Further response to the Tradeskill Depot issue

Discussion in 'News and Announcements' started by JChan, Nov 30, 2023.

1. JChan Developer

Hello EverQuest community, I want to take a moment to address some of your lingering questions on the Tradeskill Depot exploit that transpired last week and thank you for your patience as we investigated the matter more closely and assessed its impact on the game.

When our team was first alerted of the situation, we took immediate action to fix the underlying issue that allowed the exploit to happen. We also temporarily suspended accounts, all the while closely reviewing the accounts that participated in the issue.

We then found and permanently banned accounts that severely utilized the exploit, and we have now extended or sustained the suspensions on accounts that utilized it to a much lesser extent and removed platinum from those accounts.

After sifting through data, we learned that the total impact of this exploit was much less severe than was initially presumed. Across all EverQuest servers, the increased platinum generated equated to roughly 0.44% of the total economy. The impact on the Oakwynd economy was roughly 2.2% of Oakwynd's economic availability pre-removal. In the removal, we recovered 89.98% of the improper currencies generated for a net impact of 0.22% to the Oakwynd economy.

While we have made every effort to curtail any such incident from reoccurring, we will continue monitoring the economy to the best of our ability.

Realistically, we know we can’t do this alone, and we appreciate your help in keeping EverQuest a fair haven for all players. A friendly reminder that when reporting exploits, please refrain from reaching out directly to a staff member (developer, customer service, etc.). Instead, only utilize the method on the forums to report exploits at How To Report Exploits. If there are questions on how to use this feature, please contact our Community Manager Angeliana through PMs on the forums or through Discord.

Lastly, I want to acknowledge that we have listened to your constructive feedback throughout this time and have learned from them, and we will endeavor to communicate in a more timely manner, as transparently as we can, moving forward.

Thank you again for your patience, support, and continued loyalty to the game we all love, and we'll see you in Norrath.

Jenn Chan
    Head of Studio
  2. I_Love_My_Bandwidth Mercslayer

Outstanding. <3 U JChan! :)
  3. dizzl New Member

There is simply no way these numbers are even vaguely correct.

The bazaar price of nearly everything on Oakwynd 10x what it was on the 20th.
  4. Slaps Journeyman

While I and many do appreciate the response as it has been highly anticipated by many in the community, I find this response is very underwhelming and unsatisfactory coming from the head of studio.

The lack of action is biggest issue.
    The team may have fixed the issue but they failed to mitigate this issue for over 1 week while it was running wild on all servers.

I hope your team continues to work to address this exploits impact on all of the servers but I fear the damage has already been done for some of them.

I thank you for the response and we await further feedback regarding this ongoing issue.
    Chichiaz, Rouan, Erekai and 1 other person like this.
  5. Erekai Journeyman

Frankly, I don't believe it.

My character right now on Oakwynd is sitting on more money than I've ever had on any EQ server in my entire life, almost all of it from selling 1 single Krono to a Barter buyer in the Bazaar last night. If so much plat was removed from the economy, it feels like I shouldn't have THIS much money. I don't even have the Tradeskill Depot either so even if I wanted to, I couldn't have duped any plat.

So unless I see Krono prices dip BELOW 100k very very soon, it really does not seem like this statement can be true. I suppose people could be listing Kronos still for very high on the Bazaar, and they're just not selling, but I would expect to see prices drop steadily if they're not selling, but that doesn't seem to be happening. So... it's just a little hard to believe what we're being told here. Granted, it IS better than it was about a week ago, but not by a significant enough margin to make me believe that this much plat was removed from the economy.

I guess I'm glad to hear that the biggest offenders were banned, though.
  6. Melodiesbard New Member

I agree, Hopefully someone was really banned because everything else in this post is fiction.
    The good news is on oakywnd for less than a Krono you can red wine quest yourself some alts to level 60 and still not get your Legacy AA exp =)
    Tranced and Slaps like this.
  7. Doranur_Aleguzzler Filthy Casual™

I don't believe it. Prices on the bazaar on Oakwynd are still at 20x dupeflation, over pre-dupe prices on some if not many items.
  8. Tranced Lorekeeper

I appreciate the response, but I have to ask where these numbers came from?

Given that
    • Krono went from 40k before dupe, to 700k today
    • This is a 1650% increase
    • You claim that the server's total wealth was only impacted to the degree of 0.22%

I only have a mathematics degree, not an economics one... is there something I'm missing here?
  9. Doranur_Aleguzzler Filthy Casual™

I too would like to see the receipts.
    Kodiak65 likes this.
  10. Cideral Lorekeeper

Does "economic availability" include the platinum on all accounts of a server, including those that may not have logged in for years? or does it only include recent logins? .44% of ALL platinum on a server would be a much higher percentage if counted only against "active" platinum. And "active" platinum is what should be considered to determine economic impact.
    Kodiak65 likes this.
  11. Cuzon Elder

Are you listening to the constructive feedback regarding the persona system and the horrible restrictions that are currently on it? Any idea when we will get the FAQ for the AP system? If you are going to communicate in a more timely manner, now would be a good time to start.
  12. Vernal New Member

Why are krono still 10x the prior cost in the bazaar?
    Kodiak65 likes this.
  13. Cidran Augur

Thank you very much JChan, appreciate this response.

While I'm still unsure about the real impact on the economy, I'm glad there was action taken against the offenders, and I sincerely hope more steps are taken in this direction, not only in Oakwynd but also in live servers.
  14. brickz Augur

There is currently 1 pick of siren's grotto with no players in it. Your .22% figure is simply not believable when even botters don't bother farming plat anymore.
    Kodiak65, Maelia, Erekai and 3 others like this.
  15. Deathcomestoall Lorekeeper

I am concerned that the exploit was reported days before any action was taken. The company chose to delete comments that were posted publicly, as they did not take action when it was reported to them privately. This is not me making fun of anyone or anything like that. I am just pointing out facts that most people know at this point.
    Kodiak65, Chichiaz, Erekai and 6 others like this.
  16. #saveOakwynd New Member

I hope this does not further reduce the number of actual players in the MMO.

My recollection is that SOE used to do quick rollbacks and fix software bugs. Here on the other hand, I can imagine a situation where some people might feel frustrated/ripped-off if they bought buggy software (tradeskill depot/expansion/F&F) and then had their entire account banned.
  17. Koutarou_E'ci Elder

^^^
    This.

Actively circulating platinum and total generated platinum all-time are entirely different things.
    Kodiak65 likes this.
  18. ForeverCold New Member

Ok not because someone sell it at a price, that means it will sell.
    i can put 2 millions if i want, can be there for years.
    Have to look at the average prices of everything.
    Have also to take in consideration that maybe people are boosting the price because they think there is more money on the market than what it really is. So give it time, the price might drop because its unsellable
    minimind, Rijacki, Grove and 2 others like this.
  19. brickz Augur

that's what people are buying them for on buyers, not what they're listed for on the bazaar lol
    Kodiak65 and Oscig like this.
  20. KushallaFV Playing EverQuest

Just a tip, when you make a PR statement don’t make your statement, “It wasn’t that bad.”
    Kodiak65, RageSomeMore, Moege and 8 others like this.