Fixed Internally new chat filters not creatiing or saving new options in eqclient.

Discussion in 'Resolved' started by Amex111, Jan 18, 2024.

1. Amex111 Journeyman

Some of the new chat filters are getting reset upon logging out. Heck, the eqclient is not getting new line items for the new settings.

Tested and broken:
    - "Other damage other"
    - "Heals (Others)"
    - "Heals (Your critical heals)
    - "Heals (Yours)"

There are probably others, but those four I have tested.

If you change these chat settings, and camp desktop, upon logging in they are reset. On top of that , no new lines are created in the eqclient.ini to represent the new values attempting to be saved.

Does anyone have a temp fix for this?
    Midasa, Vorplax, Aeromen and 15 others like this.
  2. Beldrune Apprentice

When I log in, every single time my other hits other and all heals in chat options reset and I get blasted with way too much combat spam until I fix it yet again. I go into options and turn off other damages other, and set heals to don’t show or non-zero only and it doesn’t save either
    Windance and Amex111 like this.
  3. Joules_Bianchi A certain gnome

just out of curiosity, could you test if this happens to you in NON fast camp zones vs fast camp zones. May help to sort out if it's serverside cache or missing the write to your ini at least?

4. niente Developer

When new chat filters are added, it is common not to allow them to be turned off, because it is a lot more work than it appears to be to do this (and doubles all testing time). It was not intended that these filters could be turned off, but since it seems like a popular enough option I will go ahead and fix it.

For now, if you are frustrated by the filters being reset, I recommend sending them to a new "spam" chat tab that you don't look at.
    fransisco, Eaiana and Thunderkiks like this.
  5. I-WANT-IT-NOW Augur

No offense but how much work do you think you guys add to the player base every time you change stuff like this willy nilly?

I get its adapt or die but if something isn't mission critical IDC how long it takes behind the scenes but it should be handled so that it ends up as close as possible to what it was prior. Or so insanely intuitive that its a few minutes at most to adapt. Not hours tracking down what ended up where and reverting the rainbow colors someone forced on everyone.

And not release all new chat filters and color coding WITH DX 11 massive changes all at once. Leaving the customer in the lurch to deal with 50 variables at once.
    rahzel44, Ismel, Toukan and 3 others like this.
  6. Windance Augur

I hope we can get this patched in ASAP.

I don't look forward to going through and setting chat filters up multiple times a week for the next 4 weeks.

Multiply that by a couple hundred people a night and that's a lot of angry EQ'ers.

Others hit others being stuck on is a huge performance issue on raids. Sending it to a spam window and ignoring it isn't going to help.
  7. Riou EQResource

For some of those and future filters it would be nice to have the option to turn off "Others" so you could have it set up like a "Personal" type of relevant filters that are only things your character does or receives versus "Everything" filters
    Fanra likes this.
  8. Yinla Ye Ol' Dragon

Any things that is other I don't want to see. It would be nice to have an overide setting that I can turn all other off with 1 click.

Also for the love of all things fluffy split pet spells, between mine and others! I've had mine pet spells turned off for years, because I have no interest in what other pets are doing!
    Fanra and Ileasa like this.
  9. AethDW Elder

That’s a super bad take that because something requires one time QA work on your end that is hard to support, all players need to do a really manual task every time they log in. This was an optional “improvement”. If you don’t have the resources to do it properly and not make it a pita to the users, should probably spend that time on something else.
    Silvena, Fanra, Ileasa and 1 other person like this.
  10. Moege Augur

do not use /camp desktop

Here is what I did
    1. Log in one account only
    2. Setup filters
    3. /camp
    4. at character select press Esc
    5. at server select press Esc choose quit
    Mine now filters correctly and remembers it on login/logout
  11. fransisco Augur

While there are issues, I SUPER appreciate the new filters
    Ileasa likes this.
  12. minimind The Village Idiot

Is this issue non-universal? I set the filter locations to my spam tab and it saved just fine (three characters, one install directory).

Or is this about preventing the text from appearing at all?
  13. Windance Augur

Did not work for me:

Please confirm that you can turn OFF:

Others damage other
    Others Hits (Criticals)

Heals (other critical heals)
    Heals (Other)
    Heals (Yours)
    Heals Received

Things I've tried:
    1 - checking to see if eqclient.ini was write protected.
    2 - deleted eqclient.ini and recreated it
    3 - camping out in combat zone so no quick logout.
    4 - following the steps above.

I even tried editing the eqclient.ini file directly and had no luck.

Given the dev post above I tend to think these messages are just not reading the correct key/value pair from the ini file.
    Amex111 likes this.
  14. Beldrune Apprentice

I want to see some heals, but not zero heals. Can’t be filtered separately.
    Ileasa likes this.
  15. Angahran Augur

1. Who mentioned 'turning off' filters? The issue is that changes made to these new filters are not being saved so next time players log in they have to make the same changes again.

2. What testing time? It's obvious this wasn't tested (by DBG) or someone would have noticed they were not being saved. so, 2x0 is still 0.

Again, what is being 'turned off' and what are you fixing? We simply want the changes we make to save so we don't have to do them every time we log in.

How can we send them to a 'new spam window' when changes are not saving? We'd have to do this every time we log in! That is not a 'fix'.
    Ileasa likes this.
  16. Moege Augur

Never said turn off, I noted what I did to help the OP filter the messages to the correct window. How you came to the conclusion you did I do not understand
  17. Velisaris_MS Augur

Someone help me out...why do we even need to see zero heals? I'm totally blanking why that's a thing.
    Yinla and Beldrune like this.
  18. Cidd New Member

in addition to other damage other coming back to Show after you log out and back, they combined the "your target is too close to use a ranged weapon", which I for one don't want to see, with messages I do want to see.

and even if others do want to see that warning, the purpose of having filters is to customize to the player, and now you can't unless there's another way or a show/hide setting.
  19. SteamFox Augur

It lets you know the spell at least landed and didn't fizzle, interrupt, out of range, blocked, whatever.
  20. Velisaris_MS Augur

But wouldn't all of those scenarios already give messages? I'm really not seeing a need for it to be honest.