Info Needed Universal Chat service issue

Discussion in 'Bug Reports' started by KakleTT, Jan 6, 2024.

1. KakleTT New Member

Multiple people including myself are experiencing an error that states "The Universal Chat service is temporarily unavailable. You will automatically reconnect to it when it becomes available. Please wait to send your chat request until then". It has been happening off and on the past few days and effects joining custom channels, parcel, no chat channels (general/zone/class). Is it server related? Game related? Or something on my end I can do to fix it? Very annoying. I am on The Rathe if that matters.
    Kikinu, Ssdar, Covennx and 33 others like this.
  2. Fanra https://everquest.fanra.info

This has been happening since the UCS was introduced. It's been many years and the fix seems elusive for SOE/Daybreak/Darkpaw.
    Kikinu, Rancid, Nennius and 2 others like this.
  3. Ozadar Elder

Been happening for years.

Ozadar of Zek
    Ascending Dawn
    Kikinu and Ftalten like this.
  4. KakleTT New Member

Bump: Devs, any insight on this? It happens every time I log on now and on multiple accounts. A relog temp fixes but then shortly after it stops working again... Effects Parcel (mail), friends list, no general chat or use custom chat channels (for raids and etc.), and etc...kind of effecting the game experience..
    Kikinu, Celephane, Rexa and 2 others like this.
  5. newc322 Lorekeeper

Ive been having the same issue for almost 2 weeks now. log in, chats can be joined, then they just stop working shortly after. i dont always receive the "the universal chat service is temporarily unavailable. You will automatically reconnect to it when it becomes available." And then you never get reconnected. Happens on all 3 accounts I'm playing, not specific to a character. I hoped the patch this week would've repaired this but, you know of course not. More worried about messing up everyones filters, gamma/enhance vision and whatever else is probably broken. I don't understand. they know this stuff is broken or not working properly and it just gets ignored like nothings wrong. Although, TBH, its nice not having to see Collesette and their 500 toons that DPG will do nothing about, constantly paragraph spamming in gen chat.
  6. newc322 Lorekeeper

this also makes your friends list not work too which is super annoying.
  7. newc322 Lorekeeper

seems worse now over the weekend, i log in and within seconds channels stop working, however, it seems even though sometimes i cannot see if i type something and send it, sometimes others can still see if i see something
    Ftalten likes this.
  8. Urturn New Member

Now it's not even giving you the red warning to let you know they are down.
    Kikinu, newc322 and Ftalten like this.
  9. KakleTT New Member

Dev's is this something that is actively being address? It has gotten horrible and has become an every day issue logging on.
    Kikinu, Celephane, Rexa and 2 others like this.
  10. newc322 Lorekeeper

yes, most of the time you dont get the message they just flat out dont work. but weird that sometimes friends list works but the chat channels do not.
  11. Ftalten New Member

I am having the same issue described above. Never happened until mid January.

I contacted support and followed their suggestions (deleting files including specific exe, ini and dll) and none of which fixed my problem.

Upon letting them know that did not work they told me come here and create a bug report or add on to one that may already exist. That is what I am doing! If there is another thread to post on, please direct me to it.

I would love to know if they are actively looking at the issue.
    Kikinu and newc322 like this.
  12. Paladin Augur

The issues I see are as follows...

Server Channels are supposed to max at 400. On my server the general Channel is all most always full and a General1 Channel (I have even seen a General2 channel) is often in play. However, The base channel, General, somehow, seems to exceed 400 members on a regular basis. I can't help but wonder if this is a contributor to channel issues.

When it comes to cross-server channels, particularly with one I created, my main Character, that created the channel can not get in the channel! I log into another toon and get in the channel and it lists my main as in the channel, but it isn't (since the Character is camped out).

After a patch or server reset, this issue often seems resolve... but it isn't long before it resurfaces every time.

Looks to me like my main Character is not being properly removed from the channel when camped, or the bug is somehow related to my Character as the channel creator.
    Ftalten likes this.
  13. CatsPaws No response to your post cause your on ignore

Just like yesterday on FV general chat was showing 680 some members but did not put me in it when I logged in.

On Tunare general was also showing over 634 in it.

Something going haywire with chat channels for sure

While I have noticed that Tunare will always spawn a general 2 - I also notice that FV never spawns a general 2.
    newc322 and Ftalten like this.
  14. Ftalten New Member

This issue for me is just not with General, but with all my channels, even a few with less than 10 people in it.
    Kikinu, newc322 and Urturn like this.
  15. Conq Augur

Ft, perhaps you, specifically were blocked?
    Conq
    Ftalten likes this.
  16. newc322 Lorekeeper

I have never heard of someone being blocked. I do not think thats a thing. Other people are having the same issue, myself for one. Log in and shows channels, within minutes they just no longer work, as well as my friends list. Not even getting the message about universal chat being unavailable. and now like mentioned above, gen chats are not spawning overflows and showing anywhere from 400-650 people with some being able to join and some not. This has been on going issue for over 3 weeks now and is an absolute disgrace that it has not been acknowledged by the devs. Hell they MOVED a post about it from one section of the forums to the bug reports AFTER i made a bug report post and still nothing.
  17. Ftalten New Member

You must have me confused with another Ftalten

FT
    Kikinu likes this.
  18. Soulbanshee Augur

UCS is platform services, not devs.
    Kikinu, Ftalten and Nennius like this.
  19. Xianzu_Monk_Tunare Augur

The rooms will show the total with you (and others) trying to get into the channel, when you try to join and fail. The numbers higher than 400 are including those trying to join at that specific point in time and failing.
    Ftalten likes this.
  20. JohnnyRedLight New Member

Going on a week for me now. All Accounts. Both my desktop and Laptop. Sometimes reconnects after zoning. Reconnects 100% if I relog... but only last between 5 and 10 minutes.
    Kikinu, newc322 and Ftalten like this.