Fixed DirectX 11 : the stuttering makes the game unplayable

Discussion in 'Bug Reports' started by Feochadan the Savior, Jan 17, 2024.

1. Windance Augur

What I find most interesting about these memory workarounds is the fact that the original values where so high compared to the "10" or "1" XXX_PerFrame.

To me that means the old implementation either wasn't using using/respecting the settings, or the DX11 implementation exposed a major bottleneck/wait state. Or maybe they are using a translation layer to convert the DX9 to DX11 calls and it has some bottlenecks.
    kevvlar and Scila like this.
  2. Peter_The_great Elder

Zone Veksar is extremely laggy, wow.. FPS down t to 1-2 frames.. C'mon devs.. get some coffee and get to it!
    mercury890 and kevvlar like this.
  3. Scila Augur

Mine are also nvidia cards ... while I don't hitch as much on live and not at all on test with the current patch in known problem spots, now I'm wondering if there is some kind of a conflict between nvidia, dx12, and the patch. Most modern machines are running dx12, some of the older ones may be on dx11 and I "think" I saw a post somewhere someone removed dx12 because of problems they were having. I could have dreamt that tho.
    mercury890 likes this.
  4. Windance Augur

You can't "remove" DX12.

Direct X is an API or Application Programmers Interface that provides a set of instructions for "how to" draw things. The application programmer ( EQ Dev ) writes code to open a graphics window, define some polygons, and apply some textures to them.

The video graphics manufacturers have to implement the various Direct X API calls and translate them into code their graphics cards understand.

Why move from DX9 to DX11 or D12 ?

The GPU's themselves have evolved over time and now do things differently then 15 years ago when DX9 was written. In theory the new DX versions are better matched to the newer hardware.
  5. Umidar New Member

Curiously, the stuttering issue looks similar to the issue fixed by this dev method:
    Scila likes this.
  6. Amex111 Journeyman

FWIW, turning off my nvidia 4060 , and using my AMD built in GPU, stopped all my freezing for multiple seconds problems. Kind of crazy considering its a newer CPU and GPU, yet causes problems in EQ. This lines up with the video Umidar posted, above.
  7. Andarriel Everquest player since 2000

Was running through pok just now started stutterening then poof eq quit out of the blue. No error message no nothing. I swear in the past a popup box would come up to see if i wanted to send the error when this happened in the past.
    kevvlar likes this.
  8. Windance Augur

That points to a problem with Nvidia's implementation of some DX11 feature they are using.
  9. kevvlar New Member

Very good post and thank you for doing so! ... My question is why did we loose the basic functionality to tab to desktop? In example: Eq in Full screen(boxing and or not at times) either way...I hit > windows key(task bar comes up) and select which box toon tab or if not boxing, click on the browser tab anymore? it is incredibly frustrating to loose this funtionality. Pre patch not a problem seamless and fast... now it just resets the current window..
    Derek likes this.
  10. Windance Augur

While its not going to be quite the same, play in "windowed" mode and resize your window so it takes up just less than the full screen.
    kevvlar likes this.
  11. kevvlar New Member

Thank you for the suggestion. I'm still trying to understand what exactly is preventing us from being able to tab out.. I guess reason it out as to why...
  12. Veteran_BetaTester PIZZA!

13. Mokara New Member

Here is a suggestion: Don't push patches that break the game to live. Fix the issues first, then push it.

I get that moving to a later dx version is necessary eventually, but don't you think it needs to actually work first before releasing your efforts?
  14. strongbus Augur

Question is on what side are the issues on? are the issues on their end(ie the servers) or on the users end. Not everyone is having the issues. For example both me and my wife have bout 3 year old systems. We have no issues with all this aside form shaky loading screens when zoning or loading in toons.

I agree anything that is on their end they should have fix before pushing it. But they can only do so much to help for issues on users end.
  15. Lodestar The Undefeated

Just because you aren't able to discern hitching at 150fps/150hz; an FPS decrease vs. DX9 in dropping from 90fps to 70fps; or massive raid lag hitching because you don't raid, doesn't mean you aren't theoretically able to encounter the same tangible issues others are indeed experiencing.

Not trying to be smart here, but this is the reality of the situation for many people reporting "they don't have issues". It's just not an accurate assessment. There are multiple known issues in the implementation of DX11 that need to be solved whether one person thinks they are experiencing the issues or not.
    kevvlar likes this.
  16. strongbus Augur

I raid. only raids i seen lag in so far was the mushroom raid in NOS. had no real lag issue in LS at all.
  17. Lodestar The Undefeated

I didn't have raid lag either (extreme hitching/FPS impacts) until this most recent week on Kanghammer. It's inconsistent, and materializes sometimes and other times it doesn't. Sometimes it impacts particular people and not others, inconsistently week-by-week. DX11 exacerbates the lag/hitching whenever it does materialize (raids in this particular reference).

Those not seeing "any issues ever" are simply not able to discern one of the aforementioned issues of FPS hitching, FPS impact, raid lag, etc. due to not acquiring a large enough sample of instances and time (pertaining to raids), or due to lack of having sufficient sensory capabilities to identify the visual impacts. Not everyone can see the difference in 80fps+70hz and 60fps+60hz, or 50ms hitches every 6 seconds at 100fps.
    TB_AB likes this.
  18. Selbedo New Member

Was in bloodfalls last night for our first primal attempt, raid was smooth whilst learning the strat so it was looking hopeful. Second attempt in the same instance it then got really laggy on 1 of my toons, impossible to do much so I gated him out. Trying to keep people interested here but our hands are tied when the raids are impossible to play...
    Windance likes this.
  19. Peter_The_great Elder

But I got an RX 7900XT, Everquest still stutters like crazy.

My OP, its the game engine, sadly that's all i know.. hehe, I'm no expert.. but when a helicopter crashes into the tree, I know the Pilot did something extremely wrong.

PS: Don't let this thread die, devs must fix this ASAP.
    kevvlar and DJDan like this.
  20. Leebra New Member

The changes recommended by the Dev and Lodestar fixed 90% of my stutter (/hidecorpse all causes a half second freeze when there are corpses).

Then I logged out and back in for the client update. All the changes were reverted.

I logged in and the stutter was even worse then before. I re-did the changes recommended by the Dev and Lodestar and it's still stuttering bad. I play windowed mode about 1/2 my 3840X2160 screen set to 60hz because it helps with /follow. Set to 120hz causes alot more issues with /follow.

System specs:
    Windows 10 22H2
    Motherboard AMD MSI X570 Unify
    CPU AMD 5900X
    GPU Nvidia PNY 3090 XLR8
    RAM DDR4 128Gb 3600 cl18 (4X32gb)
    PSU 1600Watt Super Flower Titanium (they make many of EVGA's PSUs)
    OS Drive SSD Samsung 860 1TB (Everquest is on this drive)
    Game Drive SSD m.2 Samsung 860 2TB
    Game Drive NVME m.2 Samsung 990 Pro 2TB
    Backup Drive Seagate 10TB

Monitors:
    LG 55C1 using HDMI 4k 120hz HDTV (this is set to primary and is my gaming screen)
    LG 32" using Display port Costco Special 4k 60hz

Any other recommendations to fix the new stutter that was added?
    kevvlar likes this.