ALT Tab Issue

Discussion in 'The Veterans' Lounge' started by Cicelee, Feb 24, 2024.

1. Cicelee Augur

Before 2/21 patch- main character is full screen. Secondary character in window 2/3 of monitor screen. I alt tab between the two characters, and outside of a 4-6 second delay that I have accommodated for and live with, no issues.

After 2/21 patch- main character full screen, secondary in window. I tab from main to secondary, 3-5 second delay. Do what I want on secondary. When I alt tab back to main, however-

Main is now in same size window as secondary.
    I cannot click on any buttons with mouse, but can hit keyboard numbers for hotkeys.

I have to alt enter, which delays for 3-5 seconds and now I can click hotbuttons, but screen is still window. I then hit alt enter again, and after 3-5 seconds main character is back in full screen mode.

I prefer not to have both be windowed. I prefer main to be full screen. I can live with a 4-6 delay before the patch, but it is really inconvenient and dumb how this is now.

Any thoughts or suggestions on what I can do to revert back to before patch where main stayed in full screen after alt tabs? Thanks!
    BoldarBlood, mercury890 and Sunawar like this.
  2. Captain Video Augur

Several players reported alt-TAB behavior as broken on Test before this patch went Live. No response from dev team so far. It's like when they began forcing the client to launch in windowd mode -- They've done it on purpose, so there is currently no way for the player to change it back.
    mercury890 likes this.
  3. KushallaFV Playing EverQuest

I honestly can't believe how terrible you make boxing for yourself. Just window mode the main character to fit the screen, dude. Do yourself a favor just go down to the thrift shop like Goodwill and buy a second monitor.

The people that play EQ really do hate themselves.
    Act of Valor and Dre. like this.
  4. Cicelee Augur

OK I was not aware of the Test thing. At least I know it is not just me. A shame it was not at least addressed. One can only hope it will.

In the meantime, maybe someone who uses alt tab has a MacGyver fix that they can share
  5. Pickter New Member

I had to switch to windowed mode and hated it for maybe 1 day but it was necessary to much how i alt-tab between EQ, Itunes, Youtube, EQResource, etc. I would suggest just give it a shot it may grow on faster than think.
    Dre. likes this.
  6. Schadenfreude Augur

You can run in windowed mode and change the x and y offsets in an .ini file to make it appear fullscreen (no taskbar etc) at which point alt+tab is very quick.
    Dre., Corwyhn Lionheart and Nennius like this.
  7. Jack Elder

8. mercury890 Old Timer from the days of karana.

Don't think you can revert. I wish we could because a lot of problems would be fixed instantly by doing so....and there would be a lot of happy players if they did revert... DBG's quarterly earnings would be much higher than the hit that's coming...I've had the same problem not being able to alt tab between toons...all in full screen, flawlessly and instantly,,, pre patch....Now, I get my party wiped out once I get back to main because the game is so gimped from the patch. Can't play and won't pay for a broken game anymore,,, Maybe they will fix it... but from what I see in the forums that isn't going to happen. Sad
  9. mercury890 Old Timer from the days of karana.

That right there.... SMH....
  10. Yinla Ye Ol' Dragon

I reported switching to desktop issues on beta and got no response. They knew about these issues months ago.
    mercury890 and Nennius like this.
  11. Beardsy Elder

I've owned a Samsung CRG9 49" 5120x1440@120hz monitor since August of 2019 and ever since I got that monitor I've *NEVER* been able to save my UI in windowed mode, no matter what I try/do, it absolutely will not save. And yes, I've pretty much tried everything.

Forcing me to play in Fullscreen, which I personally prefer most of the time, but when I'd like to box on the same PC not having UI's save is just not worth the hassle.
  12. Bigstomp Augur

I always play in window mode but have also noticed a bit of a delay tabbing.
  13. Bilderov Augur

At what point will DBG realise that releasing changes that are either incomplete, or untested will begin to drive away their already dwindling player base?

I believe we are one of the more lenient communities. We now (with a laugh) accept that things will be released broken, or late, or sometimes not actually released at all.

I'm concerned that this trend is only ever going to increase rather than decrease. I just wonder at what point something happens that is so significant that it puts the game in a tail spin.
    mercury890 and Nennius like this.
  14. KushallaFV Playing EverQuest

Never.

It’s been this way the entire time. Their customer has reached a stabilized point, and there isn’t concern that someone would quit permanently.

Look at the OP, he’s content with sitting 5-6 seconds between switching EQ windows. These type of players will accept anything you throw at them.
  15. EagleTalon99 Elder

Use a gaming mouse and map ATL-ESC to swap windows. Zero delay once you get used to it. Takes a bit of practice though. I was doing 6 toons and that took me a few weeks to nail down the rhythm.
    mercury890 likes this.
  16. Yinla Ye Ol' Dragon

That is not correct, we are starting to see players cancelling accounts over the DX11 issues. They may reinstat accounts if Darkpaw fix the issues in a timely manner. But the longer these issues stick around the more likely it is those players will find other activities to fill their time and not come back. Spring/summer is also on its way plenty of things to do outside of EQ.

They need to sit back and smell the coffee, players have had enough.
    Captain Video and mercury890 like this.
  17. mercury890 Old Timer from the days of karana.

Spot on...
  18. BoldarBlood New Member

That doesn't really help playing on a laptop while travelling for work...
  19. KushallaFV Playing EverQuest

Doesn’t matter, this has been the perpetual state of EverQuest from lying about the existence of drops for zone keys to PoP launch, GoD disaster, WoW launch, introduction of Drakkin, etc. Game is always broken, and the audience that is left has shown they don’t really care. They just want to play EQ and hang out.
  20. KushallaFV Playing EverQuest

Then you play in Windowed mode, bring a second monitor, etc. I travel to edge of nowhere Texas and use a second monitor. It’s slim and light weight.