Alternate Persona

Discussion in 'The Veterans' Lounge' started by FranktheBank, Oct 4, 2023.

1. CdeezNotes Augur

How does it only matter for initial launch? That makes no sense. New TLPs come out yearly.

Also, early ear gear is usually broken out by archetype or armor type classes. There isn't that much overlap besides jewelry and charms. Even then it's not consistent.

Regardless, there isn't going to be much a chance to reuse main gear on the alt persona unless they start making everything all/all and/or removing distiller requirements. I don't see either happening so your entire argument is going up in flames.
  2. Velisaris_MS Augur

A month since the teaser post about Alternate Personas.

A month-ish until the expansion goes live.

And they STILL have not put out any official information about what the hell this is supposed to be and how it's supposed to work. It's the feaking selling point feature of the expansion for crying out loud, and no one knows anything about it...including the devs.

At this point, I think it would be in their best interest to just scrap it entirely and implement the Legacy/heirloom item rules from Oakwynd on all servers. Then, at some point, just make achievements/tradeskills/keys like Overseer and apply it all to every toon on the account, per server. That seems like the easiest most logical thing to do.
    Kaenneth and KushallaFV like this.
  3. Marton Augur

Per Adetia's post, CRT members were given info about personas. They were told that they can share a part of that info package with EQ community. If he summed up what was allowed to be shared, we would not have 55 pages of convo.
  4. Nennius Curmudgeon

I suspect that they will. Klanderso got this unexpectedly and getting it into a shape that can be released will take time. And then the speculation can at least slow.
  5. KushallaFV Playing EverQuest

For those curious, when you make a new Persona it sends you to the character select screen. Swapping seems like it only works in non-combat zones.
  6. DeadRagarr Augur

Well its not shroud 2.0. It is legit class swapping. Create a new character <Race/religon/starting city>, and can swap between them.

It is looking good so far props to the devs so far. Just needs a couple kinks worked out it seems.
  7. uberkingkong Augur

Hope they know that, if they were tasked with

- How do we get newplayers/returners to the game, make the game newplayer/returner friendly.

Alternate Personas is not the solution.

The person that played 100 hours, he didn't quit because he couldn't figure class to pick, nor was playing a bad class, and wanted to switch.
    Nothing to do with class and switching and yada yada in that regard.

So, if
    - What can we do for newplayers/returners

Thats not something people going to return for about.
    No one oogling over EQ can swap classes.

This is an end game player feature. In FFXIV thats end game player feature.

So
    - What can we do for newplayers/returners

You haven't done squat for them. Its another end player only expansion.
  8. yodo Augur

You can swap in any zone as long as you meet the requirements for the zone and are in fast regen mode.
    Micker99 and code-zero like this.
  9. uberkingkong Augur

Yeah this would make sense.
    Curious if its same toon.

Say I'm in Deepshade and I get full wiped. But I did my alternate persona on a cleric toon and parked em at that camp. Rez up the other people, vice versa.

Or if you get whooped and in GL and alternate persona follows your location every toon.

If you can hot camp personas, thinking be pretty crazy, camp up super rare nameds on Bard/Ranger persona in different zones. Check every 30 minutes.

Again though.
    EQ's core vision.
    Exploration, grouping, roleplaying.

Goes away goes away goes away.
    This is why we need EQ3.
    Keep EQ classic, keep EQ EQ.
  10. HighElfPlayer Journeyman

It has been two weeks, any update? I apologize if I didn't notice it posted somewhere.
  11. Sissruukk Rogue One

It took us 5 years to get over 1K messages on the meme thread. It only took a bit over a month on this thread. We are certainly passionate about this topic.
    Nennius likes this.
  12. Evertrek Augur

i had hoped that my persona would be the same level as my main. each persona would need their own loadout.
  13. Micker99 Augur

Ok awesome, that makes sense. One poster on here, was saying you were going have to be in specific zones to change. That would have completely ruined the biggest benefits of personas. This sounds like it is going to be a very awesome addition!
  14. Tuco Augur

If they don't change up how you can't get the ToV / ToL achievement XP on a persona if you have it on your main, it's going to be a loooong haul to get a new persona to level cap.

Or more likely, people will just level them via Overseer.

I had kinda hoped that APs would create a sort of alt-leveling renaissance, with lots of people levelingup their personas, but the rules around required level for gear and the difficulty of leveling from 110 to 120 make that unlikely.
  15. Skuz I am become Wrath, the Destroyer of Worlds.

Changes are almost inevitable, but people love buffs & hate nerfs so always better to start out from a position of having lots of room to add rather than needing to remove to make a system work well.
    Tuco likes this.
  16. Skuz I am become Wrath, the Destroyer of Worlds.

I really like the concept of AP.

Very unhappy about the Race-Change being required.

I expected AP would have some aspect to it I would hate but I'm not going to disguise my disappointment, and this really does feel like Shrouds 2.0 since I am still not playing my character if I am another race, okay so at least it is a player race and not some monster-race the shroud system 1.0 had but it's still a half-measure in my opinion.

So I guess the "locked to only playing the classes available to your race" is actually the case if you are against being forced into race-changing to play classes your race has no access to.

This definitely lowers the value AP to me.

Still a few people will be happy they get to feel pompous about it for a while so at least not everyone will be disappointed.
  17. Bernel Augur

What I can see myself using personas for are for adding on the abilities of other classes to my main. If my main can't track, I'll create a Bard persona and use it for tracking. If my main can't port, I'll create a Druid or Wiz persona and use it for ports. If my main is a Druid, I'll create a Wiz persona to have access to the Wiz ports. I don't envision myself using the persona as an actual alt or playing it as I would play a main. I see myself using personas for temporary abilities that are lacking in my main.
    Tallie, Micker99 and code-zero like this.
  18. Velisaris_MS Augur

That's probably going to be what like 90% of players use them for...buffs, ports, rezzes, tracking, etc. That and possibly filling in needed spots on raids, if it doesn't take too long to level/gear them. I don't think anyone will actually be "playing" them past the initial novelty "what is this?" period.

I could possibly see making a rogue and a mage persona on one account...use the rogue to get to where I need to be, swap to the mage and call my other toons/rest of my group. That's basically all I would need. And that's if they get rid of the normal xp slog to level them, otherwise it's just a gimmick I won't waste my time with.
    Micker99 likes this.
  19. Jisoo New Member

Where is this information or is just speculation?
    WeCameWeConquered and Nennius like this.
  20. Schadenfreude Augur

They have the same race/class restrictions as any other level 1.