To make Shields & Shield Augmentations more interesting

Discussion in 'The Veterans' Lounge' started by Koveras, Jan 25, 2024.

1. Koveras Elder

An idea that I had in mind for quite awhile and notice that I felt its something that is missing throughout EverQuest over the years.

While I have noticed for quite awhile since the Rain of Fear Expansion, the only Shield called Xorlex's Towering Prosperity was only able to proc self heals for those who can Bash, since then more Shields where only able to proc self heals for those who can only Bash.

Then comes Plane of War, where we see Soul of The Grandmaster, the only Shield Augmentation that allows those who Bash a lifetap proc, it still remains the only Shield-Only Augmentation to have any proc for the matter.

What really needs to happen at some point is this: Shields that don't have any procs starting from The Burning Lands need to, Casters and Priests for example need a Shield-Only proc that functions similar to Obulus Sympathy which comes from the Tome of Obulus upon equipping it

The Shields that can be equipped by Tanks and damage dealers alike (save for Berserkers since they can't equip said Shields) need to have either calming effects or damage effect that has a chance to proc whenever they block with said Shields.

Then Tanks since they can Bash, the only thing I can suggest here besides a chance to proc heals while bashing is also a chance to proc damage while bashing, we haven't seen another Shield capable of procing damage while Bashing since Burnished Wurmscale Aegis (if we want class-specific Shield Procs, I wouldn't mind Paladins being able to Bash Hand of Holy Wrath with Shields should they be allowed that option)

Then comes Shield-Only Augmentations, because Soul of The Grandmaster remains the only Shield-Only Augmentation to date that allows you to proc while having it on a Shield, I request that other Shield-Only Augmentations starting from The Burning Lands Expansion be allowed the Convert Option & Claim Reward to have a Shield-Only proc effect of the Player's Choice upon completing the Challenger of (Insert Expansion Name here).
    I figured I bring this up now over later to see the reactions and perhaps further ideas

Examples of the Shield-Only Augmentation Proc Effects that we should be having as follows: Burst of Flames, Burst of Ice, Hand of Holy Wrath, Pulse Effects (Pulse of Corruption, Disease, Fire, Magic, Poison, Sickness & Venom) Spike of Anger, Spike of Corruption, Spike of Magic and all their Sympathetic counterparts.

I figured I should bring this up to see the reaction of others and see further ideas revolving around this that could be brought up in the future.
  2. Yinla Ye Ol' Dragon

They have cut back on procs, I very much doubt they want to add more.
    Andarriel and FYAD like this.
  3. fransisco Augur

It would be great if caster shields had a proc. Gear is soo very boring for casters.

If to many procs are an issue, increase item proc amounts and stop all the type 18s.
    NatazzEvoli likes this.
  4. Eaedyilye More stonehive bixies.

5. Silvena *poke*

6. Soulbanshee Augur

Not really comparable, its an anniversary zone so it's going to have unique items that don't fit into normal itemization.
  7. Szilent Augur

they haven't. but they should.
  8. Bigstomp Augur

The bash proc augs have always been pretty much useless for wars (no real heal focus to make them matter). I can't speak for knights but I assume they outgrew the procs when they leveled up and got new shields and didn't care about that proc.
  9. Yinla Ye Ol' Dragon

They no longer twincast from what I remember. I know they did something to mess with procs a little while back.
  10. kyong Augur

If your a class without a skill attack (like backstab, frenzy, flying kick, kick) then you can illusion to a large race like barbarian and inside your skills you will see "slam". Even thou it's only 1 skill point, if you put soul of the grandmaster into your shield, it will proc every time or almost every time.... :D
    Dre. likes this.
  11. Koveras Elder

For the Knights, it actually did better for them, I would be surprised if another hardcore zone like Plane of War was brought up in the future where it also included a Shield-Only Augmentation with far better stats that also included the exact same proc effect...

Another crazy thing since the days when The Legend of Norrath game was around, we also saw Vermilion Dragon Ornaments as well as their Ornamentation counterparts. In the case of the Ornaments of said line, they have a Shield Ornament that dose proc Pulse of Fire VI, only procs when bashing, I'm rather surprised they never brought up a Sympathetic version of that...

Its amazes me to this very day that's the only thing that allows you to proc Obulus Sympathy while equipping it on secondary. Yes, you can even Bash someone with the Tome of Obulus.

I also find this surprising that Casters & Priests never got anymore Shields since the Empires of Kunark Expansion that are capable of doing Sympathetic Reassuring Strike which brings up the big-question on why they haven't since...

One thing's for certain, Shields and Shield Augmentations need to be more interesting hence the name of the thread so they can have proc effects again, not just for stats for hard cap Armor Class.
    Wulfhere and fransisco like this.
  12. Koveras Elder

Considering the fact the procs on shields aren't working as intended for quite awhile, should no other solution come up, I do have one idea to fix this.

Shield Affinity AA Ability: This passive ability allows your shield's magical effects will trigger while blocking with a shield by 10%. For those with the Bash combat ability, said ability will trigger while using the Bash ability with a shield by 10% and for those who can cast spells along using songs, this will trigger the Shield's Sympathetic effects (if any) by 10% as well.

Requirements: Level: 100, Shield Block at Level 1.

Additional ranks can increase the chance for a shield and shield-only augmentations to proc effects (Weapon Affinity's max rank is 15/15 so if Shield Affinity happens, it should be similar), I figured I would also bring this up in case an update comes through that involves adding procs on other shields as well as shield-only augmentations in the future.
  13. Svann2 The Magnificent

Boots should get a proc too!
    Koveras likes this.
  14. fransisco Augur

Shileds don't need a proc, they could also have a static focus/ability. Melee ones could be like the zek augs and have an effect to increase accuracy, reduce damage taken by 1% or such.
    Caster ones could have a stackable dmg increase, reduce mana spent, or other things that don't work on a proc basis. Things to make using a shield interesting - vs the binary of 2h always best
  15. Wulfhere Augur

I love my shield procs for passive healing.I also have the LoN shield ornaments that proc some damage and those were better than Furious Bash procs back in the day.
    Koveras likes this.
  16. Kaenneth [You require Gold access to view this title]

Imagine if Rocketeer boots only worked by proclng from kicks...
    Svann2 and Koveras like this.
  17. yepmetoo Abazzagorath

Wulfhere likes this.
  18. JetZeppelin2h Augur

Procs I think have caused issues over the years so maybe add clicky buffs / nukes to them. Remember back in the day we had drops that had click abilities that were useful? Give a caster shield a 5 min recast clicky that buffs their nukes for 1 min or something like that.
  19. fransisco Augur

Clicky buffs isn't a good solution, because players will click them bag them for a 2h. You need a reason to keep the shield equiped. Thus a worn effect would be better.
    Wulfhere likes this.
  20. Wulfhere Augur

Shields are mostly for AC stat. Their AC stats should be a defining quality and they're not even keeping pace with armor upgrades, especially outside of tank/bard shields.

I'd be nice if the Heroic Strength contribution to shield AC was worth chasing too. Double the return ratio so that 4000 HStr adds 50% to shield AC instead of a measly 25% (+274 AC).