Alternate Persona

Discussion in 'The Veterans' Lounge' started by FranktheBank, Oct 4, 2023.

1. Eezey New Member

All races can equip any armor type in the game, there wouldn't be any missing armor graphics.
    No missing animations either. Quests and items and combines and class bits that would be out of place, it would require extra work.

I can see/know that if they were to open to All race/classes it would result them into needing to change Every armor/weapon into their proper racial/class slots that would work. Its a LOT of backlog to do to change all of it, as much as I would like that or certain changes. I doubt they would do it, just SO much work. Plus the TLP servers would have to have restrictions as well for this or they would only want x and y on it.
  2. Waring_McMarrin Augur

This is not true in earlier expansions where gear especially tradeskill gear is limited by race/class/deity and for some race/class combinations it would not exist and would need to be created so that they have the same armor choices as existing race/class combinations.
  3. Randomized Augur

In a scenario such as this one, with tradeskill gear for example, where everythingis identical and only the name changes, how hard would it be to copy paste with a new name to add in the missing gear slots (gnome + leather for example)
  4. Waring_McMarrin Augur

Even if it is just copy and paste there is still a lot of items and recipes to make over a lot of expansions and who knows what else we haven’t thought of that would be missing/‘broken for the new race/class combinations. It would be a large amount of work overall for little gain.
  5. FranktheBank Augur

One day you will stop parroting this unfounded, nonsense argument. EQ is held together by duct tape and string and is full of unfinished, unpolished or straight broken content. The idea that there is some imaginary line drawn in the sand at barbarian's not having a flying kick or animation is absolutely insane.

Given how the persona system currently is, they just add a pop up (one already exists on character select) that "if you make a non-default available combination, there may be animations/graphics/items that do not function. If you run into an item you believe should be usable, please submit a bug report, thank you"

Coddling you and the other 4 people you know that have a problem with this is no reason to not implement a feature that (I would be willing to bet) the overwhelming majority would enjoy.

This.
    Luminus, Rikantiz, Skuz and 1 other person like this.
  6. Waring_McMarrin Augur

What exactly is unfounded about the idea that Daybreak wouldn’t want to allow for all races to be all classes because of the amount of things that are missing from them? Why do you think that there would be enough value returned from allowing all races to be all classes that it would make up for the amount of work needed to add in all the missing things?

You acknowledge that they move on to the next thing and at the same time suggest they are going to go back to allow for all races to be all classes?
  7. Skuz I am become Wrath, the Destroyer of Worlds.

Can you name any quests which check for both race & class? or is this pure supposition.

I know epics check for level & class and some racial & factional quests exist but I can't think of any that are resticted by both class AND race.

Some items are, like the Plane of Hate loot from Innoruuk but it's pretty limited,
  8. Waring_McMarrin Augur

Why should I be expected to know every quest out there? There are plenty of tradeskilll cultural armor items that do not exist for each race/class out there. There are also various quests that give items for a class based on what race/deity the player is such as spirit/faith stones for priests and various click effect items for them as well.
  9. KushallaFV Playing EverQuest

Yes, why you should have to provide any examples for a discussion? Preposterous.
  10. Waring_McMarrin Augur

I have provided examples.
  11. FranktheBank Augur

... Because there is no foundation for your thoughts. Show some communication with a dev that backs your argument. I think the value is in your statement, that they no longer have to worry about class/race restrictions.

I acknowledge that is what they do. It's (imo) a very bad policy and we shouldnt just accept it.

Edit: As far as "going back", neither of us know how difficult or easy it would be to change the class/race part of the character creation. I would accept a dev answer if they commented "it's too fragile/cumbersome/difficult/etc" but in lieu of a dev comment, I will not accept what you say as factual (because it rarely is) and will continue to have a conversation. That's called acting in good faith. You should try it on occasion.
  12. Waring_McMarrin Augur

Why would communication with a dev be needed to show that there are unsupported armor type graphics? Or unsupported animations? Or that there are tradeskills/quests that result in items that are limited to a specific race/class/deity? Why do you think that there would be much value returned from suddenly allowing all races to be all classes when factoring in all the work to add in all the missing things?

The simple fact is that there is a lot of things that would need to be added to past expansions and even if each item itself isn’t a lot of work it would quickly add up making it a lot of work.
  13. KushallaFV Playing EverQuest

Why do you think there would be no value?
  14. Randomized Augur

Newbie armor quest lines?

But this isn't new? Epic quest lines revisited old zones from original. Tacked on new quest tags and loot items to old NPCs.

No idea how much work would truly be involved with "back-flagging", but this isnt unheard of
  15. FranktheBank Augur

Holy crap, please exhibit some kind of reading comprehension. You cant even keep track of your own arguments.

WARING: "What exactly is unfounded about the idea that Daybreak wouldn’t want to allow for all races to be all classes because of the amount of things that are missing from them?"

That was what you asked.

ALSO WARING: "Why would communication with a dev be needed to show that there are unsupported armor type graphics?"

That has nothing to do with your initial question.

Do you see your error?
  16. DeadRagarr Augur

All race/class isn’t the starting point. New models would be and we saw what happened when they tried that (Drakkin/human update models). If Eq players want all/all sorry classic models need to die.
  17. Waring_McMarrin Augur

Did I say no value? Or did I say that the value they got from it would be low? Honestly how many people would be making a new character or race changing to one of the newly created combinations?
  18. Waring_McMarrin Augur

And I did not say anything about epic quest lines as those are unlikely to be the only ones impacted by this type of change.
  19. Waring_McMarrin Augur

I have been including things besides armor graphics and animations in my posts for a while. This includes things such as tradeskill items, cultural armor, spirt/faith stones, other race/class/deity trade skill clickies.

There is much more missing/broken in regards to the idea of all races being all classes besides graphics related issues.

Let me add in the post you are quoting to show that you edited and removed part of my repluy.

20. FranktheBank Augur

I removed the irrelevant or redundant parts. You have not answered my question. Nor have you brought up anything relevant to my complaint about your post.

Once again, you asked the following...

WARING: "What exactly is unfounded about the idea that Daybreak wouldn’t want to allow for all races to be all classes because of the amount of things that are missing from them?"

Then you support this with the following...

ALSO WARING: "Why would communication with a dev be needed to show that there are unsupported armor type graphics?..."
    ALSO ALSO WARING: "There is much more missing/broken in regards to the idea of all races being all classes besides graphics related issues."

Neither of those lines have anything to do with the company saying anything. It's all YOU saying things. You are not an employee. Unless you want to speak officially as a CRC member then has been given this information.

Do you see your error?