DirectX 11 API Port is live!

Discussion in 'News and Announcements' started by Angeliana, Jan 17, 2024.

1. Xianzu_Monk_Tunare Augur

Sounds like you have something set dark in your computers settings. This was hardly rushed out. It was intended to released last October and got pushed back. What specific settings do you have chosen in your Options Window ->Display Tab and the Advanced Display Tab window?
  2. Xianzu_Monk_Tunare Augur

Think you replied to the wrong person. I'm not having any issues.
  3. Montag Augur

Well I said MASSIVELY increase. Which happened when? When they dropped win95 support, when they dropped win32 support and...?
  4. chav New Member

most of us are old as you age you loose color so why update stuff so it looks better when most of us cant tell the difference.
    Ileasa likes this.
  5. Sturmlocke Apprentice

Hail and well met folks,

just saw someone mention the update go live on Youtube, so I'm about to check it out for myself on Linux (DirectX11 to DXVK / Vulkan). First of all, congrats for going through with this! I understand there will some issues that will have to be addressed as time goes on, but the fact that ya'll are upgrading this old gem of a game is good in my book, and I look forward to the improvements that this will bring further down the line. Every major API port is going to be facing some challenges; as Linux users using Proton and API translation layers we know this to be true, but the benefits will outweigh the initial pain in the long run, if done right (Linux easily beating Win despite using a different API and translation layer on top). For the longest time we have been seeing old DirectX9 titles run nearly twice as fast on Linux via the likes of Proton and DXVK, no issues whatsoever, and I'm sure DirectX11 on Windows has similar potential to enhance things for Windows users.

As for the folks wondering about the upgrade in itself, well, EQ1 has always been kept up to date when it comes to these things. It started out with a DX6/GLIDE API / engine, let that sink in for a second, and over time we saw it go all the way up to DX9 and now DX11. We've been through this a couple of times already, no surprise here actually. Seeing the new system requirements + Angel's post mentioning DX11 related technical art upgrades makes me curious to see how EQ1 will look like in one or two years from now. If the new system requirements are of any indication, EQ1 might be giving the likes of Monsters and Memories a run for its money with new tech and art under the hood. These are live games after all, so needing an upgrade every now and then doesn't hurt too much tbh (a DX11 capable gpu will cost you 15-20 USD second hand).

As for releasing DX11 in its current state; you never know. Even though I understand how painful these things can be, patience is key here. There might be a really good reason for this. Example: Right now Wayland is being forced upon us by some major Linux distributions, and while Wayland isn't quite ready for prime time just yet, it actually still leaves a lot to be desired when compared to X11, pushing it live and making it the default for us mainstream users yields some major benefits: a) it becomes the de facto standard / default b) leading to major companies / entities that have been slow to adopt the new tech, such as Nvidia, will now have good reason to do so because users will be complaining non-stop if it doesn't work out of the box c) sometimes, in order to grow, you have to take a leap of faith and work with it as we go. Putting things on "hold" for too long has the risk of never getting it out the door, so to speak, if you get what I mean.

To that end, going to login to EQ1 tonight and give it a go! PS: Btw, is there any info on when EQ2 is going to be getting the DirectX11 treatment this year?

[IMG]
    Ileasa and SirPhobosKnightofMar like this.
  6. Zorryn New Member

MOB name plates are all grey for me on 3 different computers. Not having as big of an issue with gamma (and I can change outside the game in the Nvidia control panel.)

Nevermind, was an issue with something I did in the NVidia GEForce control panel. I reset to defaults and colors are back.
  7. BrutusMax New Member

Is there honestly no way to force anti-aliasing now except for using vaseline FXAA? The game looks completely unsightly now in my windowed mode without normal AA. I assumed that this was fixed in the beta; the shimmering and stair-stepping of the aliasing looks god-awful and hurts my eyes.

