I want to see some videos of people manually playing 6 characters

Discussion in 'Time Locked Progression Servers' started by Blufords, Nov 18, 2023.

1. Tribbious Lorekeeper

I really don't think you will find the viseo you are looking for, but I believe your primary questiom is very shrewd.
  2. I_Love_My_Bandwidth Mercslayer

I'd show you, but then you'd have nothing to complain about.

Honestly, I have no videos of my 6 PC setup. That was 10 years ago.
  3. FranktheBank Augur

I know that arguing with you is probably pointless, since the point you are trying to prove is stupid, but here you go.

https://www.twitch.tv/videos/1981952737

I purposely chose the 'least efficient' portion of the day, but I wasn't using auto clicker because I was invising around.
    code-zero and Chyron like this.
  4. Blufords New Member

But we both know that's not what I'm asking for, that's post-truebox. I want to see someone with six computers boxing 6 characters.
  5. OldTimeEQ1 Augur

Why? Curiosity?

ProTip: Declaring "wants" doesn't really work, unless a coherent argument is made. Especially with strangers not obligated to you at all.
  6. I_Love_My_Bandwidth Mercslayer

Since we're all here, can we get a video of you "effectively" playing a single character?
  7. Numiko Augur

Does he really think hitting 1, 2, and sometimes 3 on 6 keyboards is so difficult its humanly impossible?

1 = /assist main
    2 = /pet attack (if needed)
    3 = Macro casting 4 or 5 spells

oh and bard on /Melody
    Herf likes this.
  8. FranktheBank Augur

What do you mean, I am trueboxing lol.
    I_Love_My_Bandwidth likes this.
  9. Kaenneth [You require Gold access to view this title]

I used to test software localization, 31 PCs each in a different language, doing video chat software testing simultaneously and coordinating between them a complex matrix of 'can german share desktop with japanese? can chinese video to hebrew? can italian group text chat to everyone? 6 boxing is nothing.
  10. Covfefe New Member

Not sure why you’re asking for videos. This isn’t hard to do. EQ isn’t exactly a game that requires a high action per minute output, especially early on. I didn’t play 6 but had 5 going at the same time regularly. No isoboxer but used multiplicity to cut down on the need for 5 sets of mice/keyboards. Each account had their own PC and monitor. I used a Razer naga mouse with 12 programmable buttons on side that covered most skills. As expansions progressed I added shift + keys and Ctrl + keys to cover additional abilities. I Setup quick keys to change control of m/k between different PCs to play all the characters. The key is to just get the muscle memory down, faster you change control between each account the more successful you’ll be. I would say sticking with a melee group is a bit easier if you are looking to get into it.
  11. jeskola pheerie

I can send you some videos of me, but not on here and you will have to pay a subscription to see them.
  12. Tuco Augur

I'd actually be interested in a video of players 6boxing effectively on a Truebox server without using anything fancy.

If I was into doing it seriously it'd probably be something like 6x

https://www.newegg.com/p/0GA-02TE-00036

[IMG]

With a hardware KVM to switch a single keyboard/mouse between them, and then six monitors in an 2x3 array, like, well

https://forums.daybreakgames.com/eq/index.php?threads/what-is-the-point-of-truebox.280665/

[IMG]

or

https://forums.daybreakgames.com/eq/index.php?threads/true-box-or.229275/#post-3373083

[IMG]

or

Anyway, I've never seen a vid of someone actually playing those setups at a high-level, I think it'd be fun to watch. Early EQ is so low-APM, but late-game Truebox could get to be

ForumBoss likes this.
  13. Micker99 Augur

I've done 6 before, on one pc not 6 lol. I pull with my SK and get aggro, then Alt tab on each and position, hit the first hotkey for each, then back to the SK to keep aggro, then back to each. It's a major pain, but very doable.

Having one be a bard is nice, just need to position really if you want him to melee too. Ranger with a bow is easy too, don't have to position them, just autofire. Mage with water pet. Shaman I would just slow, HoT and DoT, with a hotkey for healing. Rogue, auto backstab just need to position. Necro, just send in pet and hotkey to cast top dots. Not the most efficient, but it's very doable. After doing that, playing one character seems so boring lol. There is software out there, that lets you overlay the buttons for the other screens on one, so you can press them, without having to switch to that screen, helps a ton.
  14. Scornfire The Nimbus Prince

If you want to pay for a 2nd PC and a capture card I'll happily Stream myself 12 boxing on my laptop with nothing but manual tabbing through the instances, and using autofollow and social keys. I've tried to stream/record myself multi boxing before and it's just too choppy/low res to bother.
  15. ForumBoss Augur

Basically what Tuco posted. 1 main desktop to drive the tank, 5 wired numpads in a row behind or in front of it, and 5 mini PC's or laptops. I use laptops since they are a bit more compact and easy to take down. 2 of the laptops sit on stands above another laptop, so the set up is pretty compact.

EQ is indeed a very low APM game, and some class require very few actions, especially melee such as MNK or WAR. I almost never look at the other screens, just muscle memory hitting numpad buttons. The mouse is only really for inventory management and accepting guild hall ports/confirmation boxes.
    FranktheBank likes this.
  16. FranktheBank Augur

Having pg up/down, end, and tab are all pretty great as well
  17. Raptorjesus5 Augur

I did 5 + Healer merc for a short while on Live, but I honestly didn't think it was worth the extra hassle over 3 + 3 mercs.

TLP requires much less input than live.

That being said, just because you CAN 6 box, doesn't mean a lot/most people doing it aren't cheating.
  18. Cainen Augur

This. 3+3 mercs is just so much easier then 6 real toons for 99% of group content. Different story for raid of course.
  19. Cuzon Elder

I six boxed from launch to just before Luclin on Oakwynd. I used my pc, a laptop, a surface tablet, and 3 mini PCs. I created hotkeys and used 5 USB keypads to control the characters that were not on my PC. I played a paladin, druid, bard, enchanter, and 2 mages. It wasn't hard at all. No software other than EQ and windows was used.
  20. Chuuk Augur

Early game, maybe <L75, you can pretty easily get 75-90% effectiveness out of your group 6-boxing without any real software. Especially in the 1-60 game, you can get damn near 100% effectiveness if you use casters - positioning is a teensy bit tricky with melees. Movement becomes a bit of a pain in zones where AF tends to flub, but it's not so bad as long as you're not underwater.

Once you get 80+, it becomes more and more difficult to make your boxes effective without some type of keystroke-broadcasting software. I had a 6-box of L115s once upon a time and I could hardly get my mage and wiz boxes (group geared) to do much more than a merc using alt-tabbing and hotkeys. The game becomes so sensitive to clicks_per_second that making a macro with /pauses to cast will inevitably be a bit slower than just mashing.

So, if you see someone smashing content with a 6-box in Velious, it's very possible they're doing so without any helpful software. But if you see a group of 100+'s smashing thru content, they're probably using some software.