Fixed DirectX 11 : the stuttering makes the game unplayable

Discussion in 'Bug Reports' started by Feochadan the Savior, Jan 17, 2024.

1. Myysterio Lorekeeper

so weird, I have 13900 and a 4070ti and my stuff runs smoooooooove
    Hobs likes this.
  2. Shea Lorekeeper

stutter, screen tearing, not sure what to call it but it seems to be a bit worse after the hotfix than it was before (was pretty bad before though). Full screen mode. Had to re-setup my UI a few weeks ago to be able to play in windowed mode as much as that inhales.

intel i5-4590T CPU
    8gb ram
    Integrated Intel HD 4600 gpu

Had no issues at all before the dx11 patch.
    Andarriel likes this.
  3. Cairbrae Developer

If you made a copy of Resources\Memory.ini and you added MemoryIni to your eqclient.ini file, then your changes should persist through an update. Memory.ini contains basic instructions for the intended procedure:
    Code:
    # If you want to mess with MemoryMode.ini settings.
    # Don't change it directly (it'll just get patched over).
    # Make a copy of it somewhere and add an entry to your eqclient.ini [defaults] section that points to the new file:
    #
    # [defaults]
    # MemoryIni=c:\junk\MyModifiedMemory.ini

Jedis likes this.
  4. Lodestar The Undefeated

My very quick assessment of the latest hotfix is that it decreased FPS further than it already was. I'm assuming whatever was done to fix kaleidoscoping textures had an impact on FPS as well.

There's really no reason that even a lag pile on Bristlebane (POK) should be running at 11FPS on an overclocked RTX 4090.
  5. Velisaris_MS Augur

It didn't even fix that much. I was running through PoK after patching and saw a couple of "colorful explosions" as I like to call them.
  6. Windance Augur

Post Feb 1st patch:

I didn't notice any improvements in lag on my I7-6700k @ 4Ghz with Nvidia 1070.

Steps:
    - Deleted my eqclient.ini
    - Launchpad -> advanced tools -> game configuration :
    --- All models
    --- No sound, No Social Animations, No Dynamic Lighting, Yes Mip Mapping, Yes Texture Caching, No Texture Compression.

This resulted in stuttering after zoning, super lag when moving around the pok small bank and guild lobby lag piles.

Ended up reapplying the various "fixes" in this thread: edit eqclient.ini to ...
    - Setup new memory.ini with very low "per frame" loads.
    - Disable luclin textures.
    - In game options -> display -> New armor off , LOD Bias very low, disable new UI engine, disable radial flora , drag shadow clip to zero.
  7. Windance Augur

I did some really aggressive mods and I can now walk around the guild lobby lag piles with no lag.
    The side effect is ... really low model/texture quality.

eqclient.ini

Copy Resources\Memory.ini to new file Memory512.ini

Resources\Memory512.ini
  8. Leebra New Member

I had copied memory.ini and changed the name to Memory512.ini, but I saved it in the same place as memory.ini.

I tried to follow exactly as was posted and didn't notice the comment at the top of the memory.ini when editing it.

At the top of Memory.ini when editing it:
    If you want to mess with MemoryMode.ini settings.
    # Don't change it directly (it'll just get patched over).
    # Make a copy of it somewhere and add an entry to your eqclient.ini [defaults] section that points to the new file:

I now moved it to just the Daybreak folder where EQ1 and EQ2 are on the same hard drive. I am going to reapply the changes again and let's see if it helps with the stuttering.

Thank you CAIRBRAE for taking the time to post in the forums with possible work arounds. I genuinely appreciate it. I do not mind attempting to mess around with config files and so many games fall short in this area.

Also thank you to LODESTAR for going deep and hard on working this issue on his Nasa pc and taking the time to post it for the rest of us to benefit from.

By the way, I had promised to re-sub on a few accounts when DX11 was launched as a thank you for modernizing the game. I did re-sub on (2) accounts so far. Waited for a year for the implementation and finally it is here. We just have to work through the bugs.
    Jedis likes this.
  9. Peter_The_great Elder

But you are not gonna give us one each of your PC?

Any news or something about this flaw?
  10. aiha Saryrn [Bertox]

Just kicking another data point in here:

Ryzen 7600x + B650 (AGESA 1.0.9.0)
    iGPU disabled via BIOS
    4080 (546.33)
    Win10 (22H2 19045.3930)
    Windowed (2560x1420 custom resolution)

I don't group/raid, only rarely 2box, usually have 3 clients running, and play mostly instanced or empty zones, so can't really comment on most of the stutter issues. I have noticed that texture/mesh loading stutter is more pronounced (previously I would see a slight, maybe 50ms stutter when a drakkin zoned into an empty instance, now it's more like 500ms).

