Alternate Persona

Discussion in 'The Veterans' Lounge' started by FranktheBank, Oct 4, 2023.

1. Jisoo New Member

I get that but you can be a High Elf Pal then make a persona a Troll SHM correct? Again there is no FAQ?
  2. Schadenfreude Augur

Yes.
  3. Bernel Augur

That's how it's working at the moment. When you create a persona, you go to a limited version of the character select screen where the class is preselected and unchangeable. You can then pick the race and gender. When you pick a Shaman persona, the character select screen will only allow you to pick the races which can be a Shaman.
    code-zero likes this.
  4. Luminus New Member

Endgame feature? Obviously, you've never played FFXIV so probably best not to comment on things you don't know about.

Being able to be all classes on one character is something many will enjoy. Not having to keep buying character slots to play a different class is a big feature. Of course, they've ruined that by making you have to buy persona slots instead.
  5. Eezey New Member

Should just open up with. Everyone can be any class they want with any race, but Lore-wise it would go against it.
  6. code-zero Augur

Personally I have no issues with the racial and deity restrictions remaining in place on the classes. I'm certainly not in love with any particular race nor do I think that a race/class combo would be "fun" whatever that means to anyone else. There are a few races I actually loathe for being so large that they require a shrink to do things or so small they get stuck on stairs but that's a gameplay thing
  7. Xeoh35 New Member

I can forsee myself using the Alternate Persona system on my box characters with specific rules. For instance, my tank char account will maybe make a paladin and warrior Alternate Persona, and swap i t depending on the encounter. DPS, separate them with armor type. For instance a leather class dps like monk / bst, chain for Zerker / Rog etc.

About the exp gain for the Alternate Personas, they can borrow the Armory System in FFXIV. The non main Job / Class gets a 50% exp bonus on everything so long as their level is below the main Job / Class level. In EQ, tune it so that it does not become a slog on leveling with the loss of achievement exp obtained from finishing the mission / heroic task / quest for the first time.
  8. Skuz I am become Wrath, the Destroyer of Worlds.

This is how it is on Beta right now.
  9. Skuz I am become Wrath, the Destroyer of Worlds.

How does the current system fit lore wise when you can swap races & genders so easily?

Before AP it was a semi-permanent paid for change with a Scroll purchased from the market place but your class was still locked & it was nowhere near as easy or cheap to swap whenerver you wanted, unless you like spending a fortune on the marketplace.

I would argue strongly that swapping classes is much closer to a real world example of the possible, swapping genders & races at will is far from it.

EQ with the current AP system is going to need to retcon the lore that "Adventurers" are now a unique species of shapeshifter who can alter gender & race at will I guess.

I have worked dozens of different jobs & have a range of skills learned in each but none of that lets me swap from man to woman or back at the click of a finger, nor can I change race as easily. I can't just go "bosh, now I am a Female Chinese Construction Worker" then a few minutes later "bosh, now I am a Male African Chef", few hours later "bosh, now I am a Female Filipino Naval Officer" but that's what EQ just made it's Adventurers capable of.

AP system current race & gender swapping breaks EQ lore far more than swapping to all classes as a singular race ever could.
    Tyranthraxus likes this.
  10. Waring_McMarrin Augur

EQ doesn’t support all races being all classes because of the amount of content that would be missing from the new combinations. This includes missing graphics and animations for those combinations as well as the quests, tradeskills, and items that don’t support the race/class/deity combination. It isn’t just a matter of enabling all combinations and telling players to deal with all the missing parts.
  11. code-zero Augur

Any all/all discussion requires removal any and all innate racial bonuses that have any sort of significant effect on combat. No more enhanced regen, AC perks or stun immunity at all. Oh sure those sort of disappear when you reach higher level but starting out those are significant and the only thing that came close to being as overpowered in the early was the EXP boost that Halflings had taken away.
  12. Eezey New Member

Like "Evil Races" choosing Paladin and suchforth.
    But I do get what you are saying, the whole "Shapeshifting" thing seems a bit more wild. It could be done just All Classes All Races. I wouldn't mind if it was just locked to "Current Race" All Classes. Bring out the Moon Kitty Shadow Knights.
    Skuz likes this.
  13. Tuco Augur

I can imagine them making AP all/all in the future, but it's unreasonable to expect them to make such a massive change in the next few weeks.
  14. Iuwene Augur

Come on... If you cant play the race with your favorite class, thats what illusions are for...
    code-zero likes this.
  15. Eezey New Member

Funny you say that, There is no Vah Shir Illusion outside of Enchanter/Rogue/Bard.
  16. Skuz I am become Wrath, the Destroyer of Worlds.

You gonna give everyone who wants a Troll illusion the nobles to buy the clickie for that then? I hope you have a few billion plat lying around.

And oh look at all the Ogre Illusion clickies that exist for non-bards...all none of them.

Sure there are potions but I cba with that nonsense.
  17. Skuz I am become Wrath, the Destroyer of Worlds.

Halflings were not supposed to get the EXP bonus to begin with, it was intended to be for Humans but someone screwed up.

I like Racial benefits but rather than remove the existing ones I would rather see some added to the races who had stuff removed & added to those who had nothing to begin with.
    Barton likes this.
  18. Skuz I am become Wrath, the Destroyer of Worlds.

I doubt it, and not because of any excuses about quests or animations, but because EverQuest has a long history of "moving onto the next thing" when it comes to features released with expansions, it is extremely rare for them to go back and add stuff to any feature later on, Overseer is a noticeable exception to that. Most every other feature has been "one & done" or close to it.

Next year will have a.n.other feature to sell the expansion & AP will be far in the rear-view mirror by then.
    FranktheBank likes this.
  19. Skuz I am become Wrath, the Destroyer of Worlds.

Thank you for pointing that out for the benefit of the 0.0001% of players who had no clue about that, top bloke you are.
    Barton likes this.
  20. Micker99 Augur

Exactly, it will be a huge QoL improvement for a lot of people. Having to log on alts, bring them to a camp, log on your main, get them there, then switch between them to buff, TP whatever is time consuming and annoying. Definitely the biggest benefit will be ease of travel and buffing. I imagine the most popular personas will be Rogue and/or Bard for travel, wizards/druids for TP, Mage for CoTH. At least at first, I think the personas will be more utility for your main, than a character you actually play. Just buy a few 85/100 heroic toon upgrades and you are gtg.