Can you inject any anti-aliasing? If injecting via something like Reshade works, can we get an official dev response over whether this violates the ToS and can result in an account ban?
    Warrior187 likes this.
  8. StonerProud New Member

I've been installing and uninstalling EQ several times now always getting some error about DirectX and I know there is an error while installing DirectX but then it says it's fully installed so when I run the launcher, it installs the game but when it tries to bring up the lobby,, I get an error message that tells me that it can't run the program and something to do with DirectX. I won't have my glasses in 2 weeks so I can't read it entirely. What needs to be done?
  9. SOLARRICH New Member

I'd like to say that is upgrade is not one. Basically what DX11 is discover your speed and ram etc and slows down your bandwidth. What remains to be seen is to impact on raids. Very bad move they dept. of operations should have done the following:

/1 Taken a survey of each persons OS an decided what was fair.
    /2 Also taken a look at what vide cards support Dx11. If people don't have them they should be warned to upgrade to be in upper compliance.
    /3 Everyone one should be on win10 by now its 2024.
    4/ Consider going to Lightforge 6.0 which was used in H1Z1 just survive.

That is all. You want things fixed......
  10. Lodestar The Undefeated

This was specifically reported by me in beta, and acknowledged by the devs. However, nothing was done and it was force pushed to live.

Multiple other issues were also reported and seen, yet everything was force pushed to live. Hitching, decreases in FPS, stuttering, etc.

It's as though Daybreak thinks there would be a benefit by getting everything pushed half-baked in this patch with known issues. Reality check: There is zero benefit, and an instant decrease in subscribers and cash flow as result.

Poor and unnecessary decision making puts our community at risk, and Daybreak's own long-term solvency at risk.
  11. Sturmlocke Apprentice

This is something that I look forward to get resolved for both EQ1 and 2 tbh (at some point in the future). AA options got removed in EQ2 as well due to some outstanding bugs that I believe will get fixed when we migrate over to DX11 for EQ2, but since enabling AA for EQ2 has been bugging out on my Linux machine, and since others have reported the same on Windows, I found a workaround that doesn't rely on injecting things via Reshade and the likes: I just switched over to using 4k native res and started using Proton / Gamescope on Linux to first upscale the image to a higher resolution than my monitor can actually natively support only to then downscale it to the real 4k native res. This is similar to doing smaa but the downside is that it has quite the performance hit. Not sure if you can do this on Windows, but there might be something similar, I assume? Normally I was gaming at 2k res for performance reasons, but going full 4k made most of the jaggies go away because the picture becomes so sharp. At 4k reso you don't see that many jaggies on a 28" screen to begin with tbh, so it might suffice to just go 4k for EQ1 until the powers that be patch things up a bit. I'm actually curious to see how they fix this in the future as DirectX11 might prove to have some compat issues with older msaa techniques. Iirc Battlefield and some other games have an option in-game to actually do this via a simple slider where you can set the game resolution above 100% (say 200% for example) and go higher than native and that results in a super crisp image similar to smaa. Could this prove to be a quick fix / workaround that the powers that be can implement for EQ1/2 until we get proper anti aliasing sorted out with dx11?

Edit:
    [IMG]
    EQ2's Gfay in 4k reso up and then downscaled from 8k
  12. Venedar Lorekeeper

Joining the chorus of users here who are facing issues after the DirectX 11 update in EverQuest. The game's brightness levels have become a major concern, making it difficult to play. The workaround of adjusting gamma settings in the NVIDIA control panel isn't viable, as it over-brightens everything else on my system.

Please address this issue as soon as possible.
    Warrior187 and Silvena like this.
  13. Seilun New Member

As many others, I've been getting the following post patch:

[IMG]

I can't get my dxdiag to match the requirements posted in this thread, even though everything on my setup is updated (Got directx12, drivers and windows are all current)

[IMG]

Did I miss a fix somewhere or has my time in EQ really come to an end?
  14. Sturmlocke Apprentice

[IMG]
    EQ1 DX11 on Linux

Ok, I just gave it a whirl myself too, and just posted my feedback here, but I'll copy and paste into this thread too just for the sake of providing feedback.

