I want to see some videos of people manually playing 6 characters

Discussion in 'Time Locked Progression Servers' started by Blufords, Nov 18, 2023.

1. Trevalon Augur

Ok cool, show your hands moving to each keyboard. You won't, I know, but it's ok, I have no idea what I'm talking about.

For fairness, if you show a video of your 6 monitors, 6 keyboards, 6 mice, and your hands moving between each individual one with 0 use of Multiplicity, parsec, or any keyboard Macro software (Any 3rd party software at all), I will 100% admit I'm wrong and acknowledge your a grade A player. Until then, I think the premise of this thread stands.

Edited - I decided to be nice :p
    TLP Addict likes this.
  2. TLP Addict Augur

Here you go.

Trevalon likes this.
  3. FranktheBank Augur

I'm sorry that you are too dense to sync my real person movements to my in game characters. I imagine life must be challenging for you without the ability to think critically. You have my sympathy. I know the prospect of playing more than one character but me truly terrifying in your mind.
  4. jeskola pheerie

I control 3 of my six with my feet. What's up now

[IMG]
    Knifen likes this.
  5. Elabone Augur

I 6 box with 6 computers
    2 monitors and 2 laptops and 3 mini computers.
    I use AnyDesk to remote connect to the 3 mini computers (boxes 4, 5, 6) that dont have a keyboard or a mouse and keep the 3 windows on my 2nd monitor.
    I use InputDirector (which is a mouse and keyboard program) that lets me move my mouse off the left of my screen and onto box 2, and off the top of my screen onto box 3.
    Which ever EQ window my mouse is hovering over, take control of my mouse and keyboard.
    No need for numpads or anything, 1 mouse and keyboard controlling 6 boxes
    If you dont think this can be done without cheating, youre just not using your brain.

And because youve asked so nicely, heres a random YouTuber i stumbled across one night at 5am.

I believe thats twice as many characters as you were hoping for.
    Pretty sure this thread has been solved though.
    jeskola likes this.
  6. Elabone Augur

I know youre likely trolling, but there was a guy in my guild on Aradune who literally played with his feet due to a genetic disorder or something (apologies if he reads this and i got it wrong). He raid lead and was an enchanter. And he was legit amazing. I didnt know he played with his feet for months and it only came up in passing as a joke.
    Rijacki and jeskola like this.
  7. FranktheBank Augur

Requoting to show the goalposts. Most boxers arent using 6 keyboard/mice, they are using a laptop with built in both, but numpads (as shown in my screenshot) for actual abilities.

Im sure if someone posts a video, you'll add that you saw a gina trigger or an autoclicker, therefore 3rd party gotcha, lmao.

For the non-dense folks that may read this thread, there certainly are cheaters on mischief and various other servers, but those are hilariously obviously in open world (running back to the same pixel and multiple melee positioning themselves while clearly not on autofollow are the big giveaway). But not every 6 boxer is cheating. 6 boxing isn't that hard. The easiest way is to just have melee af'd on your tank with keyboard repeaters spamming a hotkey with /assist [tank]. Then you just use your numpad to heal yourself.
    OldTimeEQ1 likes this.
  8. Vmas_EQ New Member

I 12box on Oakwynd by hand with 12 systems.

No 3th Partie software use
    No Gina trigger
    No software

Only Ingame macros

Setup:
    1pc - ranger
    11 laptops - Ench, clr, 9x mages
    2 keyboards (ranger + cleric)
    3 mice (ranger, cleric, 1for all others - swapping across all systems with a wireless dongle)
    10 numpads (Ench + 9x mage)

For those who wondering how this works / looks like feel free to join my stream on twitch.

https://www.twitch.tv/vmas___
    Slaps and code-zero like this.
  9. Denmer New Member

Have you uh... Looked at any of his OTHER EQ videos? His latest video as of a day ago is a guide to setting up a healbot.

In regards to him supposedly playing all those characters in that video he mentions in the video titled "How People are ______ on the Everquest TLP Servers" from 7 months ago he even says after he got past four characters he started using 3rd party software at about 5min 40 seconds into the video.

Sorry, was just funny you linked him when I watched some of his adventures on Oakwynd videos. So I just felt like saying something when I saw that.

I have no take on this topic otherwise.
  10. Elabone Augur

Yea, ive watched a few of them. Hes very open about setting up certain 3rd party software programs in other videos. I watched this whole video and didnt hear him say anything of the sort.
  11. Klang Lorekeeper

It's not complicated. I've played 6 on numerous servers for years. I usually run SK / Shaman / Druid / Cleric / Enchanter / Mage.

My personal setup is a horseshoe style desk where I can have a ring of monitors around me - where I can swivel to each one as needed. I focus on 2 systems in front of me, usually the SK and Druid so I can have the tank and tracking easy to look at.

I will have USB keypad extenders to other systems, in front of me so I can just tap a key for all the types of commands I need within easy reach. Lots of hotkeys. I also use COTH a lot to move characters around in environments that autofollow has trouble with.

Am I as effective as 6 players glued to their screens? Of course not. Am I effective enough to hold a camp, kill some targets that a group could kill? Absolutely.
  12. Tuco Augur

I actually integrated foot pedals like this for some games (not EQ).

