Good idea?

Discussion in 'The Veterans' Lounge' started by Veteran_BetaTester, Feb 10, 2024.

1. Veteran_BetaTester PIZZA!

VETO
    Nennius likes this.
  2. Veteran_BetaTester PIZZA!

I have to go away from the keyboard a lot and when I come back it seems I have to rebuff first thing.
  3. Waring_McMarrin Augur

I agree, that it would be a bad idea but that doesn't mean that it wouldn't be considered if the idea was to change any part of buffs counting down in combat zones.
  4. josh Augur

I disagree that its a bad idea and would prefer it if buffs worked that way. You don't get the benefits a class provides unless you are in a group/raid with that class, period, i would much prefer that. no buff timers, no recasting buffs, just always on buffs that are removed the second that class leaves your group, would still need timers for temp buffs but they would also drop the second the class leaves.

Are their downsides? sure, but there are downsides to having castable buffs with timers. not the least of which is making certain classes buff bots instead of actual useful classes you want in your group.
  5. fransisco Augur

while I understand how rebuffing is annoying, this ignores a unique thing about eq. Most other games have the same number of buffs as classes. Each class has one.
    EQ has about 9,000 buffs. Each with a different duration. Buff management IS a part of the game.
    Nennius likes this.
  6. Rijacki Just a rare RPer on FV and Oakwynd

If the timers make no difference because you are more in combat than out of combat, then why does it matter to you that they count down in combat zones even while you are not in combat? You're the one that wants the buffs to last for longer than they do currently and suggest buffs shouldn't count down while you are between fights meditating, afk, running a quest that just requires moving around a zone vs fighting things indicating you want permanent buffs while you're not in combat.
    Nennius likes this.
  7. -=Crow=- New Member

Wish I could "like" this ten times.
  8. CdeezNotes Augur

Actually, I'm the one one who wants buff timers standardized. Try to keep up.

I've already said ooc count down or not isn't a big deal to me. Having one buff last 70 minutes, another last 3 hours, another last 100 minutes is nothing more than an annoyance at this point. It doesn't serve any purpose.

And for what it's worth, using afk as a counter is kinda lame. Buffs are basically infinite for most afk people. Ever see POK, POT, GL, GGH? AFK people for days and their buffs remain forever. If you afk in combat zones you're technically breaking game rules.
  9. Rijacki Just a rare RPer on FV and Oakwynd

Being away from the keyboard for an extended time while you are gaining XP in a combat zone, i.e. using automation or pets/mercs to fight while you're not doing anything is breaking the rules. AFKing in a location away from combat, while remaining in the zone, is not the same thing and is not in any way "technically breaking the game rules". If you need to leave the keyboard because you need to take care of something in another room or while you wait for a long spawn timer and put yourself in a spot that is away from where you will get hit and have your pet/mercs engage on your behalf, is not and has never been against the rules. You could even stay in that spot for hours. It's only when you're getting XP while being away and/or automating your gameplay that is is against the rules in any zone.
  10. Dre. Altoholic

Imagine a game that rewards you through game activities rather than temporarily gaining immense power by staying logged in overnight.
    Nennius likes this.
  11. Stymie Pendragon

So they should just do this?
    IF (full screen=1){actually work.dagnabit!()}
    Dre. likes this.
  12. Crashdummy Elder

Personally I would prefer to have all mass buffs in POK and the Lobby be zone wide, instead of having to have a Pile area. Fading buffs for whatever reason, is part of the game - like meal breaks, snack breaks and bio breaks, and for the weak, sleep breaks.
  13. error Augur

A nice QoL change would be something like long duration buffs don't tick down as long as you're grouped with and in the same zone as the caster. Of course, you'd have to qualify "long duration". Generally you could classify that as any buff where the duration is longer than the recast I suppose. Probably some exceptions to that which would have to be manually addressed.
    Dre. likes this.
  14. Veteran_BetaTester PIZZA!

Not really.

When I play it is consistant for hours unless I'm going to go afk. I do have times of the day I will be in and out of the game.
    I don't agree that a buff not ticking down when out of combat is a permanent buff. You lose buffs when you die as well.
    Maybe we could settle on a slower timer countdown when out of combat for a period of time.

Off topic, I think they should eliminate Guild Lobby. Shadowrest (spelling) worked. Can put corpse summoners in that zone instead. A door to guild hall and small guild hall. magus.. and housing all can be put in pok. When doing a tradeskill and you see in ooc.. buffs inc in 30 seconds.. you have time to run to the buffing area in pok to get buffs. (That's doable) But to have buffs casted in Guild Lobby is basically an afk thing... you are begging more often for buffs and with this dx11 bs your zoning is not normal.. it is all a pain.
    Oh wait, I have to AFK!.. Have to GATE..
    Give me a break.

Some servers have buffs at Guild Lobby Ramp.. Some have them at Big Bank.. Some have them in Guild Lobby. It is a pain to run to Guild Lobby when your doing a tradeskill and need to get buffed up when you see in general chat.. buffs in 30 seconds! Guild Lobby is way to laggy for getting buffs , passing through, gettin corpses. So buff timer adjustments is a good idea imho.
    I am making classes just so I can get rebuffed ><.

And yah that Mc dude always rambles in my posts :p
  15. fransisco Augur

100% agree. The guild lobby is just a mazy lag fest I have to go to in order to get to guild hall. Everyone just goes afk blocking everything, and it serves no purpose. Most people there are afk for many days at a time. They aren't "there for a buff they need". They are just allergic to turning their computer off and saving power. Ending that zone would probably improve server performance.
    The worst part, most buffs don't actually matter that much. People say its for buffs, but outside of haste for melee, no other standard buff is hugely important.
    Veteran_BetaTester likes this.
  16. Nennius Curmudgeon

Make the Guild Lobby a mandatory PvP zone. Think of the fun.
    fransisco, Knifen and Yinla like this.
  17. uberkingkong Augur

OR

If you have those classes in your group, their buffs don't tick down.
    AA group persisted KEI buff.

Don't need to cast that buff again and again, persists.
    Everyone dies, don't have to rebuff, just continue you keep buffs. Those outside buffs of course you gotta get them back, and you can still buff outside your group too.
  18. Yinla Ye Ol' Dragon

Self buffs never fade! I'm always grouped with me!
    fransisco likes this.
  19. fransisco Augur

That is something I could get behind
    Nennius likes this.
  20. Sabby New Member

I just want buffs without ridiculously different timers, especially skin/symbol
    Nennius and Yinla like this.