Fixed DirectX 11 : the stuttering makes the game unplayable

Discussion in 'Bug Reports' started by Feochadan the Savior, Jan 17, 2024.

1. I_Love_My_Bandwidth Mercslayer

The steps in that thread won't take you hours. 5-10mins, tops. Make sure you don't delete the eqclient.ini. Just change the name. Once the new .ini is in place, move your TextColors, Chatfilters, and KeyMaps over. Say a quick prayer to Karana. Start EQ.
    Xianzu_Monk_Tunare and minimind like this.
  2. Domniatric Augur

If it works perfectly. I SERIOUSLY doubt it will. And if it jacks up my UI on 5 characters then it will definitely take hours.
  3. I_Love_My_Bandwidth Mercslayer

Your UI layout is saved in a different file. Should be ok there. I empathize with you, though. Hope this resolves the issue you're seeing!
  4. Domniatric Augur

Yeah, but they were tweaking resolutions in the brief description I read. Which WILL goof your UI up.

Thanks for the empathy. I'd rather they just left stuff alone though instead of releasing a bunch of half-baked crap that breaks things and improves nothing.
    TB_AB and I_Love_My_Bandwidth like this.
  5. Windance Augur

Everyone agrees this roll out was pretty half baked.

In general, some of the graphics options from DX9 are causing issues in DX11.

The ones that seems to make a difference for me are:

MipMapping=FALSE ( was TRUE )
    UseD3DTextureCompression=TRUE ( was FALSE )
    TextureQuality=1 ( was 3 )
    mercury890 likes this.
  6. Windance Augur

It would have been nice for them to say something like:

If you are having issues, run this utility which will clear out and reset the eqclient.ini graphics settings to some known good settings, by running the "OptionsEditor" from the launch pad.

Instead we got ... what?
    Fanra likes this.
  7. Velisaris_MS Augur

A half-baked roll out of a feature that clearly wasn't ready and isn't needed at this time...just like all the other things they've tried to roll out in the last year or so.

I still want a dev to tell us WHY it was necessary to do this now instead of waiting until it actually worked and didn't bork up a good portion of player's graphics.
    mercury890 and TB_AB like this.
  8. Soulbanshee Augur

Sounds like you had hidden before, but the new categories default to show which would fall in line with what you are describing, all the messaging is the same so theres nothing "new" going to log file.

10 Mb seems a bit excessive though, and constantly moving/recreating the file is going to have an impact also. Is EQ on a slow hard disk, or an SSD? If EQ is on a hard disk and you have an SSD read up on creating a directory junction and you can move just the Logs folder to an SSD, or if you are feeling more adventurous a RAM drive.

Make sure that Logs folder is excluded in your realtime AV scan, or you can exclude the whole EQ folder.
    Xianzu_Monk_Tunare likes this.
  9. Febb Augur

Because some executive told them to roll it all out regardless if it was ready or not. This is what companies do, meet deadlines regardless if things are ready.
    Windance, Ssdar and strongbus like this.
  10. mercury890 Old Timer from the days of karana.

I agree... at least it would make the game playable.
  11. strongbus Augur

bingo I lay goods odds that some bean counter order it to be put in now to save money.
  12. Velisaris_MS Augur

How is making devs scramble around to fix something that wasn't ready to put in saving money versus actually making it work and installing at a later date?
  13. strongbus Augur

I take it you never meet someone in accounting for a big business. All they see is if we do x by x date we save/make x amount of money. And they get the big wigs to order the devs to do it. And even if the devs say we can't get it working right by x date, they don't care. It the same reason we gotten new exp with bugs and stuff not working in dec. Cause all the accounting see is a big boost in sales just be for the end of the year.
  14. Mikana Augur

Ridiculous that this hasn't been rolled back yet.
  15. Xianzu_Monk_Tunare Augur

There would be no change even if they waited a whole year. The issue is not the game update. The issues are video card drivers being wildly out of date, DX11 libraries not actually being installed on the system, windows setttings that affect DX11 and later but not DX9 not being activated. Then there are people with 14 year old systems that they bought on Amazon or eBay because it was cheap and said it was a gaming system, when they are really just refurbed business systems.
    You can play, you haven't been prevented from playing. Also, the ToS & EULA specifically call out situations like this, so you are not due a refund. Especially since there has not been a chance to cure the problem, less than a week is completely unreasonable. The servers are up and the majority of people can play fine.

