Alternate Persona

Discussion in 'The Veterans' Lounge' started by FranktheBank, Oct 4, 2023.

1. Bernel Augur

Waiting to try personas on your characters is a prudent decision. Copy your main to the Test server and try out personas there. Test server characters should come with at least one free persona slot so people can test them out without worrying about breaking their main character on their home server.

Is purchasing a persona slot per character, per server, or per account? Are the free persona slots you get from pre-ordering going to mean that all characters on your account have that many persona slots? Or do you only have X free persona slots to distribute among all your characters?
    Kaenneth likes this.
  2. Micker99 Augur

Probably when the company actually discusses Personas with us and tells us about what they plan for them and explains them more. A million pages about player race, who cares? Let's get the system working and then worry about the minor details like race combo. If you can get an illusion and turn into that race, what's the difference? Don't answer that question, because there are a hundred more important ones to discuss.
    Marton and Nennius like this.
  3. Bernel Augur

One thing that would be nice is if one of your personas could buff another. For instance, if one persona is a high level Druid, it would be nice to be able to cast Druid buffs on the other personas like I can with a true alt. Perhaps I could do something like "summon" a persona so I could buff it from my main or one of my other personas. One of the benefits being discussed for personas is that you can swap out and buff other party members with a persona. That's great for the other party members, but your main won't get the buffs.
    ForumBoss likes this.
  4. Iven the Lunatic

If I would be mad on you, I would not try to save your teeth and instead just bomb you with licorice.
    I guess that I am too late. Too late for love licorice. :p See how good I am to you ?
  5. Micker99 Augur

Buffing will be much easier, just need another person in your group with a druid or shammy etc persona. They could make it where your buffs carry over to all your personas/main, just not the self buffs.
  6. Iven the Lunatic

Would be interesting to see how that would affect lag and game balance as everyone would be convinced to box for the extra buffs and then running around with double as much buffs than now. It would also lower the interaction with other players. Seems like the decision got made, to further boxing and soloing, which is already the biggest audience.
  7. Randomized Augur

How is it any different than going AFK at a lag pile for buffs and then running off and doing whatever you want?

I dont box and have zero issues getting buffs
  8. Bernel Augur

I think it will be a lot of work to get personas up to the max level in order to dole out max level buffs. Right now, the persona won't be able to get the exp bonus from achievements since they are already checked if the main did them. It'll be a reasonable effort to get personas to under 100 with regular PLing and adventuring, but it will be a lot of work to get them to 100+. In most cases, I would guess that personas will typically be giving out buffs that are many levels below your main. That'll still be useful for things like SoW, invis, levitation, etc., but the buffs for things like regen, clarity, skin, etc. will likely be be too low level from personas to be useful to the main group.
  9. Velisaris_MS Augur

Unless personas get a SERIOUS xp boost/bonus to level them up, I honestly don't think many people will bother with them...especially if all they're gonna use them for are buffs and ports and other utility functions. Most people probably have already made those types of alts and leveled them up a long time ago and just use Overseer to keep them current; that's what I do. I can't see people wanting to go through the hell of leveling the same type of toon again, especially without the achievement xp.
  10. Iven the Lunatic

One idea behind it might be the replay factor which does give those players something to do that are done with a new expansion in a few months. It would also repopulate lower and mid level content. Both effects would be good for the game.

It would also grant players are more enjoyable way to level up while not having to farm progression and other repetitive achievements like clickies, Shard's Landing portals, CoTF portals, and so on, again. Roleplay wise it is weird when one character can turn into other classes, so it is a technical QoL feature. Seems to be an alternative version of letting characters age and die for a second life and to become more powerfull by doing so.

It is also interesting for those players that want to add some more classes to their limited account space and who do not want to create another account for that. Hopefully the devs will tell us more about the background soon.
  11. Kaenneth [You require Gold access to view this title]

Personas aside, I still want the 15/16th slots to be unlockable, so I can have one of each race/class on each account. People who had the super-premium accounts back when I was disabled and on food stamps have them, I'd like some way to get them now that I have money to spare.
    code-zero likes this.
  12. Skuz I am become Wrath, the Destroyer of Worlds.

I did not ask if you knew EVERY quest, you saying that is a bad-faith response using bad-faith logic.

I asked if you knew ANY that checked for both Race and Class, I hoped you understood the word "any" can mean one or more.

Ahh, so you didn't understand at all.

Cultural Armor Quests are for the patterns and do not check for class only race, the items have Race & Class restrictions on them.

Spirit & Faith Stones are tradeskilled items that do not check for race or class to craft, they are items that have race & class restrictions.

What are these other quests which check for both Class & Race that you claim exist?
    Note, I am not asking about items.