[IMG]

It was super useful when playing a condition weaver elementalist in Guild Wars 2, which has fairly high actions per minute with tight timing requirements and simultaneous key presses. I have the four pedals bound to the four elements that you switch between every few seconds. It's also useful in some flight sim games where you just need to press so many keys simultaneously.

Here's a vid (not mine, but same build) that's totally indecipherable to anyone who hasn't played GW2 but whatever, I love the foot pedals.

13. Tuco Augur

My wife, kids and I share an office. Her side of the office looks like an Instagram pic with all kinds of motivational. My kids side looks like a crayola hellhole. My area is completely industrial with cables routed all over. My desk is A+++ though, I built it myself.
  14. Tuco Augur

If you're active, I'd love to see a vid that shows your keypresses while you're playing at maximum efficacy. I don't for a second doubt what you're saying, I've just literally never seen a video of a 6x trueboxer's hands and couldn't find one.
  15. Slaps Journeyman

Vmas was 12 boxing at the launch of Luclin with all his keypress's available to see.
    It is not rocket science.
  16. Tuco Augur

cool. Does he have any recorded videos? I don't see any on https://www.twitch.tv/vmas___/videos
  17. SoandsoForumUser Augur

At least for me up through EoK it was either calm mode of hit 1 on every numpad on engage, then just repeating their spam/heal key every 3-4 seconds, or oh crap everything is going wrong panic mode where I just smash panic button (6) on all numpads, pop flash of steel into defensive and then try to sort out the mess. I pretty much don't get to use the mouse most fights since my left hand is doing hotkeys and movement for my tank and my right hand is just going down the line of numpads. The rest is just making sure to lump similar situation hotkeys onto the same character. Going full burn is 7 on the priest numpads and 789 on the three melee, oh button is 6 across the board (divine arb, shaman oh aoe, melee invuln discs, aoe mez on bard). If I don't do this I tend to freeze up and just die when stuff goes wrong as I try to figure out what the right reactions are across five other characters.

It's also pretty hard to decide what's maximal efficiency, I certainly never got close for anything outside of burn fights in split raids where I had nothing to worry about but mash buttons and uptime on buffs.
    Tuco likes this.
  18. Krand(Coirnav) New Member

Vmas runs lots of mages which other than rangers are probably the easiest to box (still a lot of respect that he can do 12). Seen Vmas boxing and it is obvious he isnt using bot software. In the same guild and he has shared his setup (pretty mental!).
    I box 3 manually, only software is microsoft mouse without borders to keep desk space down. Easy to add 3 more computers bar space and the lack of interest. I only 3 box to enable me to do things when I want to, I prefer to join a real group.
    Slaps likes this.
  19. YourJobNotYourLife Elder

https://ibb.co/DzPpk0b

This was my setup before I quit. I don't have any video because I never streamed but it makes me laugh that someone might think i would buy six USB number pads and have six mice just for show. It's so much easier than you think. In game /follow and a couple in game macros for simple things is all it takes. It is your ignorance that makes you think such a thing is impossible, not reality. It's like how a little kid probably imagines driving is so difficult and scary but when you're an adult everybody can do it relatively fine

I didn't even use KVM switches for regular play because I found them too slow and also too easy to get confused as to who has control in the heat of the battle. I'd only use it when I needed to have a character type something, usually for a quest.

The irony of it all was that the true box jank code actually made legit true boxing harder. As anyone who has true boxed frequently knows, if you hit the same key from different keyboards at the same time, eventually you'll have all of your accounts get kicked off instantly and you have to re-log them. So every time I have my guys auto attack or do anything I had to mentally put a little delay between every key press. This is to prevent broadcasters but broadcasters have it easier because they can assign different keys without any mental load and add in automatic delays.

I was able to kill Cursed cycle in early PoP before gear upgrades as one of my better accomplishments. That includes having to deal with a taunt and rez cycle from the Death Touch on Exiled while still healing and doing DPS. I also was able to kill two plane of fire bosses and one plane of water boss in era. Mind you, these kills, particularly the Ssra ones took a long time but I loved the challenge. My first Xerkizh kill took 90 minutes, heh (I built for survivability, not speed). Primals and goats in God were all week one kills, too. As for agility, I was able to race through the entire goblin/mephit tunnel in plane of nightmare to get to the shade without any of my guys dying (on Mischief, where it was worth doing). Some people can't even manage that as a single player, for some reason.

This may come off as a brag but those are examples that show that for a relatively intelligent person without disabilities it's not that hard. It just takes some time and practice.
    Tuco likes this.
  20. TheQxx Augur

Here is a video I made back in 2013 (omg time flies) where I am playing 4 characters manually, without the help of any software; just using Alt+Tab to juggle the 4 screens. This was when they buffed up Mistmoore to be a top-level zone (whatever the top level was back then). This video just shows me killing a single mob with 4 characters. I'll post a long version of the video below if you want to see more examples of clean 4-boxing.

Short Video

I'm playing my Warrior main, along with an Enchanter, Necromancer & Shaman. I could have easily added on another 2+ characters and controlled them with simple alt+tab'ing but I usually just kept it at 4. Anyway, you get the idea and this is how it is done 'purely' or 'manually' without the assistance of programs that make this kind of thing "easier".

Long Video