Also, while you think that you meet the minimum requirements, you may not. I have came across several people who thought as you did, but then after digging a bit deeper they didn't actually have the DX11 libraries installed, or they needed to change a setting in Windows or within their video card, which affects DX11 but not DX9 and earlier.
    You have to remotely host pictures. Many hosting sites require that you set the picture a very specific way in order for it to be embedded in a post like this.
    Since most people don't have issues and actually have better performance, rolling it back would be ridiculous. There are solutions but most people are simply complaining without going through the steps to check their problems or address issues that resolved via the OS or video card's settings with DX11 and later.
  16. Xianzu_Monk_Tunare Augur

***I had assumed that these options show and hide, but apparently they are currently show and nonzero only, the latter of which makes no sense as these should never show as zero.***
    Options->Chat->Direct Damage (Other Critical Hits)
    Options->Chat->DoTs (Other Critical Hits)
    Options->Chat->Healing (Other Critical Heals)
    Options->Chat->Others Hits (Critical)

For those who only wish to Filter them to a different Chat window:
    Right Click the window you want them in->Filters->Spells->Direct Damage->Direct Damage (Other Critical Hits)
    Right Click the window you want them in->Filters->Spells->DoTs->DoTs (Other Critical Hits)
    Right Click the window you want them in->Filters->Spells->Healing->Healing (Other Critical Heals)
    Right Click the window you want them in->Filters->Melee->Other Hits (Critical)

You are comparing apples and rutabagas.
  17. Lodestar The Undefeated

Categorically false.

Provide links, references, or evidence to multiple people experiencing better performance. It will be especially helpful if they have systems/IT building experience, or a pro gaming background to know and discern what issues they are actually looking for in terms of hitching, tearing, hertz and refresh rates.

Daybreak has serious work to do. Anyone who tries to state otherwise is simply wrong.
    mercury890, Sunawar and DJDan like this.
  18. DJDan New Member

I noticed some unusual lag spikes during the NoS Pit Fight raid last week. Screen would completely lock up for a few seconds with each emote and wave of grimlings.
    Xyza likes this.
  19. Xianzu_Monk_Tunare Augur

Literally everyone I have played with has commented on the better performance, there are numerous people who have posted about better performance in these forums as well as on the Facebook Groups. The people with the problem are actually the small group. I know it is a hard pill to swallow, but that is the facts. The majority of people either didn't have any issue or had minor issues that were directly addressed in the original post and quickly resolved.

I have honestly seen more people complaining about the changes to how chat does others crits, than I have negative comments about the DX11 change.
    Kaenneth likes this.
  20. Lodestar The Undefeated

Alright, here's what I'm trying to tell you in terms of factual/solid indisputable backup given your false claims:
    • How many threads have been posted relating to chat filters across veterans/bug reports? 6 posts
      • DirectX 11? 24 posts
    • How many of the chat filter threads are > two pages? 1 post
      • DirectX 11? >4 posts, more than I need to count. This post you responded to yourself has 6 pages, another has 8, 3, etc. This thread by itself proves there's more discussion on DX11 than all chat filters posts combined.
    • Pro Gaming (or anything close to it): What's "Knights of the Silver Dragon" ranked on Guild Rankings? Unlisted and unranked. We need people who know how to discern a 165hz to 165fps mismatch and the difference in screen tearing, hitching, and stuttering.
    • What specific detailed contextual evidence have you provided proving your understanding of systems building, tearing, hertz, hitching, DX11 backend, or GPU OS performance budgeting that would clarify you know what you're talking about or anyone else you're talking to that's giving you feedback? None.
    Do not post misinformation that gives Daybreak developers any room to ignore this issue. On behalf of the community, please stop.
    Amex111, Sunawar, DJDan and 2 others like this.