Fixed Internally Mercs losing buffs when they level

Discussion in 'Resolved' started by Bernel, Dec 13, 2023.

1. Bernel Augur

Today, I noticed my mercs losing their buffs upon leveling. This has happened on two separate accounts and multiple times. I'm leveling up a character and it's happening on every level. This is a standalone character that does not have any personas. Here's the buffs at 8 before leveling:

[IMG]

and after leveling to 9:
    [IMG]

ETA: Suspending the merc before leveling will allow it to keep its buffs. When you unsuspend, the merc should have the same buffs it had before.
    Bowtoxin, Shay, Febb and 18 others like this.
  2. Soulbanshee Augur

I notice the merc is also not same level.
    Joules_Bianchi and Bernel like this.
  3. Bernel Augur

Yeah, but I think that is normal that their level can be messed up right after leveling. It may be the old level until you zone. I'm pretty sure it's been that way for a while. But perhaps this merc level up lag situation is somehow interacting with some kind of other merc buff fix and it's causing the merc buffs to be removed.
  4. JimmyDawg1999 New Member

I have never noticed them lose all buffs before. It is really annoying Sitting in GL for buff on merc, paying for it to get those buffs only to have them completely wiped if you level.
    Joules_Bianchi and J'bone like this.
  5. Aanuvane Augur

I noticed this tonight as well.
    Joules_Bianchi likes this.
  6. Bernel Augur

For those of you who are seeing this, is it on a single class character or does it have personas? I'm wondering if it's related to personas. Even though my character didn't have personas, perhaps there's some merc buff code to deal with personas and that change mistakenly affected the merc's buffs during normal leveling

On a completely different character, I'm swapping back and forth with personas and seeing some odd merc behavior with regards to buffs. Some buffs are stripped from the merc, some are not.

* 76 cleric casts Courage (level 1) on the merc.
    * Switch to 116 Druid. Courage still on merc
    * Druid casts Spirit of the Enduring (111) and SoW (10) on the merc
    * Switch back to 76 Cleric. SotE and SoW are lost on merc. Courage still on merc. These messages appear:

[IMG]

Both the 111 and 10 level buffs would land on the 76 Cleric. I'm not sure why they would have been taken off. Why does the Cleric's Courage buff stay on the merc when switching to the Druid but the Druid's buffs are removed when switching to the Clerc? Maybe the mercs are supposed to have totally different buff caches and it's a bug that the Cleric's Courage stayed on the merc when switching to the Druid.

Just a guess, but I could see this persona buff management code mistakenly stripping buffs during normal leveling. Maybe it's getting confused about the merc who is behind a level or something.
  7. Aanuvane Augur

Single class character - I'm not touching personas for a while.
    Joules_Bianchi, Yinla and Bernel like this.
  8. Shamoo New Member

i was on an alt persona on thornblade when it happened to me every time i leveled, i think this is a side effect of them fixing the bug where mercs could keep max level buffs when you changed to a lower persona
  9. Conq Augur

Merc's are the Devil.
    Conq
    Dre. likes this.
  10. J'bone Journeyman

92 wizard on Drinal, just hit 92 and i look in the chat and all my mercs buffs have 'worn off' except for two of it's own buffs. weird and disappointing. good thing I wasn't in the middle of a fight.
  11. Barton-Vox Fizzlethorpe Rules !!

Happened to me on FV last night leveled up on 2 characters about 5 min apart and both their mercs lost all buffs
  12. JimmyDawg1999 New Member

To get around this, if you suspend merc before you level they will retain the buffs, they only lose them IF you level up with them active. They really need to fix this because it is ridiculous.
    J'bone likes this.
  13. ChaosCurse New Member

They might of did this on purpose because they dont want you to self PL yourself on if you have a High level buffer but there was nothing on the patch notes about it tho
    Dre. likes this.
  14. Velisaris_MS Augur

But this wasn't happening prior to LS launching, was it? I don't remember my merc ever losing buffs when I leveled in the past.
    J'bone and Joules_Bianchi like this.
  15. ChaosCurse New Member

you can use a Druid Lv 120 and buff with high level buffs suspend then > change your class and go lvl with 120 Damage shields dont think they want you to do that. do to the fact you can't buff mercs with 120 spells at Lv 30 but yes I take the time and go rebuff my merc on while waiting for respawns

And as none of the DEV's or GM's been saying anything about this yet I think they did do it on purpose
  16. Velisaris_MS Augur

If that is the reason for the change (and I can TOTALLY see them doing it), that is the stupidest thing I think I've seen about personas so far. Trying to mitigate a persona's ability to try and level as quickly as possible by punishing the player via their merc every time they DO level...that is a whole new level of pettiness.
  17. Barton-Vox Fizzlethorpe Rules !!

Happened again last night this needs fixed asap
    Hegsheoshed and Joules_Bianchi like this.
  18. Iuwene Augur

Noticed this as well today on a new toon on Antonius Bayle. Toon levels.... boom...merc buffs gone. Haven't touched any persona at all.
  19. Iuwene Augur

One more detail: It seems that only buffs that were cast by another character get stripped. Buffs from the merc owner survive the level up.
    Dre. likes this.
  20. Dylan97 New Member

Happened to me on 2 accounts since I first reported it on Dec 16. Nothing has been done to correct it. I keep getting an email from GM Spoon saying he can do nothing. Never asked him to - just want the people who are supposed to fix things like this to fix things like this.