Fixed DirectX 11 : the stuttering makes the game unplayable

Discussion in 'Bug Reports' started by Feochadan the Savior, Jan 17, 2024.

1. Bernel Augur

While it's not necessarily unreasonable to expect players to fiddle with settings, it's not a good business decision. Not everyone is going to want to or be able to do the graphics debugging necessary to get their systems working. EQ is just a game. People play it for entertainment. If it becomes too much work to play EQ, some players will turn to something else for their entertainment needs, and they may stick with that something else going forward rather than come back to EQ.
    Silvena and Fanra like this.
  2. Moege Augur

They don't get paid for overtime to get things working again.
  3. Xianzu_Monk_Tunare Augur

People who actually have played EQ for any period of time know that 99.999% of the player base do not go to the forums or honestly anywhere but to ask in game for solutions. If it is really bad they might petition, that's it. They don't come to the fourms and ask, they honestly go elsewhere to even complain about stuff because they want to complain not to fix the problem. Also, most people do not go to the bug reports to complain about changes. There are numerous posts in non-specific threads. The filters have far more people complaing about them in game than the glitches and issues with DX11 change.

I never thought I would see someone try and bring up Pro Gaming in connection with EQ in this day and age. That was hilarious. When was the last time someone's guild actually mattered about their knowledge? Do you have some study that says that your guild enables you to discern 165Hz with a 165 FPS mismatch as well as magically grants you the ability to screen tearing, hitching, and stuttering?

I didn't realize that I was interviewing for a new job here and that I supposed to be bringing my resume. You've just demonstrated that you just need to know buzzwords to say. So why am I supposed to be bringing a resume and a references to a forum for a game?

Feel free to post your CV, degrees, and all life experiences ever, if you feel so inclined though, maybe someone is hiring.
  4. Sebilislurker New Member

The game is barely playable at 10-20 FPS in crowded zones for many players right now. There are over a dozen reports in this thread alone of stuttering, FPS loss, and other problems. These are wide spread issues impacting players who own modern PCs (especially 3000/4000 GPU cards), and the amount of reporting speaks for itself.

This isn't a "small group" or isolated bug: it's a major bug impacting a large number of players. D11 wash pushed to Live without proper testing and Q/A, and has ruined the gameplay experience of many. I've already cancelled two subs and will probably cancel my main account sub next month unless performance dramatically improves.
    Sunawar and TB_AB like this.
  5. Lodestar The Undefeated

Attempting to substantiate only your argument relating to chat filter issues being higher volume on an empirically definable platform with quantifiable sample sizes (the forums), while rejecting DirectX11 issues based on non-responses from samples of a non-quantifiable platform (in-game) makes for really bad science. I listed actual post counts of both on the only controlled environment available, yet you attempted to compare entirely different and unrelated populations.

You sir, have walked yourself out of your own argument. Everyone can get back to providing feedback that's actually productive and evidence driven.
    Sunawar, DJDan and TB_AB like this.
  6. Svann2 The Magnificent

Also, if there are too many suggestions on what "might work for some people" then some of those suggestions will likely make things worse.
  7. Fluid Augur

We only have our personal experience to go by. For me the big thing is 2 out of 4 computers don't work. I get "So what's your problem? You can still play!" Well, yeah but I have 3 accounts and like to box.

The suggestions offered so far don't work. I mean the oldest-weakest computer that IS NOT up to date runs fine. I won't be updating it either since the two that don't work are completely up to date following instructions given in the forum. If it ain't broke, don't fix it.

Yes, the game looks nice and runs well outside of crowds. I'd just like it to
    1) Work at all on the two computers it doesn't
    2) Instructions that work getting the game working vs wasting my time
    3) Lag in crowds problems to go away
    1&2 are kind of important to me. I can live w/o 3 since I don't raid much.

1&2 Then it's nothing to talk about but pretty game that works well. Until then...

From the people I see congregating in PoK, looks like 25-50% fewer. I would have done some counts before the patch but I didn't anticipate the patch going this far south.
  8. Fluid Augur

OK, I sort of got it working. Not my video of course but Call of Duty types made one

It is one of those annoying download pages that tries to stick everything from adds to spyware on your computer. BE CAREFUL! Only click the right one.
    https://www.mediafire.com/file/82nvadx153mep5j/dxcpl.exe
    Execute it from downloads on Chrome. It comes up with a menu like in the video. Choose "Edit List" and search for your game directory. I only added eggame.exe to the list/apply. It has the whole path on my computer.
    Getting back to the main menu, I chose DX 11_0 for the version and very important, choose Warp!