My system:
    • Dell Inc. OptiPlex 7050
    • Intel® Core™ i7-7700 CPU @ 3.60GHz × 8
    • NVIDIA RTX A2000/PCIe/SSE2
    • openSUSE Leap 15.5
    • 64-bit
    • Gnome 41.8
    • X11
    • Nvidia driver version: 545.29.06
    • Soundcard: Asus Xonar SE internal
    • Soundcard specs: 192kHz/24-Bit, 5.1-channel und 300-Ohm-Headset enhancement
    • System and recording drive: 2 x 1TB M2 NVME SSD + 2 x 1TB SSD in RAID 0 mode + 2 x 1 TB SSHD
    • Steam + Proton = Flatpak
    • GameMode for EQ1 enabled in Steam for Linux via launch options for Kernel level optimization and increased performance
    • Nvidia settings powermizer set to "prefer maximum performance" for steady fps-rate accross the board
    • Cpu-profile set to high performance in Gnome settings
    • All in-game settings maxed out
    And this is EQ1 running on Steam + Proton Experimental (Flatpak). I actually just deleted the game and reinstalled just to make sure that I have a clean prefix to test, and didn't have to do anything other than: Start Steam -> Download and install EQ1 -> Patch EQ1 -> login and play = no issues whatsoever. No graphical issues, adjusting gamma works fine, framerates are high at 4k reso and 60+ fps for the most part. Loading was super fast too and took less than five seconds on my NVME drive. I've been running around with different acc and toons, and after zoning through a few of the older zones; no major issues thus far. Will continue to test and report feedback. Can someone pm me some feedback where you are seeing the graphical glitches and whatnot so I can move there and test the area on my rig too?
    Drewie and Jedis like this.
  15. Fluid Augur

Well it doesn't look like a hardware age or performance question. By way of explanation: The only computer I didn't test yet was a 12 year old Lenovo X131E. This thing has like a dual core 8088<sic> AMD processor running at 1.3 gHz. No joke, it has the foot print of a sheet of binder paper and the processing power to match. Took 20 minutes to turn on, maybe 30 minutes to download EQ patches & apply them, another 10 minutes to load a character. Works fine! For a CPU that would be weak for an old cellphone, performance is snappy outside of crowded areas. In crowds, a lot of freezes. I don't think someone could raid; to balky, frame skips, non responsive in crowds. There is the dark screen problem I think people are talking about. Light levels are about what you would expect IRL maybe a half hour+ after the sun goes down.

So that's my score anyway. 2 laptops/notebook work, 1 laptop + desktop fail to launch, 2 for 4. The oldest computer I have using W10 home version runs just fine.

When something like this happens, there usually is an extenuating circumstance. Something like an old file hanging around from a previous patch or ???. I'll leave the notebook on over night and reboot to see if it patches up to latest version of Windows and craps out. Since the problems occur in crowds mostly, character models are suspect. Dark Screen? Who knows!
  16. Xianzu_Monk_Tunare Augur

Hate to break it to you, but they did not massively increase the requirements. This is not any more massive of an increase in the min req than any of the myriad of other increases over the years. In all reality the only thing they probably needed to change was the DX9 to DX11. The rest could have stayed the same. That is not a massive increase.
    Rijacki likes this.
  17. Veteran_BetaTester PIZZA!

I meet this exactly.

I did notice there has been removal in Advanced Options.

The darkness in game is forcing me to turn on Use Advanced Lighting when I didn't have to before.
    OLD
    [IMG]

NEW
    [IMG]

Some reason this is blinding me and other reason it is strenuous on the eyes, Hot buttons look different where these new visual adjustments seem to only effect what I see other then hotbuttons.

The above picture (top one) is one I pulled off the internet, and is not my settings.. vs the bottom one which was my settings. I don't know if I had post effects on.

Eitherway, it is messing up hotbuttons and glare.

You are gonna lose a lot of business on this one.
    Silvena and Warrior187 like this.
  18. Grau Elder

If the game is too dark and you have a Nvidia card you can try adjusting the gamma in the Nvidia Control Panel. Right click the Nvidia icon on your taskbar and select the control panel.

[IMG]

Then go to "Adjust desktop color settings" and adjust the gamma. Just note that this will adjust it for your entire system. This is what I had to do under dx9 to be able to see anything ingame as none of the ingame settings did anything for me.

[IMG]

Hopefully the pictures show up... the forum is being a pain in letting me post them.
  19. Sticky_Fingers New Member

Also, inspecting your gear, that window is to dark.
    Warrior187 likes this.
  20. Sticky_Fingers New Member

Not on a laptop with iGPU. I do have an Nvidia GPU but iGPU handles the display settings. I don't have an option for " Display " in the Nvidia Control Panel.