I want to see some videos of people manually playing 6 characters

Discussion in 'Time Locked Progression Servers' started by Blufords, Nov 18, 2023.

1. Blufords New Member

Playing them effectively.

And I mean videos of them actually sitting there playing the game.
    Taladir likes this.
  2. FranktheBank Augur

I streamed this whole week 5 boxing SoD prog... I guess if you think there is a huge difference between 5 and 6 boxing, then it probably doesnt matter, but like... what do you think you are going to uncover?
  3. Blufords New Member

With absolutely no software to duplicate your keypresses and on 5 separate computers, right?
    Taladir likes this.
  4. error Augur

I manually control 3 characters, could easily double that if I were inclined to. Yes, there are cheat programs people use to automate boxes, but that's hardly necessary for normal boxing. People using such software are usually obvious as they're either afk farming for weeks at a time, or they're controlling entire raid forces.
  5. Herf Augur

FYI people use wireless numpads to run their less challenging boxes. Wizards, mages, bsts, rangers, etc. only need a few keys to assist, nuke, dot, pet attack. For main assists or tanks the boxer probably uses a full keyboard and mouse since they need to position the mobs, move around, etc.

The only real PITA is when taking a string of boxes into some place like SSRA, where the boxes get stuck on corners in corridors, or Plane of Water where you have to manouver boxes in the vertical plane to get through caves.

Good 6 boxers also use two rows of 3 monitors each on vertical monitor mounts attached to their table.
  6. FranktheBank Augur

I toggle broadcasting to say "ready" or other quest text, but not during actually fighting.

It should be noted that you did not say without software, because broadcaster software like [Unmentioned 3rd Party Software] is "allowed" on non-truebox servers. (I use quotes, because due to the 'official statement' nothing is allowed, but [Unmentioned 3rd Party Software] is something they can and have toggled on/off).
    code-zero likes this.
  7. FranktheBank Augur

Also you ignored the question.
    code-zero likes this.
  8. Skuz I am become Wrath, the Destroyer of Worlds.

6 boxing 6 characters is doable 100% manually, I've done it in the past using tab-switching all from 1 PC, there's no secret all it requires is knowledge, practice & plenty of good macro-use, you will not be operating all 6 at more than basic functionality but that's plenty good enough to get a lot of stuff done.

Nowadays I am more used to 3 boxing on TLP using 3 PC's so my 6 boxing skills have long ago atrophied.

What you have to remember is people don;t generally go from playing 1 character to 6 right away, they start with 2 then 3 etc, it takes most players a few years to progress all the way to 6 boxing manually, it's a learned skill for sure and when you take into account players can be boxing for hours a day they learn it pretty well.
  9. Brickhaus Augur

For 8 years I played 6 characters on 6 different computers (for the last 8 years, it's been 6 on 2 computers). The hardest part was figuring out how to place the 6 keyboards and mice so that they could be reached without chair rolling movement. Once that was accomplished, I actually found it easier than later when I switched to 2 computers. Having instantaneous access to a character instead of having to flip through windows was so nice, especially when switching from tanking to crowd control to dps to whatever. In either of my setups, I've never used anything but WinEQ2 before it stopped working for free and that was only to tab between windows.

I had a few people who played come over and see my setup. They were amazed, but it was really just proper planning (having in game macros available with a single key press to do the things I wanted to do with each character), muscle memory (by the end of the 8 years, I could pretty much play in the dark by only the glow of the monitors) and proper play to my setup and abilities. It's not that hard ... anyone could do it if they wanted to. A lot cannot because they would be too impatient to play the way I did.

I don't have any videos because I don't make videos. You seem skeptical of people being able to do something that is clearly physically possible (just layout 6 keyboards and mice on a desk setup ... voila it can be done!). I know for a fact that there were others like me (because I talked to various people during those years).

My question to you is ... why does this matter to you?
  10. MileyVyrus Elder

Some people like to pretend their 24/7 undivided attention to their single character mage is even 10% more efficiency than me hitting "-" to assist main and send pet, 1 on the keypad to nuke, and tab and then "3" to malo a charm pet break. And then hitting burnout once an hour or damage shield every dozen minutes or so if i'm feeling extra saucy.

As everyone has pointed out the hardest part is moving toons from point a to point b.. spots where you have to page down and page up everyone to get thru water in places like lower seb, kedge, PoN goblin caves, SG etc...

If someone has 2 monks a rogue a paladin and a beastlord all doing constant combat rolls and melee adjusting, thats your botter. Someone with mages and rangers burning norrath to the ground is just someone that realized how simple you can be 95% as effective in DPS as an active mage or ranger.

And anyone who's ever been in a pickup group and realized there is always 2 people completely afk at all times..... The real boxer advantage is no one is being secretly PLed while watching netflix and all dps is constantly going as long as he's pulling. You can always tell the PUG vs a boxer or guild group by the sheer number of living and thriving mobs surrounding a PUG camp. It's embarrassing.
    twoolley1 likes this.
  11. FranktheBank Augur

All good points. I understand some ppl enjoy maximizing their attn on 1 toon, that's legit. But a monk main doing 20% more dmg than my box monk is doing a lot less than my war/mnk combined. Just different ways to play.

I don't want to try to make a pick up group to go camp an aug for my warrior. I don't want to be concerned if the pug shaman is gonna have all his spells, know when to slow and when to heal, etc etc.
  12. Forbick Journeyman

Is OP attempting to suggest that 6 boxing with 6 computers is too hard for people? I don't understand what he is trying to get at. Is he making an assumption that all 6 boxers are cheaters? It is actually quite easy to make a hotkey and press it one time to cast at least 3 spells and assist on one character. Do that times 6 and your group just follows the hotkey each time you press all 6 keyboards, It really isn't difficult...
    code-zero and Skuz like this.
  13. Randomized Augur

I'm going to assume this.

While i've never gone above 4 boxing, I'm confident in my ability to pull off 6 if I truly wanted to
    Skuz likes this.
  14. I_Love_My_Bandwidth Mercslayer

I've done both. 6 PCs vs 6-boxing on 1PC using software.

The difference? Moving 6 toons on 6 PCs is WAYYY easier than moving 6 toons on 1 PC due to framerate induced lag.

The rest of it is just hotkeys, mash bars, and macros. Easy stuff once you've done it successfully.

What is this thread supposed to prove, anyway?
    code-zero, Kahntaur and Skuz like this.
  15. Forbick Journeyman

Just sounds like a salty guy complaining to me
    Skuz and Appren like this.
  16. Blufords New Member

Where's the videos of someone sitting at their computer playing six characters?
    I see lots of words, no video.
  17. KimchiGoddess Augur

It's almost like no one cares that you think something completely possible is only doable by cheating.
    code-zero, Skuz and Appren like this.
  18. Blufords New Member

Make a simple request — for something that is according to the other posters in this thread very common and easy to do — with no implications, certain people immediately get defensive and make assumptions.
    Curious.
  19. KimchiGoddess Augur

You aren't owed anything. If you want that, then go use google and youtube and find it yourself. No one is obligated to produce something because you demand it.
    Rijacki and Skuz like this.
  20. OldTimeEQ1 Augur

It is kind of an odd request (didn't sound like. a request though), kinda coming across as implying that 6 boxers cheat. Probably why people are a bit miffed, understandably.

OP, if you want to see some amazingly coordinated 10 to 14 boxer, go to any Siren's Grotto pick on Oakwynd. Behold all characters moving with precision all the time, including the exact steps the puller takes and exact points of turning etc.

Bask in the adrotiness and superhuman synchronised skill of the truebox player behind those chars.