Video card check for dx 11 Fatal Error

Discussion in 'Player Support' started by Hegsheoshed, Jan 17, 2024.

1. Svann2 The Magnificent

Id guess the program checks a list of gpu's to see if your card is on the list. It might help if you post your gpu so they can add it to the list. More information helps in a bug report.
  2. thantoas New Member

same issue ...sigh.......

they really should just let people go either/or on stuff like this. People could opt in if they wanted prettier pixels or whatever....

People that are playing a 20 year old game on bonkers fast computers compared to what EQ launched with....really....really really.....should not be having these issues by this point.
    kevvlar likes this.
  3. Oberan Elder

Just run the dxdiag program (part of windows) click on the display tab and in the drivers section on righthand side make sure it says 11_0 in the feature levels section

Lots of people have old (now unsupported cards) because their cards do not have the require capabilities (ie the feature level).. Just cause you have dx11/12 installed on the OS doesn't mean your card supports it
    Hobs and Svann2 like this.
  4. Gialana Augur

Edit: Most of the below was posted by the poster above while I was typing. So skip it if you want.

Beta had the DX11 update on it but I couldn't log on even though I had DX12 installed. I ran dxdiag and clicked the display tab. The Direct3D DDI line said 11, but the Feature Levels had a max of 10_1. Per the instructions in the first DX11 upgrade post, the Feature Levels need to show 11_0 or higher. I had to buy a new graphics card to log into Beta.

The point of this is to say that it's not enough that you can install DX12. You also need to make sure that your graphics card supports feature level 11_0.
    Hobs and Madeni like this.
  5. Graethos Journeyman

I see features level 10_0 and lower how do i get 11?
  6. Gialana Augur

You can check your graphics card at this site to see if it can support feature level 11_0:
    https://www.techpowerup.com/gpu-specs/
    Under the Graphics Features section, there will be a number followed by another number in parenthesis. The number in parenthesis needs to be at least 11_0.

I suspect that if you're seeing 10_0 in dxdiag, though, it means your graphics card isn't supported with the DX update in EQ today. I upgraded to an AMD Radeon 240 with 4GB memory for $35 at the start of beta in order to play. There may be better options, but maybe not for laptops.
  7. Fumm New Member

They both actually have an NVIDIA NVS 5400M. I was able to get this fixed by going into bios and changing the graphic card settings as the auto detect to use the NVIDIA no longer works when upgrading to windows 10. Working great now.

edit: this was for the hd3000 btw on windows 10
    Beimeith likes this.
  8. Kahlev Al-Calen Augur

Sadly you need to get a new video card. For a laptop it would be either buying one of those external adapters, or just replacig the pc altogether.
  9. MiataDriver Augur

It does not by any means require a particularly new card, I have a GTX 1070, it fully supports up through DX12_1.
  10. Kofac New Member

Same problem I have a 3080Ti on Windows 11 all drivers fully updated and Windows fully updated. Really annoying has there been a fix for this yet ? or they even acknowledged the problem ?
  11. Daikano New Member

Fatal Error: The game can't run on any GPU that your system has (2) because they don't support DirectX 11.0
    1: AMD Radeon RX 5700 XT
    2: Microsoft Basic Render Driver

The Radeon RX 5700 XT was released in 2019 and has full support for up to Direct X 12. I have no idea what the basic render driver is but I doubt that matters as the game engine is looking at all drivers and would choose the best option.

Posting this on behalf of a guild mate whom is too disgusted at the moment.
    Joules_Bianchi likes this.
  12. Daikano New Member

By the way, the first step in troubleshooting for any end-user should be to go to their start/search panel of windows and type run - This will open the windows 'run program' box. In that box type dxdiag and press enter. It'll analyze the direct X drivers and identify if there are any problems warranting an application repair or reinstall. For all those I have been trying to help in discord, there have been no problems found and Direct X 12 is installed.
  13. Kofac New Member

I managed to fix mine I have a 3080ti on Windows 11. I hope it works for everyone. What I did was downloaded DDU to fully remove my Nvidia graphics driver https://www.guru3d.com/download/display-driver-uninstaller-download/

Once the drivers where removed I rebooted so it had the Windows Basic drivers. At that point I tested Everquest and it worked. So I downloaded the Nvidia driver direct from Nvidia website installed that and again rebooted.

After that Everquest works again :)
  14. Farce New Member

Can confirm this worked for me too.
  15. Danteys New Member

Cannot play game on my laptop now. Please revert, or make DX11 port an opt-in. I would love to play EQ, and I'm paying to be able to do so, but I can't.
    Zingo likes this.
  16. Brazy Augur

Really crappy change to just make it so some computers can't play the game anymore without updating hardware.
  17. Ratalthor Developer

Lineater likes this.
  18. Wulerdar Gnome Slayer

what should people be looking for according to the filters on this list there is 1 graphics card that works with DX11
  19. Sweetstuff New Member

So...my 10 year old laptop can (barely) play the game, by my raedon card on my PC (newer) cannot? Are you telling me I have to upgrade my computer to play your game? Seriously? I'm honestly asking, as most players have older machines. And we can't afford new ones.
  20. ChiiChii Augur

New in-game features!