I'm not sure if it works with other settings like adding Launchpad.exe or using DX 11_1. Game time is 2AM and it is pretty dark. Didn't mess with that but lag isn't to bad.
  9. Svann2 The Magnificent

not sus at all!
    /s
  10. Mikana Augur

Arrant nonsense.

We had to abandon raiding last night because it was basically unplayable.

Many players are not technically minded, so aren't comfortable delving into ini files, and there is absolutely no reason they should be expected to.
    The simple fact is that EQ was running fine before the patch, and borked following it.
    Silvena, CatsPaws and DJDan like this.
  11. Fluid Augur

This is a sucky answer, I know it.

I've got all 4 of my computers working with EQ now. What I've noticed is a correlation between installed RAM and lag. #2 performance computer from benchmark tests has the lowest RAM and it slow even running a single instance. Can you share how much RAM your computer has and the number of EQ instances you are running?

I'm guessing from my bottom end computer's specs, is now 8 gigs min RAM for a single instance. It used to be 4 gigs with +2 gigs for every EQ instance for most stuff short of raiding. Probably 8 gigs +4 gigs<?> NOW for instance so it would run something like [1, 2, 3, ...] =>[8, 12, 16, ...].

I've run into similar problems with Windows before and just as much push back. At one time MS was caching USB data such that it would take up most of your free RAM, all so they could win benchmarks on USB speed I imagine. Probably something similar here i.e. caching so much graphic data to speed up DX, nothing left for anything else.
  12. Lodestar The Undefeated

I'm going to go ahead and post this here for the devs in case they are reading, I haven't had time to begin testing this but will be eventually (from other third party sources I'm working with): This could very well be a GPU memory budgeting issue.

This was a significant issue in other games like the Diablo series where the developer did not set proper budget values for the game to load proper amounts into memory. Daybreak has to indicate how much GPU memory is desired per client, so it can keep enough resources on the GPU side without having to keep using much slower CPU-supported memory. EQ could have too low of a budget to keep things in GPU memory and does extra texture loading from CPU to GPU memory, etc.

Question to the devs: You updated DX11, but did you also update your GPU memory budgeting that Everquest calls upon through the operating system?
    TB_AB likes this.
  13. Hobie Lorekeeper

Running an "approved" video card (via the daybreak games system req listed in the direct x11 player support thread). Windows 10, Raedon 380 video card, over 4 gig ram, and I get from launchpad to the critical failure direct x 11 failure gpu (0) error. I have a video card that says it's supported by the devs, I have enough ram, I've doubled my hard drive space, and I can't figure out why it's not working. If you have any crumbs of wisdom, I'm all ears. (yet I can play it on the craptastic 10 year old laptop--barely).
  14. Hobie Lorekeeper

You and I are in the same boat. I easily have the requirements needed plus a video card that DAYBREAK says is supported, and running direct x 12. I still get the exact same response as you do, critical error. I really hope that the Devs take a look at this issue as a perfectly good machine that equals or exceeds their specs isn't playing the game. Already $165 bucks in the hole for a new Hard drive. Still getting the critical error.
  15. mercury890 Old Timer from the days of karana.

Its a can of worms for sure
    Xyza likes this.
  16. mercury890 Old Timer from the days of karana.

Been getting lag spikes since patch. Pre patch been flawless to include tabbing between toons and or to desktop to research quests etc....REVERT!
    DJDan likes this.
  17. mercury890 Old Timer from the days of karana.

Lag spikes? I agree and would highly suggest they stop the bleeding and REVERT....
  18. Fluid Augur

The link I posted above, yet again here, worked for me.
    https://www.mediafire.com/file/82nvadx153mep5j/dxcpl.exe

*BUT* I certainly understand if nobody wants to use that particular web site and learn how to use the DXcpl program. I mean shaky site, odd software for something DB should be fixing or as some people have said, not implemented in the first place.

So far so good. No warnings from my antivirus software but Chrome complains it isn't a trusted site.
  19. Lodestar The Undefeated

What are you suggesting the dxcpl.exe application is useful for? Is it useful to overcome the error that stops one from getting into Everquest to begin with; or does it overcome FPS issues; hitching issues; etc?
  20. Progress Augur

This update was a mess. It feels like characters are playing in syrup. I have a low end laptop and a high end desktop and both are having the same issues. When not in raid it is still playable (auto follow fails a lot), but when in raids it is painful, clicking action frequently requires multiple buttons presses for them to register and there is choppy screen lag when looking around (especially with mouse look). If I had to guess the issue it would be that for someone reason the FPS is being limited by 20-30% even with "unlimited" being selected in options.
    mercury890 likes this.