I'm also single thread CPU limited in the lobby: staring at lag pile (~50fps w/ classic models). If I delete my eqclient.ini and let it create a default one, the same scenario results in ~15fps w/ luclin models). The hub of Laurions Song, don't remember name, at zone in looking towards the Inn, also results in single thread CPU bottleneck of 40-60fps depending on how many people in zone.

Overall I would guesstimate my FPS has been halved by the switch to DX11. On the upside, my GPU now only uses 15-30w for two or three EQ clients instead of ~50w (mainly due to lack of forced MSAA). Conversely, the CPU is being hammered by empty zones (Stratos staring into the empty void from an island is still CPU limited to ~70fps).

Another thing I've noticed playing in third person (3 view changes from default 1st person) is the camera movement 'granularity' is very low.. like I move my mouse 1 pixel and the view 'ticks' a few degrees in that direction. Like the mouse sensor is very low DPI, except it only happens in that camera view.

Finally I would request/hope for some sort of anti-aliasing implementation, or if anyone knows how to force it via NVPI or something that would be amazing. Thanks!
    mercury890 likes this.
  11. aiha Saryrn [Bertox]

I'm afraid any troubleshooting I try will just make it worse (it's not unbearable at the moment).. so the only things I've tried are:

Clean eqclient.ini (made it worse due to luclin models)
    NVPI/EQgame.exe: REBAR on (no effect)
    Fullscreen (same performance, weird gamma)
    Mipmapping off (same performance, ugly textures @ angles like filtering was off or something)
    NVCPL/EQgame.exe: Prefer Max Perfomance (no effect)
  12. Lodestar The Undefeated

Response from dev(s) currently is that DX11 in EQ doesn't support overriding of anti-aliasing like was previously working under DX9. Hopefully that changes.
  13. CatsPaws No response to your post cause your on ignore

You are right with the more in depth troubleshooting everyone is saying is the fix. Even if there are 4 different ones!

Not only will it make it worse but then you will be lost with remembering all the changes you made and will have a harder time getting back to where you started. I gave up after most of it made no difference anyway.
    mercury890 and DJDan like this.
  14. Velisaris_MS Augur

It's amazing that the best solutions they can come up with for problems that should never have been pushed live in the first place is to tell players to go in an hack their own game files and hope for the best.

That's beyond embarrassing for a game company.
    DJDan, Fidden, TB_AB and 3 others like this.
  15. mercury890 Old Timer from the days of karana.

Isn't the disrespect for we longtime veterans sickening? They should have left it ALONE when the going was good.... Greed will and is killing this game,,, and REVERTING is the only way the current regime will save face and survive if not the game. NO this isn't WoW,,,and we dont want it to be...

I am getting a feeling one hand isn't talking to another within DayBreak and Darkpaw! Im sending out massive emails to the Bosses! Enough is enough,,,,
  16. mercury890 Old Timer from the days of karana.

Thanks for posting this,, not that it matters to anyone that can make a difference,,.but a lot of us feel the same way,
    A lot of us are NOT tech savvy and I can attest to what you are saying... Soon, very soon there will be only tech savvy peeps playing what's left of the game or what they can make of it......Remember, the EQ game engine has reached it's end game,,,,Maxed out,,,STOP F(*&)ng with it,,,REVERT! You can't put a circle in a square....and DP. Bosses will wonder why the majority of their players aren't full access anymore... or just left... The game is broken and isn't fun anymore....Once Ji Ham sees the loss in quarterly earnings maybe a REVERT will occure...
  17. mercury890 Old Timer from the days of karana.

Yea they did and need to revert to save face ,, or more importantly retain paying members..
  18. Scila Augur

Well ... the blocky yucky mess isn't fixed. Looks like mage pet fire weapons this time causing the fun effect.
  19. Jedis Arch Mage

No one is reverting anything. If it was on the table, it would have been immediately afterward, which it wasn't.

If anything, more people would be brought in to rally around and work on the DX11 stuff. Which may already be happening now. I can say that after following the advice in the troubleshooting thread, all of my computers are working the same, if not even a little better, than they were before using DX9.

It's already been said they will be pushing new memory.ini defaults out at some point to hopefully address the issue for less tech savvy folks. That will take a bit of trial and error and research to get right. They have already done one out of band client patch that fixed the remaining issues for most people with the Shader 2.0 issue. I would expect to see more going forward.
    Randel Flag likes this.
  20. newc322 Lorekeeper

THIS SHOULD HAVE ALREADY BEEN DONE. THEY KNEW THIS WOULD ROYALLY BONE PEOPLE AND THEY STILL PUSHED IT OUT REGARDLESS. why people continue to defend these devs constantly doing crap like this and breaking things in game that go weeks or months without being addressed, i just cant understand for the life of me.
    mercury890 and TB_AB like this.