheel to were i can see my whole char but just barely. Lets me see more things too and with ranger's vision buffs makes it nice.
  16. Rijacki Just a rare RPer on FV and Oakwynd

I am an RPer. I had that same opinion until I was playing a coercer in EQ2 and needed to be able to look around quickly. The games do not have peripheral vision or the ability to look around you without turning the entire body. In life, I can be doing something in front of me but still can look to my right and left or even behind me partially. If you have to move your entire body to look around you, no one would be able to drive. It's not eyes on the back of your head, it's the ability to move your head independent of your full body. Because of back/neck issues at one time, for a while I did have to move my whole body and not just look with a head turn. Crossing a street was difficult. When my back/neck improved and I could look by swiveling my head, I was amazed by the improvement in how I could maneuver and manage day-to-day tasks.

And then I got older and my vertigo got a lot more sensitive. I avoid certain mounts because of the screen movement that's still present in 3rd person (some mounts are worse than others). In 1st person as a melee, just the amount of time it takes me to scroll out from being saved on the brink of death can begin to make me queasy and start a headache. If I was required to play in 1st person all the time, I would not be able to play any melee and even some casting would be right out. I would likely be forced out of the game (or even gaming) altogether.

Plus, I like looking at my character, something I cannot do in 1st person at all.
  17. Flatchy Court Jester

Before I discovered EQ I played games like Baldurs Gate, Icewind Dale , etc and they were in third person. I also went through the Dooms, and Quakes etc that were in first person. I guess I never really thought about it but just played them like the developer made them to be played. EQ is a first person game to me so I always play it like that.

I always played with the game sound on and the fighting music going but have learned to forgo that so who knows what the future holds. If they make it to be played either way pick what you like the best and it should always come back to that when you die or when you log in.
  18. JetZeppelin2h Augur

Not true, I play in first person over 50% of the time but I do use scroll out to view certain things from time to time. I mainly only use 3rd person when we are fighting mobs that are flying around so high above you that while meleeing you can't see them or really small animals on the ground that you can't see in first person.
  19. Rylak Elder

Why is it so hard for people to create a credible post when asking about ideas for dev consideration? Next time, try following these 5 simple rules.

1. Make sure it's something you really think needs to be communicated, if so continue...
    2. Generate a meaningful title that conveys "The Ask"
    3. Detail what you are looking for
    4. Be prepared for alternative opinions. If your only way to handle them is by rejecting them, then refer to #1, else proceed to #5.
    5. Don't be a compete jack@s5. And certainly don't tell the devs how this works into the scope of their job. Is this becomes your path of choice - the immediately STOP. The community will unknowingly thank you for this.
    Bilderov, Act of Valor and Nennius like this.
  20. Nennius Curmudgeon

Very well put.