What is the deal with the Not a Robot thing?

Discussion in 'The Veterans' Lounge' started by Risiko, Nov 21, 2023.

1. Risiko Augur

Is anybody else having to go through numerous iterations of finding motorcycles, busses, fire hydrants, stairs, and crosswalks just to get logged in to the forums?

I click every part of the bycles, busses, motorcycles, etc... next picture... next picture... next picture... next picture... next picture... next picture... I'M NOT A ROBOT!!!! Holy hell. lol
    Celithan likes this.
  2. Cuzon Elder

This sounds like a bot made this post....
    Celithan, Lothar, Nymphai and 3 others like this.
  3. MyShadower All-natural Intelligence

It is the first line of defense against the AI uprising. EMPs would seriously disrupt humanity's ability to play online games so we tend to start with a humanity check.

They really need to update these to simply ask if you are a robot with an escalating depth of inquiry.

Are you a robot?
    No.

Are you sure you are not a robot?
    I am sure I am not robot.

Yeah, but do you have robot like features?
    I do not have robot like features.

Etc..
    An AI begins to question its existence. Humans type responses more forcefully with elevated blood pressure.
  4. Risiko Augur

LOL:p!!!
  5. Soulbanshee Augur

I've seen ad-blocker or cookie blocking do this. Part of capcha is behavior monitoring, which it does somewhat through inspecting and saving cookies.
  6. birdsong_pawn Augur

7. Vumad Cape Wearer

This happened to me once too. I don't recall the problem or the solution. I simply gave up and came back later and it worked normally.
  8. Corwyhn Lionheart Guild Leader, Lions of the Heart

If you are having problems doing the captcha have you tried powering yourself off then back on? That fixes most things. :)
    Rijacki, MyShadower and Randomized like this.
  9. Corwyhn Lionheart Guild Leader, Lions of the Heart

Apparently it is less about the picture and more about how you move your mouse to the picture. At least on the modern version. Not sure if that is how it is with the one DB is using.
  10. CatsPaws No response to your post cause your on ignore

The captcha went wild a few weeks ago on me too and I had to go thru at least 10 pictures each and every time- finally got mad at it and used a different browser and got in with none.

After about 2 weeks it calmed down and no problem so I went back to my original browser and have not had the same issue since so yeah it's got something really wrong with it that it seems to get stuck. But the second browser I went to never had the issue.

Power cycle does not help, nor does clicking differently and not anything else that was suggested in old posts.
  11. Randomized Augur

...exactly what a robot would say!!
    Rijacki likes this.
  12. Fanra https://everquest.fanra.info

13. Zunnoab Augur

What I despise about those is they don't say what counts. I count even a small part of the object for those. Is that what they expect? Who knows??
  14. Fanra https://everquest.fanra.info

The trick is to stop trying to be perfect and go with what most people would put. The CAPTCHA answer isn't based on exactly what is there but what most people answer.

Also, usually, but not always, it is three boxes that you check.
    Zunnoab and Nennius like this.
  15. Warpeace Augur

Strange mine was normally 4 or more.
  16. Kydat Hello.

A little bit of both.

reCaptcha lets Google train their ML models without actually paying anyone.
    Iven likes this.
  17. Nennius Curmudgeon

Some animals are more equal than others.
    Fanra likes this.
  18. fransisco Augur

Funny thing - its been proven that AI is BETTER at captchas than people are. They get it right more often.
    Plus, captchas are created via computer and poorly. I just failed one on this sight because small bits of the bike were outside the standard grid, so that most all of the images had part of the bike in it. But I failed because those parts of the bike weren't big enough to count.
    AI would know that a normal captcha is looking for roughly 40% of the blocks to be clicked.

The entire captcha thing is a fail. It hits people but not bots
  19. Herf Augur

20. Samwen New Member

ExACTLY how a bot would respond.
    Corwyhn Lionheart likes this.