Fixed Internally Mercs losing buffs when they level

Discussion in 'Resolved' started by Bernel, Dec 13, 2023.

1. Joules_Bianchi A certain gnome

This is still a thing, no personas, no LoS expansion purchased.

Every ding, merc loses all buffs.

instead of keeping your merc it's like the game just replaces your merc each time you ding.

Merc remains BLUE /con after that.

This is very broken.

Careful. I said something like that in another thread and they blocked me from responding to the thread anymore.

#priorities.

2 weeks and not a single employee has a word to say.

<derp>
    JulieMay64, Cacia and Quelas like this.
  2. Joules_Bianchi A certain gnome

Devs do not share this opinion apparently.
  3. Joules_Bianchi A certain gnome

No, this never happened before LoS launch and it doesn't matter if you own the expansion or not. It screws everyone.
  4. Joules_Bianchi A certain gnome

No, it is not normal. Years ago, when you dinged you had to zone or camp to push updated level, but that changed years ago. Mercs have consistently leveled equal and remained buffed since then.

LoS launch broke something and they're studiously ignoring it.

I am studiously ignoring purchasing LoS.
    Hegsheoshed likes this.
  5. Joules_Bianchi A certain gnome

Level 10, straight from the tutorial, no LoS expansion, no personas whatsoever. Every level up strips all buffs and merc /con is BLUE to me. Level 10-39 in Blighfire, buffs stripped 29 times.

Slowing everyone down stealth pushes their engagement time metrics "for the new expansion"

Shh nobody notice this.
  6. Joules_Bianchi A certain gnome

Yay for new players experience and having to explain this to new invitees to our guild.

/sigh

All the devs wave your hands in the air like ya just don't care.

7. Quelas New Member

I have notice this too after coming back to play EQ that the mercs were losing their buffs after my toon ding
    I also dont have the Los expansion( didnt see the reason for if none of my toons are high enough to doing anything in them zones yet)
    It is rather annoying
    Joules_Bianchi likes this.
  8. Mikana Augur

Don't know if it's related, but there is also a long-standing bug where mercs lose buffs on zoning if you are in a shroud form.
  9. Bernel Augur

10. Bilbo Backpackens Journeyman

Interesting that this hasn't warranted any sort of response, like a Confirmed tag. This is one of the most up voted bug threads recently (up voting is supposed to notify devs), it's easily reproduced, and it affects anyone not already 125 and who uses mercs.

I don't expect every bug to get an acknowledgement, or even be fixed ever. But this seems like a bigger one.

Edit: Yay, looks like they at least acknowledge it now. Fingers crossed this gets fixed soon.
  11. Hegsheoshed Augur

It has me wondering if there is a level range that it doesn't affect. Three times I halted things and headed back to safer places to rebuff the mercenaries. I don't have much interest in 'going along with the flow' and just dealing with it. It could be the new feature to keep high level players from having the rabble catch up and get in their way.

I was given the green light to go ahead and activate my accounts when finances got better. I only did one since I wanted to see how the wind was blowing after the new expansion went live.

It may be that the only real fun in EQ is being max level.
  12. Mikana Augur

I created a new toon on Drinal server, then leveled up to 17 with the help of a friendly druid damage shield on my merc. Every ding, the merc lost buffs, and I had to head back to the Lobby to get fresh buffs.
  13. Joules_Bianchi A certain gnome

but....

"CONFIRMED"

No eta of a fix, nor any stated intention to do so.

"CONFIRMED" was what the Umbral Plains triggered mobs not spawning bug was for 19 months-

But Personas launched and broke more Everquest.

ToL expansion broke Luclin zones for over a year and a half in zones FROM the expansion, and the oroiginal zone they copy pasted from.

"CONFIRMED" is the Dev version of "Thank you for bringing this to our attention" dismissal speak.
  14. CatsPaws No response to your post cause your on ignore

Level 89 character, no AP, nothing special. Dings level 90 in middle of fight and tank merc loses all his 21 buffs, dies and so does character who then de levels.

How To Upvote Bugs!

It is important for us to prioritize bugs and fix the most important ones first. You can help us and add your voice to that prioritization by "upvoting" bugs that you think are important.
    • To upvote a bug, open the thread and click LIKE on the first post (the initial bug report).
    Hegsheoshed likes this.
  15. Bernel Augur

It's not convenient or always possible, but if you can suspend the merc before leveling and resume it afterwards, it should come back with its buffs intact.

One workaround would be if you have multiple merc slots. When you're getting close to leveling, suspend your buffed merc and unsuspend your 2nd merc. Use your 2nd merc to get you across to the next level and then resume with your buffed merc. Your 2nd merc would end up being unbuffed, but at least your 1st merc would still be buffed.

Another way would be to do quests or claim rewards when you're just about to level. Suspend your merc and then quest your way to the next level.
  16. Tyranthraxus Grognard

While I haven't noticed this personally, (run a cleric merc 90% of the time). I wonder if it's somehow related to mercs resetting their graphics on level, like is it totally reloading them instead of leveling them. I have to suspend my merc before I level or It resets to a fugly.
  17. Iuwene Augur

It happens only since LS launch. I am 99.9% sure it is persona related, even if you never touched a persona.

Someone changed a piece of code without realizing that this specific code was also used for the normal merc leveling process.
    Joules_Bianchi and Bernel like this.
  18. Joules_Bianchi A certain gnome

People were flipping between persona and character and the higher level buffs were sticking, which was apparently so terribly overpowered they preferred to just cache all merc buffs for everyone.

As always, knee jerk react to a "situation" and cause even more issues than you solve, then retreat and scuttle any criticism over this pattern., then take forever to address it so as not to appear like they did it wrong to begin with, let's just wait until nobody is paying attention anymore.

They realize the error. Fixing it though is an admission that they broke it, so they wait and wait and wait to fix a game breaking bug. They only care if the bug benefits players. Making th game more frustrating to new players to sell XP pots is still a win for them.

If it was an exploit, they'd fix it in less than a day.

They CAN

They choose to do it "sometime later", maybe next year, is an option these days.

"Confirmed" is not "fixed internally" or even addressed, much less fixed. They know exactly what's broken.
  19. Joules_Bianchi A certain gnome

Or maybe they could just, I don't know... Fix it perhaps?
    Bilbo Backpackens likes this.
  20. Febb Augur

I can confirm this. I just dinged 123 and my merc lost its buffs.