We are still at you know zero but claim they exist so far.

Another poster has given one example which was Newbie Armor Quests but you can't use that one as they gave it and you are the one asserting there are many that exist with no evidence of the supposition there are many.
    MasterMagnus likes this.
  13. DeadRagarr Augur

General overview from Beta CURRENT patch of this post date:

Cash Shop/payment:
    Prices - listed on Beta at one time but I can't find the token now. Prices mean nothing on beta but IIRC was 1000 DayBroke Coins. <Can be wrong here as was just memory>.

Per character unlock + Token per class unlock. A total account with 8 character slots can have up to 128 toons per server, not that you would want to, but you could in theory.

Creation:
    When you create a persona you enter a character creation screen much like you do when you make a character - Class is locked to the persona you are making - Races are locked to useable races for that class. You can select everything from appearance/stats/deity/starting city etc. After creation you log into new persona as you would a brand new character at starting are with starting items alongside your old items <Newbie items/Guild Master Note>.

Findings:

Swapping Persona's - Can only be done out of combat and in fast regen mode. It can be done in combat area's. Currently instant cast and no CD.

Factions are persona specfic - Watchman dreeb cons amiably to my Gnome agnostic warrior but KoS to my Iksar. Faction Tab also reflects this. Meaning one persona can be KoS while another Ally.

Bind Points - Each persona has their own bind points.

Achievements - Some work as cross persona <AA unlock for example is cross all toons>, but some others feel bugged such as Epic achievements. For example my warrior showed "Obtain cleric epic 1.0". It did at one point swap to warrior then randomly swap back. Zoning/relogging doesn't seem to fix the issue. Skills achievements however do represent all your toons <Had cleric/beast/warrior all there to unlock>.

Mercs - You maintain the same bought mercenaries, but swapping does suspend a merc.

Buffs are character specific. No cross buffing. Buffs maintain on your persona's similar to logging off an alt with buffs.

Zone Req's - Swapping to a low level toon in a level req zone will DC you currently <Tested with PoFear swapping from max level to level 1 person.

UI files - Entirely New UI build for new Persona system. UI_Tester_Beta_War vs UI_Tester_Beta_CLR for example. UI does not currently swap between persona's on click, but you can swap layouts with /copy layout command. It will save hotbuttons etc for each persona, if you select a character that isn't your same class non-usable buttons simply say Not Usable similar to monster missions.

Special AA's - Character specific and timers tick down while in other persona's. Example: My I created a cleric persona and used throne of heroes. Throne was put on its timer. I then swapped my persona to a warrior I made originally and throne was off CD. Swapping back to cleric but Throne back on CD.

Stuff that won't happen with Persona's:
    No All/All race/class - it won't be a thing stop asking. We need new models first before ever going into all/all. And we all know how well people LOVED the human model update and drakkin models. Classic models would need to die as well or 100% be revamped, and then people would just hate on it.

No alt merge - Creating a persona creates a brand new character.
  14. MasterMagnus The Oracle of AllHigh

Thank you for testing and returning here to give the most concise report yet! I really appreciate your effort.

I'm aware things could still change.

But thank you again for not being that one guy who goes through 60 pages making stuff up without having a clue.
  15. Sissruukk Rogue One

While not picking sides in this particular argument, ones that come to mind are the Iksar racial/class quests that I remember doing when RoK came out (I worked on, but never finished, the warrior weapon).
    Skuz likes this.
  16. Waring_McMarrin Augur

Because I can't think of one on the spot that means there are no quests over the 25 years of everquest that are limited to a race/class/deity that would be impacted by the idea of all races being all classes?

And you hit on the problem, none of those final items exist for the race/class/deity combinations that don't exist and they would need to be added in order to address the player complaints that would be raised if the did all races can be all classes.
  17. Eezey New Member

I know we probably wont ever get a All Race/class, but I think they would allow option for A Newer model. On that note, there is so much work if they were to do a model/graphic upgrade. So many Ornaments would need to be adjusted for the new models and all.

I dont think they would ditch the old models though, theres a good handful of people who still like using it. Personally I love the animations for the old models but I kind of hate the new model animations.
  18. Tyranthraxus Grognard

Well, how this usually goes is there's pages of discussion positive and negative, the community asks questions and makes requests/demands, and then Waring comes in and tells everyone their wrong and fights for a few pages until someone attacks him personally and the thread gets shut down. Shouldn't be long now...
    Micker99 and jeskola like this.
  19. Iven the Lunatic

Those will be abused. Part of a solution would be to allow persona changes and persona bind points only in a few zones like PoK and Guild Lobby.
  20. Eezey New Member

Probably but honestly, if you bind yourself in a spot where certain factions can KoS you, death loop and your screwed.